AC Delco PF52 = Napa Gold/Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Wal-Mart a few days ago to get the oversized AC Delco PF52 for my mom's 3.1 Malibu, and came home and took the filter out of the box and noticed it was a Napa Gold/Wix re-badged! It has a silicon ADBV and the traditional Wix 6-hole plate. I went back today to buy a bunch more, and they were all put in the back and replaced with ones that have a nitrile ADBV and a slightly different endplate. I got 5 of them from the back of the rack, for $3.44 a piece! So, if you have a car/truck that can use the PF52, see if your Wal-Mart has any of the Wix AC Delco filters left, it's half the price of Napa and you can get it locally! I took a pic for comparison. On the left is the (newer?) design that seems to be replacing the Wix, and on the right is the rebadged Wix/Napa Gold PF52.

Note: On the left it is a PF47, but the PF52's at the front of the shelf had the exact same endplate and adbv, I just don't have any other non-Wix PF52's to display. Also, I apologize if this is old news, but I wasn't aware of it so maybe others aren't either, and I thought I would spread the word. Another Wal-Mart I went to didn't even have any of the Wix AC Delco's left.

Edit: This cross-references to a Wix 1036 and a Fram PH3980.

Last edited:
ACDelco seems to change suppliers alot. I know at one time they were champ e-core. I bought one once thinking it was a e-core. E-core "52" type are the only oversize that will fit on my old Cavalier because they are slightly shorter. So I was unable to use it, and went back to ST.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
ACDelco seems to change suppliers alot. I know at one time they were champ e-core. I bought one once thinking it was a e-core. E-core "52" type are the only oversize that will fit on my old Cavalier because they are slightly shorter. So I was unable to use it, and went back to ST.

Do you happen to know who makes the PF47 on the left? It doesn't look like any of the other filters I have... I was thinking maybe Champion but I'm not positive.

Hmmmmmm, I dunno. Maybe it's an Ultraguard in Duraguard clothing. Regardless, it was a sweet deal. Cut one open after the next oil change.

I popped a box open at WM today and it looked just like the filter on the right. Whatever it is. I might have to get a couple. They will still fit the Montana. Might get one or two of the 47s if the are the same for the Cavi.

All of the 47's I've seen are like the one on the left, but if you find any with a silicon ADBV I would get it for sure.
thumbsup2.gif
A way you can tell if it has the silicon ADBV is that on the box, it'll have larger writing for the part number on the bottom. For example, the word PF52 will be larger in print on the one on the right than the one on the left. Also, on top of the can, it won't say "Made in USA" if it is the silicon ADBV, whereas the nitrile will say it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
That doesn't look like a Wix 3rdye - it still looks like the Delco Ultraguard to me. Wix filters have a spiral center tube.

Not all of them. Both of those filters have side seamed center tubes. One is just corrugated before it is formed and locked.

Last edited:
I saw what you were saying about the larger text. All the PF52s on the shelf were large text with the filter on the right packed inside. Well, I didnt check them all, just a small sampling. :p I bought two. I do believe it is a wix though.

I contacted AC Delco to ask about the PF52. They said all their filters had a nominal micron rating of 30. When I asked about 2/20 beta, they said they did not give out such information not would they say who actually made their filters.

Quote:
When I asked about 2/20 beta, they said they did not give out such information not would they say who actually made their filters.
Isn't Corporate America great??
They probably don't know who's making them this week.
crazy2.gif

Someone in here will probably find out shortly!!

Walking down the filter aisle at Walmart I saw a slightly crunched PF52 box, and something prompted me to have a look at its contents.....

IMG_4596_704.jpg

larger

IMG_4597_704.jpg

larger

They look almost identical. The perforated tube is exactly the same, the gasket looks the same, but there are very slight differences on the base plate with the numbering and the chamfered holes on the PF52. The other 4 PF52's on the shelf had the nitrile rubber ADBV.

It only cost $3.67, which is $2.02 less than I paid for the Wix at O'Reilly.

AC Delco used to make their own filter years ago. Then they just started rebadging other filters as delcos. Champ Labs has been making them for quite some time now, maybe it was time for a change? That WIX sure does look identical!

Third Ye > Looks like a great price on a well built filter, I do think the filter on the left is a champ labs, but is from their more high quality line not the Ecore economy line.

Drew99GT > Not all WIX filters have the spiral center tube, the WIX 1516 I use does not have it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back