Best stop leak for transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

My 1998 Infiniti I30 automatic is leaking sporadically, one out of maybe every 10 times i park, i'll find a large puddle of trans fluid under the car. The dealer says its a seal thats very tough to get to, might as well replace trans. I'd rather try to buy some time with a stop leak.

What do you guys suggest?

i'd try a bottle of auto-rx. but it also depends on the size of the leak and whether the seal is actually damaged.

i put some in my manual tranny that has a leak from the drivers axle seal and it has slowed considerably. it used to leave small spots on the ground but now thats gone. the leak hasn't completely stopped because i can still see it on the case, but it is a lot better.

edit- this is 500mi in.

Last edited:
Trans-X they sell 2 size bottles you want the smaller one for fwd. I have been selling it for 10 years and used it myself several times with success! all of your parts houses will have it.

My experience is that like most stop leaks,if they work (rarely) they are only a temp fix.

Also, get a second opinion from an independent reputable tranny place on the fixing of the leak

Originally Posted By: kcryan
Hey,

My 1998 Infiniti I30 automatic is leaking sporadically, one out of maybe every 10 times i park, i'll find a large puddle of trans fluid under the car. The dealer says its a seal thats very tough to get to, might as well replace trans. I'd rather try to buy some time with a stop leak.

What do you guys suggest?

Bars stop leak for least $$$ upfront.

I would try ARX first.If its just dirt or a stiff seal causing the leak ARX will clean it without blowing the seal up like an elephants trunk.If its ripped nothing short of replacing it will fix it anyway.ARX is harmless to the internals,well worth the money.Give it time to work.

There are several products that work.

I cannot say the best or I like for reasons outside this post.

ARX. and Transmission Cleaning.
The application for an automatic transmission of a passenger car or light truck, is to run the 6 fluid ounces for 1000 miles before purging the old fluid out with new fluid. This will guarantee that all deposits are suspended in the old fluid before purging. It is not advisable to add the 6 fluid ounces and run for 30,000 miles in a transmission that may be dirty. Filtration is somewhat non existent in many automatic transmissions, other than a small magnet. It is not advised to circulate dirty fluid much longer than the recommended 1000 miles.
During a normal application while ARX dissolves the oxidized fluid deposits, some gear filings or overdrive clutch wear deposits may be attached to the oil deposits, which will become liberated, as the oil phase is dissolved.
If the transmission is spotless clean I would have no problem running ARX in the transmission for much longer than the 1000 miles. But the only way to verify a spotless tranny is to tear down. So in reality I advise that the stock instructions is the way to go.
Rich

Our experience is a clean transmission is not going to have leaks unless a seal is ripped or torn. Since we don,t swell seals odds are we can make them work properly.

Originally Posted By: buickmaster
just to add. 1000mi now done and axle seal leak is gone. thanks auto-rx. will changing the fluid this weekend.

Wow, that is amazing. Auto-RX is the BEST product in the whole wide world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back