Valvoline Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/p...r_oils?CID=1337

Quote:
The product replaces virtually all VW specifications
and is suitable for engines with WIV system, for extra long drain intervals up to 30.000 Km. or 2 years. SynPower
XL-III SAE 5W-30 can be used in modern VW, AUDI, Seat and Skoda gasoline and diesel engines and gives
excellent protection even under extreme circumstances. Can be mixed with all a.m. motor oils.
Valvoline SynPower XL -III SAE 5W-30 is also approved by Mercedes-Benz on page 229.51 (includes 229.31).

http://www.valvoline.com.au/pdf/SynPower Full Synthetic Range.pdf

Quote:
Available in the following viscosities:
SynPower MXL 0W-30 SynPower MST 5W-30
SynPower 0W-40 SynPower 5W-40
SynPower XL-III 5W-30 SynPower 10W-50

It IS very interesting to see these oils that Valvoline offers in Europe, but if you want this sort of oil in NA, then buy Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30. It is very similar.....

It reminded me to ask if the TBN of 5.9 for the SynPower XL-III SAE 5W-30 is not too low, and if the TBN of SynPower MXL 0W30 (9.91) or 5W30 (9.0) are not more suitable for long drain intervals.

I am having currently in the engine Valvoline Synpower 5W40 (TBN = 10.3)

Originally Posted By: pscholte
If only I had a Skoda to use it in...nahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Which oil did you referred to? To Synpower 5W30 XL-III, SynPower MXL 0W30, 5W30, or to Synpower 5W40?
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
How difficult is it to find SynPower 5w-40 at local auto stores? Thinking of using this oil in my g/f's '01 Jetta if it's readily available and cheaper than GC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How difficult is it to find SynPower 5w-40 at local auto stores? Thinking of using this oil in my g/f's '01 Jetta if it's readily available and cheaper than GC.

This weekend will be my first run on Maxlife Full synthetic 5W30 in the wifes 97 2.0L.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
This weekend will be my first run on Maxlife Full synthetic 5W30 in the wifes 97 2.0L.

This one doesn't meet the VW 502.00 spec. I wonder if it's because of insufficient HT/HS, high sulfated ash, or some other reason.

What OCI will you be running with it?

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

This one doesn't meet the VW 502.00 spec. I wonder if it's because of insufficient HT/HS, high sulfated ash, or some other reason.

The Jugs of Maxlife Full synthetic 5W30 I have, meet the VW 502.00 spec.

We have a non turbo and does meet the spec of the 2.0L. Im thinking 4-6 months or 5000-7000 miles.

The Euro Valvolines are not the same as the US Valvolines.

Be very careful, especially if you are running vehicles that have specific oil specification requirements.

Typically, if an oil lists a recent VW, MB or BMW approval (not just a meets/exceeds but APPROVAL) you can expect a product formulated to offer advanced protection over a TWO year oil change interval which is typical in Europe.

Although I would not personally run any motor oil in any vehicle for that long, I do trust it enough to run the full oil change interval as suggested in the owner's manual.

IIRC that was the rationale behind the original GC mysticism. That it was a true Euro formulation that was being relabeled for US consumption. And therefore a relative steal at US oil prices.

I switched to the full syn. 5w30 flavor in my '02 530i I recently purchase (all previous changes at the BMW shop with 11-13k intervals. I'll run this for 6 months, which will be 5-6k miles.
So far so good, the car runs very smooth with it and the engine is nice & quiet. I think the Full-Syn. HM oil is a very good oil.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
If only I had a Skoda to use it in...nahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I drove a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI the last time I was in Europe. I wish they sold it here (at the discount to VW prices it enjoys in Europe). It is a fine automobile.

Originally Posted By: Yuk

I just looked at the jugs of Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w-30 at my local Wal-Mart - no mention of VW spec anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Yuk

I just looked at the jugs of Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w-30 at my local Wal-Mart - no mention of VW spec anywhere.

I didnt see that either but i went by the GL-4 rating. The 2.0L is GL-2 rated. I was told you can increase the GL rating and not have a issue....so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back