Dino 5w20 good enough for Canadian winter weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada,North America,Western Hemisphere,Earth,Milk
I own a new 5.7 Tundra with a 7.5 L oil capacity. Warranty still in tact and I plan on doing my own oil changes and documenting everything. Manual specs 5w20 but prefers 0w20 at 5k intervals (8 kilometers).

Just wondering if you were me and you planned on keeping the vehicle for a long time.Would you rather use a dino 5w20 or synthetic 0w20? I do plan on taking lots of snowboarding trips to the mountains and here in Edmonton it does occasionally dip into the -30 Celsius range.

in terms of semantics, there's no such thing called "dino" 5W20 for in order to meet ILSAC GF-4/API SM gradings, all 5W20 are blend of GpII and beyond.

most 0W20 that I know of are at least syn blend or beyond.

Q.

I'm running MCraft 5W20 in my fit and I'm intended to do so for at lesat 20+yrs (until I decided to move on with my life and/or sell it off for whatever reasons).

I think 0w20 Mobil 1 would be ideal for that job - excellent pour point and easily able to tackle the lenghth of your OCI's.

I know Bill in Utah can expound on dino oils in cold climates better than me because the coldest it gets in Houston is maybe 30 degrees F.

Cheers!

Is the Tundra parked in a garage during the nights?

Does it have a blockheater?

Depending of the answers, that could change the recommandations. Is it that cold overthere? I thought it would be more in the -15 -20C range.

If you have one of the above, I think a thin dino or synblend 5W20 oil will be good enough until you are out of warranty as I said in the Corolla 09 thread.

Still my 2.2 CAN cents, 1.5 euro cents.

My 2 cents are still on a good dino or a synblend. Check the manufacturer data sheets for low CSC and MRV (the Petrocanada oils are quite impressive). I don't see the absolute need of a synthetic oil, still too expensive for 5 Kmiles.

The blockheater will help for the rough mornings to be back in more agreable territories.

When you will be able to extend your OCIs, you will have the double benefits of using the 0W20 oil.

Either at PC gas stations (expensive), or at PC bulk lube depots (have to buy quantity).

If you don't change the oil yourself, there are a few OC franchises that use PC oil - 'Oil Changers' is one of them.

The additives and VII in dinos wear out quicker than synthetics in extreme hot and cold conditions. That might be something to consider.

Last edited:
Hey, a fellow Edmontonian.
55.gif

You should have no problem running a 5W-20 in the winters here. I run 5W-30 conventionals year round in a vehicle that sits outside here in Edmonton. No problem down to -30C, although when it gets in the low -30C's, cranking gets a little sluggish.

5W oils are rated at -35C for cold MRV pumpability (and they are usually well below the specification limit). That is about how low I am comfortable with 5W oils. If it regularly hit -40C (like Ft. McMurray) in the winter, then I would probably be using a 0W oil, but here in Edmonton, I think 5W oils are fine.

5W-20's are also generally blended to a little lower CCS and MRV (cold specifications) than the 5W-30 oils, so 5W-20's should be a little better in the winter than the 5W-30's I use.

i'd say go full synthetic.. :) it'll give you the best pumpability for cold winters. here in new brunswick im going to use dino this winter but its only cause im going to run auto rx in it to clean it (then dino again to rinse it) i plan on driving down to maine (1hr drive) more then once too :) .. after that im going PP 5w-30 on my caravan.

We use 5w20 in our Ford gasoline Trucks on the North Slope of Alaska. -30 is common (we plug in, block heaters). (we are starting to opt for gas instead of diesel power for our vehicles due to the low sulfer diesel requirments makingdiesels simply uneconomical fo r our fleets.

try pennzoil 5w20 yellow bottle or
quakerstate 5w20 peak performance

pz pour point is -39 c
qs pour point is -36 c

excellent for dino, don't think any other dino comes close,
i think even petrocanada 5w20 dino is at - 30c

Originally Posted By: blackhondaccord

i think even petrocanada 5w20 dino is at - 30c

Petrocanada 5w20 dino pour point is -36C (-33F).

As said by others, the problem is to find it and not pay to much for it compare to the other oils.

If you can, go for it, you should be happy with it. If you cannot find it or find it too expensive compare to PZ, go with PZ Yb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back