99 F250 7.3L PSD Shaeffers 9000 5W40 - High Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little alarmed with this analysis. Just the lead though.
Everything else looks well within limits based on my previous samples. (Last lead content was 5)

ALUMINUM - 1
CHROMIUM - 0
IRON - 10
COPPER - 4
LEAD - 20
TIN - 1
MOLYBDENUM - 273
NICKEL - 0
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM - 0
POTASSIUM - 7
BORON - 12
SILICON - 6
SODIUM - 3
CALCIUM - 1499
MAGNESIUM - 898
PHOSPHORUS - 1168
ZINC - 1345
BARIUM - 0
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C - 74.4
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F - 14.10
Flashpoint in °F - 430
Fuel % - Antifreeze % - 0
Water % - 0
Insolubles % - 0.3
TBN - 4.5

I have done a few things when I changed to Shaeffers from Delo 5W40. Time on oil 4771 km

1 - Oilguard Bypass
2 - New injectors
3 - 4 position chip
4 - Towed 10k for 1500km through the mountains (never towed this heavy before)
5 - Changed to Standyne additive from a brand I can't remember

Any ideas or do I drop the oil and change back to Delo for a OCI?

Sorry about the horrible format for the post...overseas right now and can't link my report.

Thanks
Chris

The numbers are not that out of line.
WAAAAY too many variables above and beyond a switch to jump ship on one analysis. Need a trend.
A change in oil alone may cause a jump in numbers.
I'd increase the oci by 2-3k and see what the next one says.

I am going to drop this oil when I get home and refill with the same 9000 5W40. All of the other wear metals are very close to the results I saw with the Delo 5W40 so it may very well be just the change in oils. I want to keep using the Shaeffers as I get great service from my rep here in Canada.

thumbsup2.gif

After changing brands, you'll need a few dump/fill cycles to re-establish a trend and normalize. I wouldn't let the wear metals concern you greatly for this report.

However, one thing seems odd; TBN of 4.5 after only 4.7kkm? Isn't that like 3,000 miles or so? Zowie, either the report is flawed, or that stuff dropped quickly. Don't recall where it starts at, but regardless, that's a fairly heady drop for such a short mileage, especially with a bypass system installed to help with the contaminants! Typically, Schaeffers products can stay in service a very long time, but if the TBN is correct, you're not going to get much life out of this load at all. Something seems amiss.

Yeah 4700km is 2900 miles. THe CJ-4 version of the 9000 that I am running starts at 10. I am going to dump it and try again...and hope for better results next time.

The 4 postion chip, the new injectors, and towing 10k through the mountain have a lot to do with the low TBN number. I'll bet that chris1978 can create a cloud of black smoke on demand with his right foot.

So, if TBN were to continue downward at it's current rate, you'd get around 5k miles (8kkm?) out of the oil? That's some pretty expensive oil to be dumping so soon.

If you're going to run the chip that high, and dump all that fuel and soot into the engine often, you might just consider reverting back to a conventional HDEO with a hight TBN like a CI-4+ Delo, Delvac or Rotella. I suspect that they would "protect" as well, and since you'd be dumping it often, you'd save a bit of money.

I typically don't encourage hopping from brand to brand when doing UOAs, but I just have to wonder if there isn't some cheaper alternative for what might become relatively short OCIs.

I think it would be fine for you to stick with the Schaeffers; it's typically a great product with a long life cycle. And with your bypass, that should help even more. But for some reason, you're killing your TBN, and you're going to have to keep an eye on it.

When you add performance mods, you're into somewhat unknown territory. Normal assumptions don't always apply. I strongly encourage you to UOA regularly, regardless of oil choice.

Tbn retention is one of the 9000's strong suits. It will hold its tbn or stay level versus a mathematical drop.

Last edited:
Yeah, salesrep, but it wasn't a strong suit here and it did NOT hold its TBN #'s....sooooooo, what is the point of your post? Just wondering.......We all know that Schaeffer's is a good oil. There is no need to prove that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may have dropped quicker than one may think it should, but if it holds where it is at or very gradually decreases, than it is holding its tbn and doing its job.

I would run that oil a little longer....like DNewton mentioned, dropping that oil after only 5k is a big loss. Possibly a 1000 or two and take another oil sample, with a different lab...just to be sure. You never know, maybe an error occurred. It does happen. With your bypass, and even with the mods, 5000 is definitely too early for that oil. Me, if that was all I could get out of the oil, I would be switching back to dino, as stated above. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and dump it, but it's always good to use UOA to your best advantage.

Well I have an update. After dropping this oil I put the same Shaeffers back in for 1700km. Lead was at 7 already. Ran Delo 15W40 for a 1000km lead dropped to 3. Dropped that and went back to the Delo 5W40 CI-4 Synthetic. After 7674km of towing my 10k # fifth wheel through the Rockies I took a sample with the following results.

Aluminum - 2
Chromium - 0
Iron - 14
Copper - 5
Lead - 6
Tin - 0
Moly - 22
Nickel - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 9
Boron - 54
Silicon - 6
Sodium - 2
Calcium - 3523
Magnesium - 76
Phosphorus - 1215
Zinc - 1461
Barium - 0

Vis @ 210 - 66.1
Vis @ 100 - 11.92
Flashpoint - 405
Antifreeze - 0
Fuel - 0.5
Water - 0
Insolubles - 0.2
TBN - 8.6

Overall I am good with the results. I think some of the shearing is I changed to a high performance high pressure oil pump. Going to run this for the rest of the summer and sample again around 15000km.

Looks good...I'm interested to see how the Delo 400 LE 5W40 fares out.
I had good results with the 5W40 CI4+ myself...

That's a lot of brand/grade hopping in super short OCIs.

If you're happy with the current load (which I can't argue on the face of the data), then just stick with it, and follow a UOA routine.

Your engine will thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back