Noisey Valve train at startup with a V6 Magnum 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I have posted a similar question under gas engine oil section..

My 06 Dodge Dakota seems to have alot of valve train noise during the first minute or two of start-up.

It seems like the temp outside, the weight of oil used, or the type of oil filter used has no effect.

Sometimes the noise occurs, which sounds like tapping and clattering, and sometimes it wont. It could sit over night, not happen one day, then sit overnight, and happen the next day. Doesnt matter if its really cold or really hot. It happens, say, every other time i start the truck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Its a 3.7L V6 in an 06 dodge dakota, 33k miles, had Mobil 1 EP 10w-30 since first oil change at 3,000 miles.

A have gotten mixed details about this. One, that it is normal and the hydrolic valves need a minute to adjust to proper clearance. Others say that it may need a valve adjustment. Others claim it could be the timing chain, etc.

The thing is...

I do an oil change once a year, every october. And it seems to quiet down towards the end of the oil change interval, which is about 12k miles. Once I put fresh oil in, the clatter seems to be as loud as ever again, until I get towards the end of the year again, when the oil gets old.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants more specifics, just ask.

I'd hate to bring this thing to a shop, waste time (I am on a very busy schedule) just for it to be determined as normal.

Your engine has a Chain driven cam train, SOHC, hydraulic end-pivot roller rockers . So first you probably have a chain tension er that needs oil pressure, then you have Hydraulic adjusting roller rockers on an overhead cam. It takes a little time for that oil to get there and fill those rockers up having to be pumped all the way from the pan to the top of the engine.

The best thing you can do is use an oil filter that has a good oil filter with a silicon ADBV to decrease the time it takes to prime your valve train from a cold start.

Last edited:
Hey Bryan thanks for the quick reply.

Ok sound like you know about this specific engine. Great! Thanks for the advice.

Currently, I am using a Purolator, (regular white housing one) as my oil filter, stock size and part #.

I know of the quality issues with frams, and have never used one.

I usually use a purolator/mobil 1 filter, depending on if I want to spend $2 on a filter or $10 at the time I get my oil, lol.

First is to try a factory oil filter.
But you may have developed a leaking lifter - the clearances are a bit much, and it 'leaks down' when parked. Then it has to refill. The tiny passages take a while to refill properly.
But really, try what Dodge had on there originally.

Try a Wix, or pure one filter(or a Amsoil or mobil 1). What you are looking for is an orange silicon ADBV and not a black nitrile one. This may not fix your startup noise but then again it may help.

AS for explaining why this noise is more evident on fresh oil? My wild WAG is It probably has to do with an increase of low temp viscosity as the oil ages allowing more oil to remain in the valvetrain after shutdown than when the oil is fresh. (often in UOA's we get a high temp viscosity but rarely do we get a low temp one to see the effects of age on this. Your oil change timing before winter then is the perfect time to put fresh oil in.

Startup noise that lasts that long is not normal.

Mine lasts about 2 seconds.

Did you have the noise before and after your first oil change?

I THINK Ive had it since day one. Yeah its not a 2 second thing, even if I drive it for a minute, sometimes it continues. It seems that after 2min or so, its gone.

I didn't realize the 3.7 was SOHC. I had a 1993 Dakota 3.9L pushrod Magnum, 5spd, shorty 2wd. My first brand-new vehicle. Man did that thing have some scoots to it! IIRC, she was a pretty tapity-tapity at idle too.

Joel

Could it be a piston noise? Two minutes is a lot of time for an oil pressure issue, but thats about the time it takes for a piston to heat up.

My mom's 05 Jeep GC 3.7 does this for 10-20 seconds after startup. I use Napa premium filters and Quaker State Torque Power (Synthetic) in 5w20. It always did this with M1 5w30, PZ Platinum 5w30, and an Q-torque 5w30.

The manufacturer states to use 5w30 in the engine at all temperatures, and the 07 and 08 models take 5w20. I'd recommend a 5w30 oil, or possibly a 0w30 oil

Perhaps Shear is causing the oil to be thinner , leading to a quieter engine.

I tried using a long screw driver to pin point the location, and cant really home in on it. I am starting to lean towards this being the timing chain for the first minute or so.

Its an inconsistent chatter really..

This engine has a chain tensioner right? It needs to build oil pressure? Sounds almost like the timing chain.

33k miles and no issue from it, its about the same as its always been.

Thanks for all the input though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back