Tire Rotation with TPMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Acura RDX has AWD and Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I was wondering if TPMS calls for any special procedure when rotating the tires?

No, the car doesn't care as long as it receives the info.

If you have to change the wheels and/or use another set of TPMS, you will have the car to be reprogrammed with the new TPMS numbers (only the dealer can do that). Otherwise, you will have the light on.

Originally Posted By: XS650
I wish GM had been smart enough to figure out how to do that on Corvettes.

On all their cars actually. You have to do take it to the dealer or do this stupid little relearning procedure where you release air quickly from each tire in a set pattern.

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
I replaced my wheels and tires already,I prefer the light to stay lit.
TPMS-The dumbest feature since self tightening seat belts.

I dunno about that. It's already saved my mom once from heading out with a flat. But they for sure are no substitute for using a good tire guage. The TPMS on my mom's Impala is off by at least 1 or 2 psi to the low side depending on which tire.

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
I replaced my wheels and tires already,I prefer the light to stay lit.
TPMS-The dumbest feature since automatic seat belts.

x2 on that.

At least, they could have kept some program space to allow 8 TPMS to be listed and check that at least 4 are good.

Because of that, you have to pay to make them reprogram each time you change to winter tires or drive with the light on and the service off... when it is the most useful, in winter.

IMO, Just bad engineering to fulfill a new regulation (isn't that mandatory on new cars now?).

The reason I asked the original question was that I noticed that Walmart's Tire & Lube charges $1.50/tire to rotate tires if no TPMS and $6.50/tire for cars with TPMS!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I wish GM had been smart enough to figure out how to do that on Corvettes.

On all their cars actually. You have to do take it to the dealer or do this stupid little relearning procedure where you release air quickly from each tire in a set pattern.

On C6 Corvettes you need the magic box, the relearning procedure doesn't work.
shocked2.gif

TPMS makes sense on a car with run flat tires. You might not even notice a flat of very low pressure cruising around town, but crank into a hard corner and you will be very aware of it...too late.

There are two things they need to do.

Make the batteries replaceable so you don't need to buy sensors every 5 to 10 years at $50 a sensor.

Make the system smart enough to automatically figure our how to handle a new sensor or moved wheel.

Originally Posted By: RDXman
The reason I asked the original question was that I noticed that Walmart's Tire & Lube charges $1.50/tire to rotate tires if no TPMS and $6.50/tire for cars with TPMS!

Maybe I don't understand the principle of rotating the tires but is it not take the front wheels and put them at the rear and vice versa?

A tire with TPMS and a tire without TPMS are the same: Just a tire on a rim.

What do they do in extra to charge you more (you should ask them and see how they react)?

For me, it is a steal.

Originally Posted By: Pesca

Maybe I don't understand the principle of rotating the tires but is it not take the front wheels and put them at the rear and vice versa?

A tire with TPMS and a tire without TPMS are the same: Just a tire on a rim.

What do they do in extra to charge you more (you should ask them and see how they react)?

For me, it is a steal.

Yes, the physical act of rotating the tires is the same but the extra fee is to cover the relearn proceedure so the TPMS/DIC accurately displays the tire pressure for the correct wheel. When you change the location of the tire on the car the DIC needs to know where it was moved to. Otherwise the right front display will actually be the left rear or where ever based on the rotation pattern used.

That is a more sophisticated system than on my car: I just have one light for the 4 tires.

When it is lit, I have to find the fault one, that is all.

Don't need to be so complicated, IMO.

The best system I have seen was on my 2004 RAV4: The sensors were on the suspension, no TPMS, and when you put winter tires on, you just have to drive a bit and push the reset button to recalibrate the system.

I don't know how it worked precisely, but it was easy to use and works all year round.

It compares wheel rotation speeds and if they change relative to each other over some period of time, it assumes a tire is low.

shocked2.gif

I wonder how much that tool for the C6 costs? For the C5 Corvette all you need is a strong magnet (like from a speaker) and you can recalibrate the tire pressure sensors.

ford includes a little tool on the vehicles that have different pressures front and rear. we noticed at work that it worked on all the sensors, and the tool is under $20, so now all our techs have the little tool.

Originally Posted By: Patman

shocked2.gif

I wonder how much that tool for the C6 costs? For the C5 Corvette all you need is a strong magnet (like from a speaker) and you can recalibrate the tire pressure sensors.

Lowest price I've heard is a bit over $100 for an aftermarket one. Usually more like $200.

While I'm no huge fan of the system (3 sensors have gone bad on me already) tire rotations are pretty easy with my 2006 Monte Carlo. It's a simple matter of triggering the reprogram function in the trip computer, and then walking around to each corner and letting a few PSI out until it notices the difference. It even lights up the turn signal for the corner you're supposed to let the air out of, and then honks the horn when it's figured it out. I think it's actually a pretty clever way to do it.

I don't get that. I just paid $15 at Wally World for a 4-wheel balance and rotation on my 3 that has TPMS. Nothing had to be relearned AFAIK.

I don't get it either. I've rotated the TPMS tires on my Sienna 4 times now and have yet to experience any problem with the system or dash light. Must vary by manufacturer?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back