2004 Lincoln LS V8 wanna change the trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, steve here. I have a (new to me) 04 Lincoln LS V8 with a 5R55S transmission. The car has little over 80,000 thousand miles. I am useing Redline Motor Oil in the motor now.

I want to use the best Trans fluid I can.
Should I use Redline ATF, or Royal Purple ATF, or ? ?

What do you guys think is the best

Thanks guys

anything that is compatible with Mercon V will work.

how do you plan on filling the trans? do you have the special tool from Rotunda. that trans does not have a dipstick, and proper procedure from Ford is to fill through the plug inside the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
anything that is compatible with Mercon V will work.

how do you plan on filling the trans? do you have the special tool from Rotunda. that trans does not have a dipstick, and proper procedure from Ford is to fill through the plug inside the drain plug.

My buddies shop is going to do it,(I am going to do it in my buddies shop with him showing me what to do)

I think the 5R55S transmission is like the 5R55W on my '02 Explorer - takes Mercon V and has no dipstick. It is filled through an inner small plug in the drain pan plug with a special adapter. PITA for the home mechanic like me, but as you are doing it in a shop, less hassle.

Ford Motorcraft Mercon V fluid is a synthetic blend, IIRC. You could certainly just load in fresh Motorcraft Mercon V. For synthetic fluids you have a choice:

1) Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. This is a good fluid and the one I used for a recent partial fluid change.

2) Redline D4. A great choice for a Mercon V compatible fluid - less widely available than the Mobil 1 and more expensive.

3) Amsoil ATF. This fluid has a lower 100C cSt Viscosity than a Mercon V fluid (6.8 vs. 7.4) so I am concerned that it is less compatible with a Mercon V tranny than the other choices.

4) Valvoline Full Synthetic Mercon V. An officially licensed Mercon V full synthetic ATF. I've never seen it on shelves so it may only be special order item.

5) Royal Purple Max synthetic ATF. I do not know much about this fluid.

Next spring I am planning to drop the transmission an, change the filter and do a complete fluid replacement. Right now I am planning to use the Redline D4 ATF as I think it may be a bit higher quality than some other the other fluids and is a better match for Mercon V than the Amsoil ATF, at least based on viscosity.

Rumple

Last edited:
OK....I just responded over in the oil forum.......so you will see it there.
The Redline D4 is the ATF you would want in the Redline ATF line up.

As you already have a source for Redline (as I read in your oil post), this should be a good choice.

I also mentioned keeping the A/C on (defrost mode will also do this in many vehicles) when in stop and go traffic.
This will keep the radiator fans on......which will do wonders to keep the transmission fluid temperature down.
Stop and go traffic is super hard on a automatic transmission.....particularly in hot weather.
A cooler radator will result in cooler ATF.....and if you have an auxillary transmission cooler.....it will REALLY pay off to keep the radiator fans running in the stop and go situation.

Might be a little off subject....but it is the right forum......You might consider a yearly bleeding of the brake fluid at each wheel......a change of the power steering fluid (that is a good 4 years old now).....note that many FORD vehicles call for Mercon V ATF fluid for the power steering......and also...you are coming up on when the coolant should be changed (many FORD vehicles call for a G-05 fluid......Motorcraft Gold.....and Zerex G-05 are the way to to if this is the case).
I have found Zerex G-05 at AutoQuest......it is hard to find as compared to the Non-silicate types that are what most of the coolants on auto part store shelves are now-a-days.

Check your owner's manual to verify the correct specified fluids.

The brake fluid bleeding.....I find that brake fluid seems to get dark near each wheel....which is where it will see the heat.
I notice that the factory instructions for my vehicle for doing a brake job make no mention of bleeding fluid.....they have you remove some brake fluid from the master cylinder....and push the caliper piston in.....pushing the fluid back up into the master cylinder.....
In this case.....for my vehicle.....the brake fluid is NEVER bled from each wheel in the life of the vehicle.....and the fluid gets the worst at each wheel.
So.....it is only my opinion.....but I like the idea of bleeding the fluid at each wheel to keep the fluid fresh.
Motorcraft actually has a EXCELLENT brake fluid....the ONLY way that you are going to beat its 550 degree F dry boil point is to get some brake fluid from a speed shop (and you will need to make sure that it is compatible with the fluid in there now......as not all are compatible).

yeah, definitely change the PSF, those things love to eat the steering rack. Something about a cheap platic bushing vs a bronze bushing in the S-type rack. I've got a buddy who went thru 2 racks in a couple months of flogging his LS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back