A good, free disk fragmentor SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
so i was wondering if someone knows a of a reputable, free disk fragmenting software

Hmm... I think Windoze does a whole lot of disk fragmenting all by itself, but I'm guessing what you wanted to ask for was disk defragmenting software.
LOL.gif

FYI, I use the free version of Auslogiscs on all my PCs as well.

hehe yeah :) forgot the "DE.."
installed Auslogics on mine, wifey's and neighbor girl's laptops...all are happy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

You can't tell me when installing an operating system that fragmentation on the registry and hard drive won't increase overall speed in any application over cleaning out the system. I do both..cleaning out the system especially with internet usage I do that daily.

Yes I can. Some applications don't even access the registry. Cleaning out the registry is more important than defragmenting it. The registry file is really not all that large. System cleanliness is paramount (as I think you are alluding to) those who keep their systems clean seem to create far less drive fragmentation to begin with......

Once an application is in RAM, hard drive fragmentation is irrelevant to that program's performance. And if a file is in 15 pieces or in one, we are talking MILLISECONDS in terms of the difference in time it takes for the drive to access it in the first place.

The biggest gains are made in system load time by putting all the boot files at the fastest part of the drive, and together so the heads can read them in series and minimum seeking takes place. This, and making sure the page file is in one large piece (though diskeeper won't even defragment it unless it's in more than four pieces....... ) will reap the most immediate gains.

The fragmentation needs to be EPIC in nature before the milliseconds in seek time add up enough to be manifested in the form of something that is noticeable to the end-user.

Much like the "fresh oil makes my engine freer feeling", there is oft the placebo effect with computer "maintenance" software as well.......

I defragment my Windows servers about once a month. Even then, the fragmentation is minimal.

The WORST fragmentation I've ever seen was on a 4 year old XP install that had NEVER had the drive cleaned, and NEVER been defragmented. I have a screenshot of it somewhere. I'll post it up if I can find it.

The professional version of diskeeper will actually give you some estimated numbers on the improvements that it's actions will make on your system. Most people would be surprised at the very small gains that are actually realized on systems with moderate to heavy fragmentation.

Here we go, found a win2K server that had a bad case of the fragmentation blues
wink.gif

NOTE: This drive is only 40GB, and has 28GB of FREE SPACE. This is SEVERE fragmentation.

fragmented.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a way to keep the registry & MFT (Master File Table) from fragmenting--important on any computer IMO, but especially when there's tons of small files.

Download & install the 30-trial of DiskKeeper's Defrag program. I make the MFT about 5GB in size. For file servers, 8-10GB, for extreme file servers, even larger. Note, this process takes a LONG time, often overnight.

Then perform a boot-time registry defrag.

Uninstall the DiskKeeper product.
grin2.gif

I have 4 Pentium 4 2.8GHZ Dell servers running 24/7 for the last 4 years with this setup. It's nice to not have to ever worry about MFT fragmentation...for free!
grin2.gif

WOW! That is a bad case of fragmentation OverK1ll! I wonder what the % was? I have seen in the 40-50% range but that looks way worse.

I agree on putting the most important files on the outside track for access speed. I believe Iobit does this but Auslogic does not.

** What are your thoughts on page file Fragmentation? Should the page file min and max be set the same?

Last edited:
Yes, set a static page file and make sure it's in one piece. Most of the good defragmentation software will optimize the placement and one-piece the pagefile.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
The Auslogics site has a free registry defragger also.

how important is this to do?
I use CCleaner registry cleaning tool once in a while...
is this something better?

How would you make it one piece? By setting "no page file" and then restarting and and then setting it up right?

Last edited:
If you're using Windows Vista, be very careful which third-party defragmentation programme you select as it may not have the capability of managing Vista shadow copy files.

I use native Vista defragmentation programme regularly and have never had any file fragmentation problem, ever.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
How would you make it one piece? By setting "no page file" and then restarting and and then setting it up right?

No, Perfectdisk, Diskeeper and O&O all have the capability of combining the page file fragments and moving it to the middle of the drive.

Be sure to set the size to static before doing this.

Originally Posted By: Iain
If you're using Windows Vista, be very careful which third-party defragmentation programme you select as it may not have the capability of managing Vista shadow copy files.

I use native Vista defragmentation programme regularly and have never had any file fragmentation problem, ever.

Perfectdisk, O&O and Diskeeper are all compatible with Vista.

It would be the "free" products that I would be wary of in this environment.........

Overk1ll: But if I don't want to use those programs to do it would setting it at "No page file" rebooting and then setting the size to say 1512-1512 min and max accomplish the same thing?

Originally Posted By: sprintman
CCleaner is a very mild reg cleaner. AMUST Registry Cleaner 3.5/4.0 about the best imo and I've used a few. .

do you have the option of saving a back up before you run the reg cleaner, like CCleaner prompts you to do?

97tbird, the two apps do different things to the registry. CCleaner removes old/unused/incorrect entries from the registry. Registry defragger, on the other hand, ensures that the entire registry is located in one single area on the disk, so that the system doesn't have to hunt around the disk to access various parts of that registry.

On my XP machine I have a second HD that I created a 2GB partition that only contains the pagefile. With the pagefile being the only thing on that partition you don't have to worry about fragmentation of the pagefile.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Overk1ll: But if I don't want to use those programs to do it would setting it at "No page file" rebooting and then setting the size to say 1512-1512 min and max accomplish the same thing?

It might, or it might not. Depends on how windows chooses to write it to disk unfortunately.

Could always download a trial (as suggested before) of one of the defrag programs that DOES do this, and then uninstall it when it's done.

These "paid for" programs also do system file and MFT defragmentation as well in the form of a boot-time off-line defrag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back