Thoughts on Royal Purple motor oil for turbo cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on UOA's that I've seen in WRX's, I wouldn't use the 5w-30 in an SRT-4. I've seen two 10w-30 UOA's where it sheared to a 20 grade in 1,100 miles and 4,000 miles.

There's a former WRX owner and RP21 user here (Ed Hackett) that had lower wear with GC.

-Dennis

Hmm...I'm going to do a UOA after 3k miles and see how it looks. Next oil change I might try redline or amsoil.

Their ATF seems to work well as PSF in Ford applications.

I wonder if the much-hated Exxon-Mobil provides RP's basestocks......

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Their ATF seems to work well as PSF in Ford applications.

I wonder if the much-hated Exxon-Mobil provides RP's basestocks......

I read on a Mustang forum that BP provides their base stocks.

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
I am not trying to start a big debate, and this is not the greatest example.

Your high power trucks you speak of are putting out approx 60Hp/Liter

The Modded SRT is putting out approx 108hhp/liter, almost double.
The Stock SRT is putting out approx 94hp/liter

I know its not the greatest example, but I would bet the little srt motor is stressing the oil more than the big truck engines.

My trucks did a lot of heavy towing so they beat the oil pretty good.

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
I am not trying to start a big debate, and this is not the greatest example.

Your high power trucks you speak of are putting out approx 60Hp/Liter

The Modded SRT is putting out approx 108hhp/liter, almost double.
The Stock SRT is putting out approx 94hp/liter

I know its not the greatest example, but I would bet the little srt motor is stressing the oil more than the big truck engines.

I also think at half the cylinders regardless of displacement, there's much more load on the bottom end at a given power level. And usually turbo motors make quite a bit of torque too.

You know any high performance motor, be it FI/Giggle Juice/Blown/Stroked whatever can really benefit from a larger sump capacity. On the GTO we have a little over 8 quart capacity (6 qt stock) with a dual remote PermaCool filter setup and Oil Cooler. I highly recommend the OP look at increasing his sump capacity either through a larger oil pan or the items listed above. Whatever the OP's oil choice may eventually be it will benefit from the additional cooling and capacity for sure.

5 quarts isnt enough? I know you can modify the oil filter mounting bracket, which will remove the oil/coolant heat exchanger so you can fit a larger oil filter. you can also remove the balance shaft and something else(cant remember right now) to get the total sump to 7quarts

FWIW: the stock bottom end has proven time and time again to hold 450hp/400tq. That makes the car very cheap to make good power....throw on a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, fuel pump and injectors and a few other supporting mods for a total of less than $4000 in new parts($3k for used), and you have a 400+hp Neon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back