BP/Amoco Ultimate and Ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, can anyone tell for sure if Ultimate here in the midwest has 8% ethanol, 4% or none? Can't seem to find definitely anywhere. Can I blend a 2% salt water solution with it to separate it to measure the residual ethanol?
Thank you all.
Tom

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Top tier gas uses 8 to 10% for the base fuel.

You keep stating this although I have proven this to be untrue several times - what is being tested for Top Tier gas is the additive package - the baseline gas used for the test has 8-10% ethanol in it.

The great majority of gas for all brands come from the same distribution terminals - with the additive package for that particular brand added into the delivery truck load before it is delivered - thus why the additive package is tested, not the complete fuel.

"Like I said, what is being tested is the additive package:

"1.2 Deposit Control Additive Requirements. The deposit control additive used to meet the performance Standards described in 1.3 shall meet the substantially similar definition under Section 211(f) of the Clean Air Act. Also, the additive shall be certified to have met the minimum deposit control requirements established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 40 CFR Part 80. Lastly, the additive shall be registered with the EPA in accordance with 40 CFR Part 79."

and

"1.3.1.3 Demonstration of Performance. The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 shall contain enough deposit control additive such the IVD is no more than 50 mg averaged over all intake valves. Results for individual valves and an average shall be reported. The unwashed gum level of the fuel containing deposit control additive shall be determined according to ASTM D 381 and reported."

and

1.3.3.3 Demonstration of Performance. ... A demonstration of additive performance shall be conducted using the same vehicle (including the fuel drain and flush procedures and installing new injectors) with the same batch of base fuel, but now containing the same amount of deposit control additive as in 1.3.1.3. A pass is defined as no more than one inoperative injector."

and

"1.3.4 Determination of Deposit Control Additive Performance Concentration.

1.3.4.1 Methodology. The concentration of deposit control additive needed to meet the standards in 1.3.1.3 and 1.3.3.3 should be equivalent. However, if the concentration of deposit control additive in 1.3.3.3 is grater than in 1.3.1.3m the higher value shall be regarded as meeting both standards. Also, if the difference between the two concentrations is grater than 15%, 1.3.2.3 shall be repeated using the higher concentration."

Thank you all. We spoke to BP today and found that in our area, chances are lower their Ultimate has ethanol. So, we bought new gas and did the water blending test and the separation clearly shows our Ultimate is, well, Ultimate gas only.
Again thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question.
Tom

The only gas station in NC that I ever saw selling ethanol blends was a BP, but the Ultimate contained no ethanol. The 87 was 10% and the 89 was (I think) 8%.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
The only gas station in NC that I ever saw selling ethanol blends was a BP, but the Ultimate contained no ethanol. The 87 was 10% and the 89 was (I think) 8%.

The operative word here is "saw".
I researched this. I always assumed if there wasn't a sticker indicating 10% ethanol, then it was ethanol free. I was wrong.
It seems that 6 years ago NC did away with the regulation to post ethanol content, it is no longer mandatory, so you can't tell. Score 1 for the lobbyists.

Originally Posted By: Studebaker
Originally Posted By: kingrob

The operative word here is "saw".
I researched this. I always assumed if there wasn't a sticker indicating 10% ethanol, then it was ethanol free. I was wrong.
It seems that 6 years ago NC did away with the regulation to post ethanol content, it is no longer mandatory, so you can't tell. Score 1 for the lobbyists.

Studebaker, do you have a lot of ethanol stations up in the mountains? I know here near Fayetteville there was a big write up in the paper about how nobody wanted to sell it or try it out.

That's interesting, I didn't know they could sell non-labeled ethanol blends. Makes me wonder if I'm getting it from some of these stations and not knowing. On the other hand, I notice my exhaust has a distinct smell from ethanol and a decrease in performance/mileage. I figure I would probably notice the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back