Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all my years of using Apple computers I have not once been confronted with a "directory." Go ahead and snicker already.
grin2.gif

I have run into an issue with a handheld internet tablet (Linux-based). I downloaded ScummVM, which allows to run a large number of older video games. After opening ScummVM, I click "Add Game" and a list appears on the left side of the screen. I suppose this is the directory from which I should choose the game that I want to launch.

scummvm1.jpg

I can't find the game that I keep on the tablet's external SD memory card. The game is too big to fit on the tablet's internal memory.

I would like to know what I have to do to make ScummVM find the game. I'm not sure ScummVM can "see" the memory card. Due to my lack of experience dealing with directories, I can't even tell if ScummVM even shows the directory of the tablet or if that is a default directory. I doubt it shows the tablet's directory, showing for example "floppy."

The directory shows:

bin
boot
cdrom
dev
etc
floppy
home
initrd
lib
media
mnt
opt
proc
root
sbin
srv
sys

I can guess for what some of these acronyms stand, but I don't know where to find the memory card with the game on it.

You are viewing the root file system of the tablet "/". Those are not acroynms, but subdirectories (like windoze folders) of the system; if the memory card is mounted it will most likely be under "media" This is where "removable media" is usually mounted on linux

It will NOT be under bin boot dev etc initrd lib opt proc root sbin; those are "system files" that, as mentioned previously, you do not own.

What would really be helpful is a terminal window (not kidding)

Quote:
if the memory card is mounted it will most likely be under "media" This is where "removable media" is usually mounted on linux

If I choose 'media' it does not find the game. How do I know the memory card is mounted?

Quote:
What would really be helpful is a terminal window (not kidding)

I can launch the terminal, but I prefer not to touch it.

Well, ScummVM is an app running under linux; the key is to find out whether ScummVM can't see the game/SD card or the N800 can't see the SD card (or can see it but can't read the game from it)

If the Nokia can't see/read the card, there is no sense in trying to find it thru ScummVM.

Did you download the game onto the SD card using the Nokia or download it on another machine and then plug it into the nokia? Obviously if you downloaded the game on the card with the tablet, the tablet "can see it"

A terminal window will allow you to search the entire system (with one command) to find where the SD card might be mounted (mounted means "made available for use") It might also allow you to look @ the system logs to see if the nokia sees the SD card.

mori, thanks for the info on ScummVM. This emulator looks way cool. I enjoy playing some of those older games!

If I could just find the original Pitfall & Kaboom for Atari 2600 roms...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Well, ScummVM is an app running under linux; the key is to find out whether ScummVM can't see the game/SD card or the N800 can't see the SD card (or can see it but can't read the game from it)

The N800 can read the SD card, I can find the folder with the game on the SD card, but ScummVM can't.

Quote:
If the Nokia can't see/read the card, there is no sense in trying to find it thru ScummVM.

The n800 can see and read the card.

Quote:
Did you download the game onto the SD card using the Nokia or download it on another machine and then plug it into the nokia? Obviously if you downloaded the game on the card with the tablet, the tablet "can see it"

First attempt: I had the game on my Mac. I copied the game to the SD card, which I then put in the N800. ScummVM couldn't find the game.

Second attempt: I downloaded the game (.exe file) from online onto the N800. ScummVM couldn't find the game. I don't know what to do with .exe files. I don't run into them on the Mac and I don't think the Nokia can open them.

Quote:
A terminal window will allow you to search the entire system (with one command) to find where the SD card might be mounted (mounted means "made available for use") It might also allow you to look @ the system logs to see if the nokia sees the SD card.

Since I can find the SD card, it must be mounted.

I don't know if I have all the necessary game files. The game that I have on the Mac consists of three files (COMI.LA0, COMI.LA1, COMI.LA2) and one Resource folder.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
mori, thanks for the info on ScummVM. This emulator looks way cool. I enjoy playing some of those older games!

If I could just find the original Pitfall & Kaboom for Atari 2600 roms...

They say ScummVM is not an emulator.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=215346

Quote:

Don't SELECT the /media nor the /media/mmc1 (or mmc2). Descend down through them (tap the directory names to go into them) to get to the game.

For example, let's say the game is copied from your CD copy of the game onto your removable memory card in a directory named 'monkey'. Put the card back into the N800's removable slot and close the door. 1) fire up SCUMMVM from the app menu 2) double-tap on 'Add game...' 3) Tap on 'Go up' until you see that the path is now '/' (root directory) 4) double-tap on 'media' 5) double-tap on 'mmc1' 6) You should see the 'monkey' directory--go ahead and SINGLE tap it to highlight it 7) Tap on 'Choose' to see if it'll find the game data.

I am probably grasping at the proverbial non biodegradable straw.

Last edited:
It was all so easy on the Mac that even I could do it. I installed ScummVM and I dowbloaded the games. I opened ScummVM and simply clicked "Add Games." ScummVM simply found the games without me having to use any directories.

Do I have to name the folder in which I keep the game on the N800 in a very specific name? Can I for example call it 'Monkey3,' or does it have to be in some other form?

It appears that the version of ScummVM that I had downloaded was either old, incomplete, or defective. The latest version of ScummVM allows me to double-click "media" in the directory. Then both memory cards show up, and double-clicking reveals the contained folders and files, including the game(s). I can now play 'The Curse of Monkey Island' and 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.' I may want to also get 'Sam & Max Hit the Road.' The humor of those games is right up my alley.
grin2.gif

Yikes.

sample_gifts (Hee-hee) will be happy to know that I also used the dreaded terminal to remove an otherwise not removable desktop icon of a cheesy game that I uninstalled. I had to access rootsh or something via a small downloadable application. For some reason I did not need a password.

Double Yikes. I'm exhausted.
20.gif

Quote:

I can now play 'The Curse of Monkey Island' and 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I rejoice knowing I have contributed to the happiness of a small part of humanity....

Perhaps with the Terminal you have found a new friend?

-Thomas

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Perhaps with the Terminal you have found a new friend?

-Thomas

Maybe I found a new fiend.

-Tom

PS: Now I need someone to explain what on Earth repositories are. It never ends. Well, not yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back