using 10w30 in a car made for 0w20 or 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a 2007 camry. It has a 2.4lt inline 4. The cap says 0w20 or 5w20. Would using Royal Purple 10w30 be a issue???

Thanks

nah..I've done it in the Honda 2.4. If you look around the world, that same engine is probably using a 40 grade somewhere...although maybe the world has caught up by now.

Being you are in FL, it shouldn't be an issue year round. Up here, I use only 0w grade oils to reduce start up wear.

Plenty of people have been taking 5w20 engines to speedy lubes that only have 10w30, and those engines are still going strong after many miles.

Fuel efficiency might go down, however...

After using the Amsoil ACD 30wt, the only difference I felt was (and to my surprise) the car felt stronger when hitting vtec. That was the opposite of what I was expecting. Just a very slight extra vibration on the coldest winter mornings as if the throttle is cracked open just a little more to maintain idle.

The question is why expensive 10W30 oil in placed of an expensive 5W20 oils such as PP ? Specially for warranty coverage, Toyota may decline warranty on the engine parts if they find out that 10W30 were used.

no issues except the car performing at its potential and peak performance
smirk2.gif

use it with no worries

Originally Posted By: bigbull2984
My friend has a 2007 camry. It has a 2.4lt inline 4. The cap says 0w20 or 5w20. Would using Royal Purple 10w30 be a issue???

Thanks
I like your thinking. 10w30 is my favorite weight. I am not fond of RP, think Amsoil PAO is better, but would be inclined to try Redline in your car. With Redline 5w20 you will get the HTHS of a 30 weight--best of both worlds. And you can run the weee out of it with no worry.

FWIW, and I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, I have the opportunity to regularly ask questions of a number of oil company engineers. I had been driving a car which specified 5W-40 oil. I recently bought a car which specifies 5W-30 oil. I live in Phoenix, AZ and wondered whether the 30 would protect as well as the 40 in the Phoenix summers. I asked if I could continue to use the 5W-40 I had been using with my old car. The universal answer was "no". The oil company engineers all told me that if the internals were sized to accomodate a 5W-40, the manufacturer would have specified a 5W-40 and not a 4W-30. They all said it is okay to go to a lower number, but never a higher number.

I don't know if this is true or not, and I know a number of regulars will disagree with this. It may be "standard party line" advice. But, I do get the same advice from the engineers, no matter which company they work for. Again, fwiw.

Yes you can use it. Yes it is inferior in every way to the 0w-20 and 5w-20 in that motor. I doubt it will cause a problem but the thinner oil are better.

Thanks

The big question is WHY?
02.gif

Not going to gain ANYTHING.

That would be one of the last things I would do.

Toyota gives you a 5 YEAR 60,000 mile engine warranty. Why screw with Toyota and your engine?

Interesting how people want to spend more $$ and not gain a *single* thing...
21.gif

Quote:
I live in Phoenix, AZ and wondered whether the 30 would protect as well as the 40 in the Phoenix summers. I asked if I could continue to use the 5W-40 I had been using with my old car. The universal answer was "no". The oil company engineers all told me that if the internals were sized to accomodate a 5W-40, the manufacturer would have specified a 5W-40 and not a 4W-30. They all said it is okay to go to a lower number, but never a higher number.
PLEASE tell me who these "engineers"
crackmeup2.gif
work for.
I want to know what oil company to stay away from.
06.gif

Really, I want to know the name of the oil company.

Bill

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Yes you can use it. Yes it is inferior in every way to the 0w-20 and 5w-20 in that motor. I doubt it will cause a problem but the thinner oil are better.
What makes thinner better?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The question is why expensive 10W30 oil in placed of an expensive 5W20 oils such as PP ? Specially for warranty coverage, Toyota may decline warranty on the engine parts if they find out that 10W30 were used.

Yes. I would go with the OEM recommendation. Why risk the warranty?

- Newer engines have tighter tolerances
- Viscosity is a key parameter for oil pumps

I heard Toyota has a few engineers that hopefully know what they're doing!

If you're looking for a full-synthetic, consider ENEOS Fully-Synthetic Engine Oil:

Nippon Oil manufactures the ENEOS brand and they also manufacture the factory fill 0W-20 to Toyota.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The question is why expensive 10W30 oil in placed of an expensive 5W20 oils such as PP ?

I meant to say in-expensive 5W20 oils such as PP.

Can he exchange 10W30 to 5W20 or 0W20 ? Manufacture warranty is very importance, don't do anything that can void the warranty, IMO.

Last edited:
BIll not spending money on anything. He already has the oil. Paid 99 cent a quart.

Find some person who will give him $4 a quart. (Craigs list, online classified, etc)

Go down to Wal-Mart and buy 5qt jugs of Valvoline, Pennzoil, QS, Halvoline or Mobil 5000 for around $2. (5k oci or 6 months which ever comes first. He will be well protected)

Make a little and not have to hassle with the warranty coverage if needed.

I would NOT run it even OUT of warranty. 5w-30 is the highest I'd run.

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back