Old Brit Sport Car, oil weight, ZDDP questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently got a 71 Triumph TR6 with 76K for a weekend "beater", planning to use it once or twice a week 9 months a year, maybe 3K annually in Southeast Pennsylvania. TR has a straight 6, not a high compression or high rpm engine redline at 5500, more typically run between 3500 and 4000 rpm

Moss Motors advertises (at almost 6 bucks qt. in case lot)
that "Collector's Choice engine oil is a must for your classic engine. Contains 'pre-ban' ZDDP levels . . . ."

The FAQ for "Collector's Choice" states that diesel oils are not good substitutes for ZDDP car oil because their high detergent levels maintain more contaminents in suspension and have a lower surface tension, with accompanying shear reduction, all of which increase wear compared to ZDDP car oils.

On this site, I've seen the posts suggesting both 15W-40 diesel oil and 20W-50 oils for similar high milage old cars. And I read through the article on molybednum added oils as superior to ones with zinc.
So I have a couple questions:

1) is there any information about the "Collector's Choice", a 20W-50 manufactured by Hicks Oil?

2) Is the diesel detergent level analysis valid or relevant?

3) should I stop fretting about ZDDP and just find a good moly added oil instead, and if so, which are available?

4) Is it true, as I heard, that, besides the milage reduction it causes, the strain a 20W-50's greater viscosity puts on the oil pump offsets the value afforded by the greater protection which is lost anyway as the multi weight degrades?

thanks for any guidance!

Hi,
to answer your questions;
1 - I hve no information
2 - 15W-40 HDEOs will work well in this engine (depending on the ambient range)
3 - Yes - but use a non GF-4 rated lubricant
4 - No. These engines have been fed a typical diet of 15W-50 and 20W-50 lubricants from new. Castrol here in OZ recommends a 15W-50 or a 15W-50 lubricant for these engines

You do not need a synthetic lubricant - I would use a 15W-40 HDEO such as Delvac 1300

I only owned one TR in the parade of British sports cars I owned back when (Yeah, I was a glutton for punishment) but I spent half of my 20 year wrenching career working on them back in "the Day." I concur with Doug and Johnny: A 15W40 HDEO is a perfect choice. Back when, Castrol 20W50 was commonly used in those cars but today, I think an HDEO would be a better choice due to the higher ZDDP content and robust formulation. The old legend was that TR engines were just one step past tractor engines anyway :) < ), so why not use a tractor oi1?

Jim, we were not gluttons for punishment, we were getting an education. Just think about all the things we learned keeping those fine old cars on the road. Back in the day, two of my favorite cars were my TR3 and TR4. I wish I had both of them parked in my garage now. Especially the TR4, as it had roll up windows.

Last edited:
I paid my dues as well with MGA,MGB,MG Midget, TR4, and TR6. A 15w40 HDEO is ideal for this use. BTW, I really miss that TR4.

"Lucas Electrics- Home before dark"!

Well, I was MGA('59 & 61), MGB('65 & '70), MGC ('68) , Midget ('63), Spriget (indeterminate year, built from parts), TR4A (can't recall), plus a host of Land Rovers and, briefly, a Singer Gazelle (again, can't recall). I got the bug from my uncle who raced an MGA, a TR-2 and some TR-3s, as well as a Lotus 11.

You're right, Johnny. If you could keep one going, you had to be a half-decent wrench. On the '61 MGA, I learned that you can't get them started with SAE 50 racing oil in them during the winter. On that first cold winter morning, I used a hibachi under the oil pan to warm it up enough to start.

Lucas: The Prince of Darkness!

Why did Mr.Lucas die? He used a Lucas pacemaker!

Last edited:
thanks for your thoughts and expertise, Doug.
I take from your recommendation that the detergent level issue is a red herring. And pleased to know that putting the 15W-40 diesel in last week did me no harm.

Hi,
reed - Welcome to BITOG. Many lubricant myths exist. In a petrol engine only HDEOs that are "mixed fleet" rated should be used and the viscosity must suit the operation

In "A" and "B" series BMC engines the heavy viscosity lubricants could cause problems due to the type of oil pumps used. They performed well on 20W-20, 20W-30 and later variants of these viscosities - up to a 15W-40. As well some of these engines had non thermostat controlled oil coolers fitted (MGBs for example)- this caused the lubricant to run much too cool in many circumstances. Early Minis needed a 20W-50 lubricant due to the lubrication systems expectations and the high oil temperatures often encountered

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The old legend was that TR engines were just one step past tractor engines anyway :) < ), so why not use a tractor oi1?

The 4 cyl TR's used the old Fergy engine,the TR6 used the 6 cyl engine,a couple of extra cylinders slapped on the Herald engine.They were used in the TR6,but countless more were used in the Triumph 2000 and 2500.They ran forever on whatever was on tap - 10/30,15/40 or 20/50 were commonly used.They used to wear out in time,but not from the oil used.

Fond memories of 64 Midget and 66 MGB. Specially the non-rollup windows on the Midget! Fitted a fiberglass hardtop and found out when the plastic windows froze how difficult it was to open the door, eventually tied a leather shoestring to the inside release and made sure it hung out the bottom of the door in the winter. I seem to recall using straight 40 weight in summer, 20 in winter? I do not recall using multi-weights then. When did multi-weight oils become common? Everyone hated Lucas, and SU carbs! Someone once stole my plastic windows too! What a blast to drive in autocrosses, though we called them gymkannas then.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back