Best oil for Honda Eu2000i

Hi everybody, first post at this great place.

My question to all is concerning the 'best' oil for my Honda Eu2000i. First let me preface that it's used to power my camper.
We camp primarily during the cooler months in upstate NY. I would say that the temperature range basically goes from 40 down to the low teens. The generator runs about 16 hours per day for about 3-4 days.

We change the oil every 30 hours. I've always used Mobil 1 5w-40 or 10w-30. I would prefer oils that are easily obtainable through either local retailers or auto stores.

Are there 'better' choices out there? Thanks to all.

The new CJ-4/SM rated, Mobil1, 5w-40 is about the best for off the shelf. I'd think a 50 hour interval would be conservative, depending on the quality of the air filter..

I run a 0w-30 synthetic HDEO in my Yamaha EF2400is generator for the same temperature range. The other suggestions are good too. I would also recommend a longer OCI especially since it is on 16 hours at a time.

It is always good to hear that advice from someone way more knowledgeable as you did from TeeDub. I installed a digital hour meter on mine just for overkill, and because it typically runs for 2-3 hours at a time throughout the camping season. Otherwise it's hard to keep track of the hours.

Welcome to BITOG!

M1 Turbo diesel truck 5-40 CI, CI+ or CJ. It is one of the finest oils mankind has ever made. 50 hours would be too short for this oil. Go at least 100. Plenty robust additive pack, in fact, more so than all readily available gas eng conventional or syn oils.

Plus at 100 hour intervals, you could keep enough on hand. So you would not be searching every 2 days.

Those gensets last a long time!

I have one of those Honda generators and they are a fantastic piece of equipment. Mine runs constantly during power outages which last time lasted 7 days, I only turned it off to change the oil or refuel. I use Mobil 1 in 10w30 but my temps don't get too much below freezing. I change it out around 50 hours run time and it still looks new!

Honda is fine tuned you don't need a 40w only make the engine run harder...friction. Synthetic 10w-30 should do fine.

Given the choice I would use the Amsoil ASE 30w. Also doesn't Honda have a shutdown feature should engine over heat. Does the Honda engine shutdown, 16 hrs sure is pushing it.

I still like the 30w in extreme conditions as this is extreme!

the eu2000i has low oil shutdown, but not overtemp. The manual calls for 10-30, or 5-30 in cold climates (I just bought one).

My honda mower (CX series engine??) did NOT do well with M1 10-30, but it works HARD. Based on the high amounts of metallic slivers and smokey startup after 2 years of M1 use with conservative OCIs, I avoid M1 in my OPE.

Rotella T 10-30 has become very hard to find, so my eu2000i will get syntec 10-30. I like rotella T, but 5-40 would be too thick IMO for a plastic-slinger-lubricated 99cc engine.

M

I bought the exact same generator for Ike!!! What a great machine!! It didn't even come off the eco idle running my small window unit.

With the a/c and the fridge, it would run at high speed but a tank of gas (1.1 gal) would last from 10pm at nite until 6 am. I use GC in it and all is well.
It ran for a week solid except for gas and oil changes.

I plan on getting another one just like it and use the synchronization cord that links 2 of them together for a total of 4000 watts surge ( or 3600 continious).

It was the quietest generator on my block.

My next door neighbor had a 5500 (brand unknown) that tore through 200 gallons of gas before the power came back.

He bought it for less than my Honda cost but then gave the savings right back at the gas station. And it was noisy!!!

Honda generators are great!

I have one and have been thinking of getting another one too but to be honest WHY? it does all I need too, fridge, tv and maybe a window unit at night, the entire south is now prepared for armegadon between generators and firearms
wink.gif

Ive been using Valvoline "Premium Conventional" 10w30 in mine. Its do for another oil change. Is this an ok oil to use in these?

Thanks

Same topic, different question.. What is the difference between the Amsoil 4-Stroke oils (WCT 10w30 or ASE 10w30/sae30) and the regular AMT 10w30??

Brian

Why not just use genuine Honda engine oil?
Like this stuff which you can buy from Amazon, eBay or presumably any Honda OPE dealer.

This oil would have been formulated with the appropriate additives, and not have any extra "engineering" for catalytic converters like automotive engine oils. Makes sense to me to just stick with what the manufacturer knows is best for their engines.

Am I missing something? Is it for cost reasons that folks on the forum are specifying other brand and viscosity oils? Surely a Honda snow blower would be operated in freezing conditions, so Honda would already know about that. Or a Honda generator can be expected to be used to run an airconditioner when boondocking in the summer time.

s-l640.jpg

In Australia, the 1 litre packaging has a really handy pull out long spout pourer incorporated into the bottle. Super handy.
And a larger 4 litre bottle for contractors who go through a lot of oil.

premium-engine-oil_10W-30.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just use genuine Honda engine oil?
Like this stuff which you can buy from Amazon, eBay or presumably any Honda OPE dealer.

This oil would have been formulated with the appropriate additives, and not have any extra "engineering" for catalytic converters like automotive engine oils. Makes sense to me to just stick with what the manufacturer knows is best for their engines.

Am I missing something? Is it for cost reasons that folks on the forum are specifying other brand and viscosity oils? Surely a Honda snow blower would be operated in freezing conditions, so Honda would already know about that. Or a Honda generator can be expected to be used to run an airconditioner when boondocking in the summer time.

s-l640.jpg

In Australia, the 1 litre packaging has a really handy pull out long spout pourer incorporated into the bottle. Super handy.
And a larger 4 litre bottle for contractors who go through a lot of oil.

premium-engine-oil_10W-30.jpg
This thread is 12 years old.

Back