Disapointed with Wal-Mart TCW3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I have to say that Im quite disapointed with wal-mart TCW-3 two-stroke oil. I have a regimen of fuel adds that I change from, ranging from FP60, FP3000, LUCL, Schaeffer's soy shield, redline, amsoil PI, etc. I recently ran out of my amsoil saber 100:1 TCW-3, which was clean, viscous, and odor-free.

I got a gallon of wal mart supertech TCW-3. Poured it into my 8oz saber bottle, and the stuff was far runnier than the saber. OK, maybe that's why the wal mart stuff can only go up to 50:1 when fed at 16oz/6 gal (so its not really a good deal considering the rate of addition for real 2-stroke engines)...

However the stuff stinks like a bad diesel fuel, or maybe like a burned, stinky, overused, fuel diluted motor oil. It just stinks. It is disgusting to touch and use, it passes odor through the bottle now that it is unsealed, and it passes odor from the smaller bottle that I poured it in.

If you treat a large amount of fuel, or have someplace to store something like this, then maybe its OK... but this stuff is disgusting to touch and use.

Maybe pennzoil and others are better. Ill probably try one of those but may also just stick with the amsoil 100:1 at a super low, easy to treat rate...

Buyer beware.

JMH

No comment on that one. The Walmart stuff is WAAAAYYYY cheaper than the saber. I have no idea if it performs any different though. My vehicles are on a steady diet of saber and enjoying it (except my corvette as previously stated).

Only when the ATF completely oxidized and filled with displaced friction materials...then it will possess the most fine bouquet of any used automotive fluid. One a many of my dates (back in the day) would note how interesting my hair smelt after having a bath under a full pan of well used transmission fluid! Used gear lube in all it's pungent aroma has nothing on the complex aroma of ATF.

Plus it makes an excellent hand cleaner...
grin2.gif

I have a gallon of this stuff that's been sitting in my garage for a couple of years. I have no use for it. I had originally planned to use it in my chainsaw, but my FIL purchased some synthetic 2-stroke oil (can't recall the brand) from the small engine shop, so I've been using that.

If it wasn't such a hassle to ship, I'd give it away. But, the economics of shipping a gallon of oil don't work.

I have to agree with Steve S Wayne. Use the 2 cycle up in your car at 2-3 oz/10 gallons. Heck you paid for it after all might as well displace 6 cents worth of gasoline for every 10 gallons of fill with something that could help keep your fuel pump alive at the very least. At most you could improve your mileage a bit. Unless one of my vehicles blow up I'm sticking with my dosing ritual (now placing my monk hood over my head and folding my arms in silence).

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
At least you can't beat it for the price.

I dont know... given the stink, I cant keep a closed 8oz bottle in the car. this results in an inconvenience. Additionally, given the lower viscosity, IMO, it is tougher to easily meter the lower viscosity oil from a standard 8oz saber bottle - Ill need to use an FP60 type bottle.

If the carrier solvent is stinky, it is more volatile, so it will be destroying the innards of my car (solving plastics and whatnot), absorbing odors into the carpet, and likely in time it will be flashing off (its not like I use gallons of these things per year), so the actual ratio of active additive may be changing without my knowledge, especially if kept in a hot car.

Im overthinking this, yes, but it sure stinks, so I sure am disapointed.

JMH

This is strange, you know I've never known Wal-Mart put it's name on a sub-par product. I'm shocked.
LOL.gif

On a more serious note, you could use it as fuel to start a bonfire. Let it burn off before you make s'mores though.

Most non synthetic 2 cycle oils smell the same. Most petrolium products have a distinct odor. If this is not something you can handle, you've found the wrong internet board to spend time on...

Were using it all the time, about 1/10th as concentrated as in a 2-cycle engine. Compare it to other generic "top end" lube or whatever they call it. Lucas UCL or MMO don't meet a spec TCW 3 2-cycle oil does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back