Any possible negatives to using Auto-Rx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my vehicles (2002 Monte SS & 2002 Silverado)are just past the 100,000 mile mark. Both have had regular oil changes with the Silvy getting M1 synthetic. I have been reading alot about the Auto-RX stuff trying to decide if I should do the cleaning.

On a high mileage motor, are there any possible negatives to using this stuff? Such as a chuck of gunk breaking loose & plugging something up? Any problems with this stuff causing any kind of gasket or seal leaks?

The only negatives that I know of are if your engine already has a leak that you don't know about because it has been plugged with sludge. When Auto RX cleans the sludge out of the existing leak, it will start to flow again.

+1

If you spend some time searching the archives, you won't find many problems, those that you do find could well have been coincidental.

It has been reported as stopping or slowing seal leaks. Get the crud off a dynamic seal and it will work better, not poorer.

I could see it potentially opening up an old gasket leak but don't recall that happening to anyone here. Seems unlikely.

I find ARX to be more likely to fix a seal leak caused by contamiant build up in and around rotational shaft seals. If your journal ends are being sealed by sludge deposits they will likely fail shortly anyways.

Regarding the breaking loose of large deposit chunks, it is highly unlikely that could occur with ARX. ARX slowly works on hardened deposits. The likelihood of chunking off large deposits is normally associated with quick acting traditional solvents.

At 100K on the clock, I see this a time where the likelyhood of dramatic performance gains can be realized, especially in cleaning up ring packs. Even running synthetics the possibility of carboned up rings exist, especially if the Silvy has seen some work with respect to towing or hauling big loads.

I agree with Rick20 but if it cleans a false seal, it will leak no matter what product is used. I have used kero, diesel, Amsoil engine flush etc for engine flushes and they did NOT break lose and cause more issues. They DO work though. Does ARX work slowly; that I would have to guess on their deal since how is “slow” defined?

I like ARX and it worked on some cars I personally own. Now 75% were over 100K miles and no, again, NO I did not gain performance gains etc. No, mpg gains, no nothing but I feel it works better in trannys though. Were the ring packs dirty? No idea since I have yet to see before and after pixs etc. Plus I have used Amsoil since day 0.

I have torn down some quarry equipment that I own and yet to see what is defined at clean/dirty ring packs.

f you used ARX it might work and might not. No to confuse the issue, it works and so do other products. Then again, I am an old man and set in my ways.

The truck has seen it's fair share of towing! I tow my bass boat every weekend to different lakes around here as well as a couple of road trips with it every year.

I have decided I will give this stuff a shot. I do not expect any miracle power gains, mph etc. Just looking to extend the life of the motor for a few more years!

Originally Posted By: bassadict69
Thanks guys!

bassaddict, you buy any yet? I drive past Haughton everyday and have a bottle on my front seat right now.
grin2.gif

Yep, you guys should just LOVE me. I have a bottle I brought to work to put in my govt. truck. Trying to save all you taxpayers money.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: dargo
I agree with Rick20 but if it cleans a false seal, it will leak no matter what product is used. I have used kero, diesel, Amsoil engine flush etc for engine flushes and they did NOT break lose and cause more issues. They DO work though. Does ARX work slowly; that I would have to guess on their deal since how is “slow” defined?

I like ARX and it worked on some cars I personally own. Now 75% were over 100K miles and no, again, NO I did not gain performance gains etc. No, mpg gains, no nothing but I feel it works better in trannys though. Were the ring packs dirty? No idea since I have yet to see before and after pixs etc. Plus I have used Amsoil since day 0.

I have torn down some quarry equipment that I own and yet to see what is defined at clean/dirty ring packs.

f you used ARX it might work and might not. No to confuse the issue, it works and so do other products. Then again, I am an old man and set in my ways.

If you do a before and after compression test with Auto-Rx and the after is better you can assume the ring packs were dirty and Auto-Rx cleaned them. No need to tear down the engine to verify.

Carefully follow the Auto-Rx instructions. It's normal to experience leaks during the cleaning phase that will re-seal themselves during the rinsing phase. Auto-Rx is not a magic product. If a seal is damaged beyond repair, it can't fix it. That would require an engine rebuild, which is unlikely if you've changed your oil at reasonable intervals.

The biggest negative is it requires patience for vehicles over 100,000 miles, since you must perform two applications (clean/rinse and clean/rinse).

The biggest positive is it's the safest and most thorough cleaner on the market. It doesn't break off big chunks that can clog oil passages and filters. It does clean very, very well. I researched it heavily before I used it, and I trust it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back