Gas with 10% Ethanol, Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from a trip to southern NJ and noticed that regular gasoline in the US contains 10% Ethanol at all stations I filled up along the way.

Good or bad?

Does ethanol have more BTU per gallon that straight gasoline, more octane? Is it more corrosive? How about mileage?

My middle tankful in NJ (Sunoco) returned my worst mileage this summer but the return leg from Atlantic City to Plattsburgh NY was the car's best so I'm a bit confused.

yep, ethanol is in most gas you find. SOme claim they can get ethanol free gasoline, I dont thing ive seen such a thing around me.

Ethanol has a lower heating value (energy content) than gasoline. Supposedly it helps burn cleaner because of the oxygen content in it. THat's false economy to me, IMO, as were actually spewing additonal tonnage due to increased use, even if its only 2-3%.

There are lots of factors pertaining to fuel economy, you might have even gotten a bum batch or something!

JMH

I typically lose 1.5 to 2.0 MPG using 10% Ethanol.
frown.gif

There's a BP station near me that has 92 Octane 100% gas for Boats, Motorcycles, small engines, etc.

I get most all of my truck's gas there, they don't care.

I actually save money paying more for he 92 octane, 100% gas, but in turn, getting better gas mileage....!!!
grin2.gif
banana2.gif

Allright, now any company still selling 100% regular gas in the US?

I did notice the fuel gauge starting to go down faster with E10 so a 3-4% decrease in mileage is likely. Or could be those dreaded half shaft boots on US pumps preventing a complete fill up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Minou
Allright, now any company still selling 100% regular gas in the US?

I did notice the fuel gauge starting to go down faster with E10 so a 3-4% decrease in mileage is likely. Or could be those dreaded half shaft boots on US pumps preventing a complete fill up.

Citgo claims 100% gas except in select metro areas according to their website.

Until about 1 month ago, I could get Shell 100% gas. Now that gas station even uses E10 and I can't find any station nearby using 100% gas. My gas mileage has took a significant dump (at least 2 MPG). I'm [censored]'d.

The Citgo in Ephrata, PA has a sign "No Ethanol in our gas!" out front in large letters. I've been tempted to try it, but it's a 20 minute drive from my house and Hess is a lot closer (but has 10% ethanol).

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
The Citgo in Ephrata, PA has a sign "No Ethanol in our gas!" out front in large letters. I've been tempted to try it, but it's a 20 minute drive from my house and Hess is a lot closer (but has 10% ethanol).

The citgo in Willow Street claims the same.

" Gas with 10% Ethanol, Good or Bad?"

Well we first had C.A.F.E. and maybe they're trying to even things up. How much more millions of gallons of gas if mpg drops. Who gains $$$ from it. Not the consumer!

Its odd, my crown vic consistantly gets better mileage when I have used 93 octane from my local BP then when I use their 87. I can't figure it out really.

Here in PA in Allegheny county I thought we always had the 10 Ethanol across the grades. The car runs pretty much the same on both but when I have used 5.5 and 7.5 gallons of 93 (in a 19 gallon tank) my mileage goes up. From 12mpg to 15-16mpg. Yeah thats low but I do ALOT of heavy heavy city driving with alot of idle time in traffic. And she is a 4000lb crown vic.

All CVs are tuned for 87 octane so the computer should not be doing anything different and it didnt ping before so its not that. Idk, I am wondering if the 93 maybe doesnt have the booze.

We frequesntly drive from Northern NJ to South Florida several time a year for the last 30 years. When you get south of Richmond it starts to return to 100% gas. There used to be a map around showing where 100% gas was, can't see to locate it now even with google.
The mileage and drivability is unquestionablly better with 100% gas. Vehicles used over the recent years have been 05 Accord, 4cyl, 99 and 04 Tahoes, and an 02 Corvette.
BRING BACK 100% GASOLINE

Like mentioned, ethanol has about half the BTUs of gasoline.
Some of this is recouped by being self oxygenated.
Figure power and economy to take a 3% hit for the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back