2001 Ford Windstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners manual says 5.75 qts. for oil change, the Ford Service Manual says 5qts. Both figures include the filter. Anyone who owns one of these know which one is correct? All Ford Windstars that year have the 3.8 liter engine.

This vehicle is new to me, so I would like to know correct amount before I change oil.

FWIW, Amsoil says 5
21.gif

IIRC, 5qts got my 2001 just above the add line and I would add ~5.5qts to push it to the top line on the stick.

Joel

5.5 quarts puts mine to the top of the stick as well. I am guessing by your ID you will be using Motorcraft 5-20. I have mostly used 5-30 because it cranks and runs quieter with the 5-30.

Originally Posted By: sweezy722
5.5 quarts puts mine to the top of the stick as well. I am guessing by your ID you will be using Motorcraft 5-20. I have mostly used 5-30 because it cranks and runs quieter with the 5-30.

I just bought the van last week. Its got 132,000 miles, I have 10-30 chevron supreme in stash, so this is what I will run. The previous owner always took it to a jiffy lube type place so I would bet in its early years it never saw 5w20. If UOA confirms 10w30 is a good fit then this is what I will run.

That 3.8L will like what ever you decide to put in it. Just be sure to pay close attention to the ATF 'cleanliness' in that AX4N trans and power steering system. The isolator bolts and O-rings are common leakers on the plastic upper intake manifold as well. You'll get fuel trim codes when that happens from sucking in extra air. I really liked our 2001 Winny. We owned it from 34Kmi - 100K.

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back