How often do you change ATV oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada,North America,Western Hemisphere,Earth,Milk
Planning on putting some Esso XD-3 into my Suzuki air cooled 4-stroke.

Hasn't been started up in a few years, planning to change the spark plug,clean the air filter, and replace the oil filter. Anything else I should check?

Anyways, I will probably only get a total of 5-10 hours of riding this whole summer. Should I change it before winter storage? How much longer will synthetic last in an ATV compared to dino?

Yes, change it before winter storage. Don't bother with synthetic, dino will work fine. I change the oil on my recreation quads about every 12 - 15 hours; 5 - 6 hours on my race quad.

Chris

I ran the Esso XD-3 last summer in my Bombardier Traxter last summer. I liked it better than any other oil I have run - including expensive synthetics. I change at least twice a year and normally use Valvoline 10-40 ATV oil I got for $1.00 per quart. It is JASO MA so I do not worry about the clutch.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Every 2 yrs on my ATV's, approx. 500 miles. Only use Amsoil.

Do you replace the oil filter at the one year mark?

Do you run a high quality filter?

I'm also running the amsoil atv stuff in our honda sport quads and i would like to know more here. The filter's i am running are the cheapo's at rocky mtn atv.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Mike do you use the Amsoil mcf 10-40or the atv 0-40, Craig.

I use the AFF 0W-40 PowerSports Oil. I only change filters when I change oil. I am running a TwinAir air filter too.

I bought the ATV is April of 2006, changed out the factory oil at about 1 hr. Put in the 0W-40 and ran that till fall of 2007 which was the last time I changed it. Going to let it go till fall of 2009 most. Note-ATV not in use from about Dec thru March (lots of snow, 200"+).

My nehpew is using the 0W-40 in his big 850 CA-AM along with a TwinAir also.

The motorcycle oil would also be good.

So far this year I have 400+ miles on my oil and its still on the full mark and looks as clean as the day I put in it. I am running a WIX oil filter, no EaO filter available for this ATV (uses cartridge type).

I have a 2006 Honda Rincon 680 pushing 1,000 miles and been trouble free.

Mike_dup1 is running about the same thing that I am except I have a Polaris. I use mine in the winter for ice fishing and the 0W40 starts great. Wix filters are available at NAPA (NAPA Gold). I change the oil every spring.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

Do you replace the oil filter at the one year mark?

Do you run a high quality filter?

I'm also running the amsoil atv stuff in our honda sport quads and i would like to know more here. The filter's i am running are the cheapo's at rocky mtn atv.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Which Honda sport quads? Does the engine and transmission share oil, i.e. 300ex, 400ex? If so then I'd change the oil every 20 hours max, especially if you run them hard. The trans gears and wet clutch shear the oil pretty badly and it needs to be changed more often. If you have the 450R, they have a seperate engine and transmission. Engine side of that quad can probably go 40 or 50 hours easily with the right oil, but I'd change the trans oil at 15 to 20 hours with a high quality dedicted moto trans oil. Hope this helps.

Ths Rincon is a utility ATV, not considered a sports quad that I know of.

It shares the engine with the trans oil as does the Rancher (own'd 2), Foreman, etc. So far I have logged nearly 900 miles with only 70 hrs of use. I just use it for pleasure riding and no young kids ever ride it.

Most of the time mine never runs over 30 mph, ladies don't like to ride that fast, kids want to go all out.

UP of Michigan ATV Club

Isn't the Rincon the one that uses the automotive style automatic tranny with the torque converter? My guess is that they might be particular on which oil is used, but maybe not.

I don't know to much about it. The trans does shift just like a car.

The Rincon uses the same you would use in any other Honda or other make ATV for that matter, JASO MA/MA2. The manual specifically warns against using automotive energy conserving oil though.

I just scanned thru the service manual to be sure and the engine, trans and torque converter are lubed with engine oil.

3sp auto trans with torque converter.

I have a '07 680 PGFI Rincon, I run it in the U.P. out of 54121..this is my first year with it and I clocked over 2k mi...never missed a beat, I fill with Amsoil 0w-40 and have 1500 on it now after break in and intend to do 1yr. or 2k OCI's w/OEM oil filters.

2000 miles is a lot! I ran about 600 this summer. Do you ride any of the Mi-TRALE trails is the western UP? Hundreds of miles of signed trails.

You can go from Iron River to Copper Harbor and many miles in between.

Mi-TRALE

I'd like to plan that run to Copper Harbor in '09..need to get my hands on the map and he doesn't make them easily available short of visiting a sponsors tavern five hours/275 mi. away..any way around that for the map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back