Amsoil ACD30 20,500km Nissan Navara

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Nissan Navara ute,engine TD 27.
Total kms 160,850
Time on oil 11 months
Fitted with a Motorgard bypass filter and Amsoil SDF 096 full flow.
TP changed every 3,300kms hence need for 5 litres top up oil.
Lab Goughs Caterpillar.

Cu- 5
Fe-14
Cr- 2
Pb- 3
Al- 2
Si- 2
Na- 2
Sn- 0
Mo- 0
Ni- 0
Mg-10
Zn-1193
Ca-3424
P -1019
B - 4
Ba- 0
Cd- 0
Mn- 0
Ag- 1
Ti- 0
V - 0
K - 0
W -18.8
NIT- 9
GLY- 3
F -0.00
ST-29
SUL-40
OXI-43
V40-87.8
PQ- 7

Comments;Please clarify kms are correct.High oil consumption will minimize wear level test results.All wear levels appear normal.Sample at further 5,000 kms.

I rang the lab to ask why no TBN.They do not normally test for TBN and suggested ST,SUL and OXI give a better idea of the oils useful life.Also asked why no Viscosity at 100c.Caterpillar prefer 40c because accuracy is better,ie one cst at 100c makes a big diff and easy to miscalculate.

I have changed the oil and filters and will run for another 20,000kms.The recommended change interval is every 5,000km,oil only and 10,000km for a filter change.This is a pre combustion chamber diesel so I presume it contaminates the oil far quicker than a direct injection motor hence the need for such regular changes.I think I can safely say the Bypass filter has allowed me to extend the oil change interval by 4x.A lot of my trips are short,the temp just gets to the run zone.

What do you think?

.You are spending big bucks on the oil with the T.P filter .I would recommend the Amsoil bypass filter I would pay for it self quickly or run a dino oil if you keep the T.P. filter .You added a qt of oil more of less at each T.P filter change so you may be diluting the wear numbers is what the oil analysis guys are referring to.

Yeah too messy and time consuming with TP. That's like every 2000 miles. Crazy. ACD is lower cost than the other oils, though. The oil looks pretty good, but hard to tell.....

Si is nice and low, but opening up the filter canister so frequently seems like it increases the risk of contamination.

Interesting comments.
The total oil capacity of the engine is 8 litres and 7 litres for the oil only change.By my reckoning I am saving 17 litres every 20,000 kms by using the TP bypass.In future I will only change the TP every 5,000 kms saving a further 2 litres per 20 ,0000.
The Amsoil ACD30 is not that expensive,I bought a 205 litre drum realy cheaply,it is an older brew rated CF2/CF and SJ/SH.

How do you tell how often the TP should be changed?There doesnt seem to be any set routine.Do the UOA results give any clues?I think the oil was very clean in this sample.When I change the TP the sheets are very hard to rip,if anything they are stronger when covered in oil.

Not sure I understand, its a 20,000 km OCI or 12,500 miles ? But you add 5 lt of oil, and 5 TP filters in that 12500 miles. If it has a 5 lt sump then you used 10 lt of oil in 12500 miles. Is this correct, if it is, then the cost per mile is seems high. What is the normal OCI for this engine if you use no by-pass system. I plan on a min of 30,000 miles from 1 Amsoil BP90 filter. I would have to change the TP filter 15 times. Seems like allot of pollution, allot of work, and allot of oil.

You are correct,20,000km on the oil.A complete fill with the bypass fitted is 8 liters.I used 5 liters of oil in 20,000kms.In future I will change the TP every 5,000 which will reduce the usage to 3 liters.The recommended change interval is 5,000 kms for the oil only and 10,000 kms for the full flow.In NZ the listed price of an EaBP-90 is NZ$110.00.

You are correct,20,000km on the oil.A complete fill with the bypass fitted is 8 liters.I used 5 liters of oil in 20,000kms.In future I will change the TP every 5,000 which will reduce the usage to 3 liters.The recommended change interval is 5,000 kms for the oil only and 10,000 kms for the full flow.In NZ the listed price of an EaBP-90 is NZ$110.00.
I have now clocked 3,000 km on the new oil and it is still transparent but with a slight black tint.I have never seen a Diesel oil that doesnt change to jet black immediately after being changed.
I agree the Amsoil bypass is good but very expensive in this country, the toilet paper rolls are not hard to change so I dont mind the extra work,kind of fun really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back