ACEA vs. ILSAC vs API Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
what basegroups are used in amsoil? something from the COMPANY, not from the associates, please.

5w-30 wear? not really sure. here were the numbers i got on a quick survey. i cherry picked, (ie, no modified cars, no cars with problems and i threw out everything over 100k). 3 samples each

Fe
pp avg 1.733/1000 miles
M1 avg 1.540/1000 miles
Am avg 2.181/1000 miles

not sure 3 samples of each oil make a statistical sample, and i think one of the amsoils may have been dino (what is XL?) if you throw that one out, and add the next one in the list, amsoil comes out at 1.52.

I would guess that Amsoil's "associates" are getting the info from Amsoil.
I thought XL was GrpIII and everything that costs more was GrpIV or GrpV.
Pablo, is that correct?

Are you wear numbers from the same engine/car?
Was the OCI the same for all 3 oils?
I'm just remembering what others here have said. And I made it a question in hopes that someone who's used both PP and M1 and has done UOA's would respond. Failing that you could look in the UOA section.

How about wear numbers for Amsoil 5W-40, M1 0W-40, and GC 0W-30?
Anyone have UOA's for all those in the same engine?

wasn't sure about the "XL" oil.

as far as my quick survey, they are not from the same car, or the same OCI. i did give the numbers in ppm/1k miles, which should be a "normalizing" factor.

max mileage was 10k, min was 3k, average was about 6500.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

Don't know if Toyotas really care/know difference, but the A3 is more robust. As for weight, don't go 40 weight unless your manual allows it. If you have an oil pressure gauge that really shows actual pressure (not dummy needle that never moves with rpm), then stick with 30 weight if sufficent pressure. There is a spec pressure, whcih I don't know for Toys, but for my Fords it's usually 40-60 psi at 2000 rpm hot.

well that' sjust the thing... the manual is very vague... anything from 20w-50 to 10w-30 for my temperature ranges, and it's "too hot" for 5W-30 (I still don't get it!!)

Toyota OEM is 10w-30 so I think that is probably the best grade for it

Unfortunately don't have an oil pressure guage...

True, M1 gives good numbers, but some will have a nice feeling to know for sure they have PAO. Info from Mobil is going to be limited as per big corporations, somewhat Amsoil too, but the site reps seem to have a lot of good info that is hard to get from mainline oil companies.

Yep....PAO that COMES from Exxon-Mobil.

I still find this debate about M1's PAO content to be ridiculous. The product works well, and the fact that they are one of, if not THE largest MANUFACTURERS of PAO base stocks really begs the question as to why they would NOT use PAO as their basestock........

There are many oils from Exxon-Mobil which we know are PAO based. Their 0w20, 0w40, 5w40 TDT.... I believe it was Doug Hillary who provided that info. Their 5w30 and 10w30, I don't know. I also don't know about their 0w30.....

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I think the ACEA standards have been around for a while. I haven't been keeping up with all this but my impression is that if an oil meets ACEA A3 then I would use it without reservation, provided it is a viscosity allowed for my engine. In general I doubt any oil below 30 weight will meet ACEA A3 and then it would be a synthetic as a dino needs 40 wt to meet the HTHS reqmt of ACEA A3. Not sure a 20 wt can ever meet ACEA A3, unless an ester oil perhaps Redline 5w20.

Do you know of nay mobil products in xW-30 that meet A3?

Does Toyota's relly care or reliase the difference between A1 or A3? WOuld an A3 oil be better for my camry even if it was an xW-40?
(I'm not too worried about fuel economy, but more about wear and cleanliness)

Their 5w30 meets A5/B5......
Their 10w30 meets A5/B5......
Their 10w30 T&SUV meets A5/B5-04.....
Their 0w40 meets A3, B3/B4.....

It appears the 0w30 only meets A1/B1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back