Diesels future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the diesel engine have a future with the big three? Diesel fuel is more money than gasoline and here in New york you can not even get a diesel.it seems that the diesel has the odds stacked up against people buy one.I hope the future is better in New York for people to buy a Diesel/Hybrid diesel.Joe

VW will shortly have diesel engines available in 50 states. Honda is testing their Euro Accord (rebadged as Acura TSX here) diesel in the US. Claims are that it will meet 50 state requirements.

The big three have so thoroughly dropped the ball that they will most likely need to get diesel technology from another country to meet emission standards. You might recall their inability to put decent diesels in cars last time they tried it.

A gallon of diesel fuel has about 20% more energy in it than a gallon of gasoline. On top of that diesel engines are more efficient. A 30% advantage in fuel economy for a diesel over a gas engine in the same car is common.

yes, while I certainly agree with XS650 that diesel fuel has more calorific content than gasoline but technological progress has made diesel engines just as difficult to achieve exhaust cleanliness, pollution reduction, reduced engine noise, etc. to a higher level than that of gasoline.

Also: here in beaverland we see more and more F250 gas single occupant recreational drivers (meaning that they are not trades person with vehicle full of gears, etc.) switching over to diesel in the name of efficiency. Trouble is, it's their behaviour that hasn't changed a single bit, still driving as a single occupant, non-trades person style up and down da street dumping diesel exhaust fumes all along our neighbourhood. As a consequence: we aren't seeing efficiency gains on an individual level simply because of these doupheads ....

smirk2.gif
06.gif

The EPA and all their regs (along with CARB) are making the diesels get worst mileage with more expensive fuel.

Add how complex the smog equipment plus the extra cost over gas and diesels are going to loosing market share except in the REAL big trucks.... (not incl the jacked up joke trucks carrying a lunch box. They need a diesel and cost be dammed...)

JMO, Bill

I agree on the cost to meet emissions standards but the VW and Honda Accord (Acura TSX) should be right up there with the best for their size and weight.

In my travels you sure see a bunch of Ford Powerstrokes and Chevy Duramax, Dodge Cummings, for sale in front yards. People paying 600 dollar monthly plus 4.90 fuel equals bad new for the big three in this market. I know a guy who went in to Order a new F-350 powerstroke and they told him it would be next spring before it was delivered because of production cut backs. This ultra low sulfur fuel has played havoc with new tractor trailers. I have spoke to several who say the egr systems keep them in the shop more than on the road. As far as the small personal vehicle market, it will be a joke. With new government mandates and ULSD requirements, reliability and fuel efficiency will be below average.

it's all a conspiracy anyways.......hopefully common sense will prevail and Gorebal Warming/Environmentalism/Big Giant Idiocy/Sheeple-People will die down just like fly-fishing did after the release of "A River Runs Through It" ruined it.

The big three? Is that Opel,Mercedes and VW? Or Toyota,Nissan and Mitsubishi? The diesel has a huge future with any automotive manufacturer outside the US I'd say.

Originally Posted By: Quest
yes, while I certainly agree with XS650 that diesel fuel has more calorific content than gasoline but technological progress has made diesel engines just as difficult to achieve exhaust cleanliness, pollution reduction, reduced engine noise, etc. to a higher level than that of gasoline.

Also: here in beaverland we see more and more F250 gas single occupant recreational drivers (meaning that they are not trades person with vehicle full of gears, etc.) switching over to diesel in the name of efficiency. Trouble is, it's their behaviour that hasn't changed a single bit, still driving as a single occupant, non-trades person style up and down da street dumping diesel exhaust fumes all along our neighbourhood. As a consequence: we aren't seeing efficiency gains on an individual level simply because of these doupheads ....

smirk2.gif
06.gif

People should be able to drive as they wish. This isn't "people's states republic" nor do all of us buy into the Gorebal Warming idiocy. Save your judgements for your own life and you might find some things you can improve on yourself instead of calling other people names like a gradeschool child because they don't behave or drive as you think they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back