Amsoil 15w40, 6250 Miles, 2001 Dodge Cummins 5.9L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first time we have done an analysis on this vehicle - that has 151,000 Km (94,375 miles) It looks OK to my untrained eye - but looking for a more expert opinion. It looks like this oil could have gone much farther - but not sure how much. Any opinions?
Thanks

Sample Date 18-Aug-08
Oil Amsoil 15w40 (AME)
Mileage (Km) 151000
Mileage on oil (Km) 10000
Mileage on filter (Km) 10000
Oil Maint. changed
Filter Maint. changed

Silicon 4.1
Potassium 0.3
Sodium 1.6
Fuel (%) Glycol ---
Water (%) Soot (%) 0
Sulfation 163
Nitration 65

Boron 2.4
Barium 0
Calcium 3693
Magnesium 12
Molybdenum 0.6
Sodium 1.6
Phosphorus 1192
Sulfur 4061
Zinc 1380
Visc@40°C ---
Visc@100°C 13.9
Oxidation 234
TAN
TBN 11.1

Iron 12
Nickel 0
Chromium 0.9
Titanium 0.2
Copper 0.7
Aluminum 2.9
Tin 0.5
Lead 2.3
Silver 0.1

On this new load, I would suggest running 10k km and then a UOA. Thereafter, a UOA every 5k km continuing along the way to establish the trending. I think you'll find the Amsoil products much more capable than a 10k km OCI. The greatest strength of any synthetic is longevity of service.

I agree that some of the readings are either incorrect or on some unrecognized scale, but that doesn't disuade me from my suggestions.

This engine shows NO sign of contamination from coolant, excessive dirt, or fuel dilution. Test the second batch of AME after 20,000-25,000 km and you'll still see some margin of safety.

The lab was Wear Check in Burlington Ontario Canada.

I don't know what scale is used for oxidation or nitration, but will find out.

Thanks for the recommendations for longer OCI.

This is the message I got back from Wear Check when I asked about the units for nitration and oxidation.
It appears these analysis results are useless for this oil?
Those readings are in Percentage Allowable (PA). This is essentially a reading of how close the oil is to requiring an oil change. 100% PA would indicate that you have used the oil to the end of it's recommended life.
Now having said that, the oxidation reading of 234 should raise some concern, however as this is a PAO based synthetic oil, the oxidation peak on Infra-red is interfered with the bonds in the PAO molecule so we have to disregard the oxidation reading for this type of oils.

Best Regards,
Bill Quesnel
OMA I, OMA II Certified
Vice-President
WearCheck Canada Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back