McLaren's secret weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.forumula1.net/2008/f1/f1-news/mclarens-secret-weapon/

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/08/20/mclaren-mercedes-have-25bhp-more/

Quote:
I had a chat with Mark Humphries from McLaren’s fuel and lubricants supplier Mobil 1 the Friday before last. Now, I wouldn’t imagine for a second that he would freely admit to having boosted Mercedes’ power output by 25bhp. But he did have some interesting things to say about a new lubricant they introduced a few races ago, which was reported at the time.

At Silverstone we were able to put new oil in the car. Since then, it’s been a very successful couple of races. We think we’ve found something.

Another article on it.

http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/9338/900/

Quote:
“Mobil 1’s products are becoming increasingly less viscous,” adds Neale. “But they still provide a very good oil film. The NewTechnology formulation now means more of the efficiency in the engine can be delivered to the rear wheels – something that really does confer tangible lap-time benefits.”

And with the pioneering work done at the racetrack invariably destined to trickle down to the consumer, it will surely only be a matter of time before the practical and economic benefits of Mobil 1’s NewTechnology lubricants are felt in both your car and your pocket.

I think they are now using 0w-20 oils in these engines.

Buster - I don't see why not. They really don't need a multi-vis oil. I can see something like a 7 or 8 cSt oil doing just fine in these super duper free revving pieces of perfect art.

LOL.

SAE 5?
crazy2.gif

Yeah aren't the racing oils pretty much single weight? Why mess with multi-weight?

Heck they use tyre warmers, it's reasonable to assume they heat the other mechanicals as well.

Also, I bet it's more something along the lines of, they were using a 5w oil and switched to a 0w oil or something along those lines.

Originally Posted By: Lumberg
Yeah aren't the racing oils pretty much single weight? Why mess with multi-weight?

Also, I bet it's more something along the lines of, they were using a 5w oil and switched to a 0w oil or something along those lines.

With the exotic base oils they are no doubt using, 5w20 or 0w20 without the use if VI improvers is entirely possible. What you've got, basically, is a straight 20 that meets the cold specs of a 5w or 0w oil because of the inherently high viscosity index of the base oils used.

Originally Posted By: Feffman
Yes, Fernando's Renault uses the Elf HTX 3818, 3821, or 3825 oil.

Source?

Alisyn Synthetic Oil is used in Mclaren-Mercedes Formula 1 race cars, multiple NASCAR teams, NHRA Pro Mod Dragsters, and more!

Does anyone know if this claim is true? To name a team that has a oil company sponsorship and not just say F1 takes guts (or lack of brains) if you can't prove it.

No I don't think it's true at all. Not in Mclaren. If you go to Mclaren's website they specifically say Mobil 1 is used throughout the car including gear oils.

Originally Posted By: buster
No I don't think it's true at all. Not in Mclaren. If you go to Mclaren's website they specifically say Mobil 1 is used throughout the car including gear oils.

What, no Valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back