Amsoil Extended Drain Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fairly sure I could push my drain intervals to 10K Miles but the UOA suggests otherwise, at least for now. How many more miles should I run at 5K intervals before trying to extend it again? If I am going to stick with the shorter intervals, I'm thinking of switching to Chevron Delo due to the costs of an oil change with Amsoil being cost prohibitive. I travel primarily along the Gulf Coast between Texas and Mississippi. Any replys are appreciated. Thanks.

2q1ujaa.png

Last edited:
Personally, I would still run the extended drain. But if you want to run shorter ones until the UOAs get better, why dont you just use Amsoil's 7500 change oil?

Originally Posted By: pickled
What are you running for air filtration roco? I love how the folks at Blackstone call your truck by name.

I like that too. Shows a little personality on their part which is appealing IMHO.

I don't think you can make much of a decision until you have run a couple more OCI's. Maybe a couple or 3 5K DELO or other HDEO oil changes to finish with the break in metals, and THEN try an extended OCI.

I have to agree with Pablo on this...go get a few gallons of Delo 400 and run it for a few more oil changes. I like the Delo and for the price it really does a great job at controlling wear. The 400 LE isn't meant for extended drains, but if you change it within the recommended interval you'll be good to go. You might also want to buy a little extra because you might see an initial increase in consumption with the switch. IMHO you could run the 15W40 Amsoil again at some point because it is an excellent oil(I assume that you were using the heavy duty diesel and marine not the PCO blend), but you might also want to consider their 10W30 (ACD) too. From the looks of it you don't seem too concerned about the CJ-4 stuff...AME is tough as nails.

You probably could run Delo or any of the other oils for 10k miles . The Amsoil is the 15w/40 by the viscosity should do 15,000 miles + once the engine is broke in . I would always recommend a couple of quick oil changes with a new engine just for getting the breakin crud out . You probably could do the Amsoil now if that is your wish. You are seeing a nornal uoa for what you have .The New engine UOA.Most important what is the recommended oil change interval? warranty on an expensive engine.

There are no recommended drain intervals on GM products with the oil life monitor system. I still had 2% oil life remaining on this UOA according to the monitor.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You probably could run Delo or any of the other oils for 10k miles . The Amsoil is the 15w/40 by the viscosity should do 15,000 miles + once the engine is broke in . I would always recommend a couple of quick oil changes with a new engine just for getting the breakin crud out . You probably could do the Amsoil now if that is your wish. You are seeing a nornal uoa for what you have .The New engine UOA.Most important what is the recommended oil change interval? warranty on an expensive engine.

Is he using Amsoil oil filters? and air filters? he could leave the oil in and think about adding a bypass filter to catch all the break in metals and he would not have to worry about the cost anymore. the next few UOA will trend down as the oil is cleaned with bypass filtration.
this is what Amsoil means by EXTENDED DRAIN INTERVALS

Originally Posted By: roco
I was fairly sure I could push my drain intervals to 10K Miles but the UOA suggests otherwise, at least for now. How many more miles should I run at 5K intervals before trying to extend it again? If I am going to stick with the shorter intervals, I'm thinking of switching to Chevron Delo due to the costs of an oil change with Amsoil being cost prohibitive. I travel primarily along the Gulf Coast between Texas and Mississippi. Any replys are appreciated. Thanks.

2q1ujaa.png

I was just looking at this post on the same engine with 108K on it and the OP has 18K on his oil. After break-in your wear numbers should really drop.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1274561&gonew=1#UNREAD

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
I would continue to use the 10K interval. There is really nothing wrong with this report but break in metals.
Looking at the TBN the oil could go farther on the next oil change the amsoil 15w-40 is a well tested oil. I would guess in this application 15,000 miles.

I agree witht these guys about the AME 15w-40. I have been using it for 70k and have had really good results on my UOA's. See the above post or check out the recent post I made and see it in full. 15k miles is very possible. i am at 19k on my current run and should be able to go 25k unless I change due to higher silica levels. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back