Oil for a 1973 XKE Jag V12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like some input from the board on 5W-50 Castrol Syn. for my XKE V12.

I now use Rotella Syn. 5W-40 in the Jag. But Rotella Syn. keeps moving up in price. $22/gal. and it takes 3gals per oil change.
This car is only driven about 1,000 miles per year. A XKE V12 runs a little on the warm side so a good syn. oil is a must for my car. The car has 26,000 miles on it.

I have a chance to to buy Castrol Syn. 5W-50 for $12/gal. The owners manual from 1973 says to use 20W-50 oil in warm weather.

So what do you guys think on the Castrol?

Thanks,
40ford

I'm guessing you're going to hear that with 1k mile OCIs you could feel confident using any brand of synthetic xW-40 or xW-50 oil. I bet some are even going to say that, regardless of the heat in your V12, most conventional HDEOs will be fine too, for that OCI.

I know nothing about these engines, but I would have thought they were easy on oil, being a large, 'lazy' design....

Syntec 5W-50 is a great oil. If you can get it as cheap as you say, I'd jump on it, buy a substancial amount, and use it for a good while....

Originally Posted By: 40ford
I would like some input from the board on 5W-50 Castrol Syn. for my XKE V12.

I now use Rotella Syn. 5W-40 in the Jag. But Rotella Syn. keeps moving up in price. $22/gal. and it takes 3gals per oil change.
This car is only driven about 1,000 miles per year. A XKE V12 runs a little on the warm side so a good syn. oil is a must for my car. The car has 26,000 miles on it.

I have a chance to to buy Castrol Syn. 5W-50 for $12/gal. The owners manual from 1973 says to use 20W-50 oil in warm weather.

So what do you guys think on the Castrol?

Thanks,
40ford

All Jaguar V12's run hot. When you have a block the size of a bathtub, it will throw off some heat. Make sure your cooling system is kept in good shape.

I use Mobil One 10/30 in the six litre V12 in my 94 Xj12, and change it once a year, whether I drive the car or not.

The conventional wisdom was to run 50 weight oils in these V12 engines, so that is what I did for a number of years, then I went to 5/40, and finally to 10/30, which I think is the best choice.

Mine runs noticably cooler and has quite a bit less internal friction on the 10/30. The owners manual for my Xj12 allows 10/30 up to about 100F, and todays 10/30's are a lot better than they were a dozen years ago.

I would give a premium synthetic 10/30 a try.

I have not had an XKE yet, but one is on my buy list if I run across a good example. I can't decide between a series I or a later series III with the V12.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I know nothing about these engines, but I would have thought they were easy on oil, being a large, 'lazy' design....

Syntec 5W-50 is a great oil. If you can get it as cheap as you say, I'd jump on it, buy a substancial amount, and use it for a good while....

They are large, but not lazy. They have a very short stroke and rev freely. The 6000 rpm redline on my Xj12 is to protect the torque convertor in the GM 4L80E, not the engine.

I just checked the red-line on the XKE and it is 6,500 rpm. Seventy MPH is the most I have had it. Been working on it off and on for 2 years.

Found it about 3 miles from my house in a basement covered up. Had not been moved outside for about 10 years.

It was a nice car. Had a lot of things stuck (brakes etc.) But nothing major. Changed all the water hoses out. Twenty-one hoses just for the cooling system.

This is the second XKE V12 that I have had. They are a lot of fun but you better have a deep pocket book when you work on them.

40ford

Do you really need a synthetic oil?
Are you changing it once a year at only 1000 miles?
I would use a HD dino of a suitable grade.
Much less cost and no loss performance wise at those low miles.

Great cars. Can you post a picture of it. Not to often that you see a 73 with that low mileage.

Now to the oil: The Syntec 5W-50 is a good oil but it might consume some due to the 5W part of it. Back in 73 those were not the tightest engines on the planet. You could also use one of the major 15W-40 oils out there that would give the old Jag good protection.

I had a V10 truck, and only got 7 MPG city.

You must only drive 1000 miles a year because thats all the banks will let you finance on gas!!!!
34.gif

LOL

Hi,
40ford - I would stay with what you have - it is a robust lubricant with a good TBN

If you want a more "protective" lubricant in such a low use engine seek a Agri 15W-40 HDEO lubricant from Castrol (or perhaps others) that has a Vapour Phase Inhibitor (VPI) additive. The VPI additive will greatly help to protect the engine above the oil line from the inevitable corrosion. Such corrosion pits cams and etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back