Motorcraft 5w20 -vs- Chevron/Havoline 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would you guys shoot for? I've seen great UOA's out of both... and I like the fact that Chevron/Havoline use Moly & Boron whereas Motorcraft doesn't... but does that translate into better oil performance?

I'll let you all tell me.

Personally I would go with the Chevron of the two, but both seem to be excellent oils and good values.

Motorcraft makes much of the synthetic blend bit while Chevron crows about using II+ base stocks.

Who knows which is "better", a Group I/III blend or a Group II+ base ????

Personally I like the II+ base with more visibile additives in the VOA ... but I am really just guessing
smile.gif
. I like Chocolate ice cream much more than Vanilla ... but so what .

John

I've used both in my Mazda and my Toyota. Both give good results.

I've just completed a run using Havoline 5w-30 and my gut, pending and analysis, tells me it is better yet.

At least my MPG went up about 1.5 - 2 mpg. And both cars seem quieter.

Time and mileage will tell.

In all honesty, between these three oils you're just splitting hairs. I would simply buy whichever one was cheaper and more readily available and then stick with it.

jthoner wrote
quote:

Motorcraft makes much of the synthetic blend bit while Chevron crows about using II+ base stocks.

Who knows which is "better", a Group I/III blend or a Group II+ base ????

I believe MC is GII & III blend. The back of a bottle reads "Formulated with synthetic/hydro-processed base oils.....". I went with the MC because I bought it cheap, althou I would have no heasitation about using Chevron CS.

bgin

My feelings: It depends on where you live and what season of the year it is. The Motorcraft has the superior cold weather performance due to the % of synthetic blending along with some sophisticated amine ingredients which don't show up in the VOA's. On the other hand, the Chevon / Havoline is the superior summer performer - the high flash point is evidence of that.

I would run one in summer and the other in winter and keep the change over buying a full synthetic. Case closed!

I tried Chevron Supreme 5w-20 because it was on sale for $1.19/qt. I was extremely pleased with the UOA results, even compared with M1 0w-20. I may stick with this oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back