Good Sport Touring bikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jim5
Ever try this on your goldwing Don? I think the sparks would show up well against new tarmac, your dark bike and dark pants!

I did scrape the peg once ... the bike will lean, that's for sure. But that's not my style. I'm a chicken at heart.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
just too big and bulky for me at this point in my life. Yeah, i guess I could be 35 and touring on a wing, but I am more into the "sport" side of the touring

Scaredy-cat!
wink.gif

The big/bulky is true enough. I suspect the "sport" element of the Wing would surprise most people ... it really can maneuver. But it is 800 pounds dry, and that ain't light.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
you look pretty sexy in that jacket, but where are the gloves?

I feel sexy in that jacket! Actually, the jacket (Cycleport) is a really nice one -- sturdy as can be and remarkably cool.

I have a pair of yellow gloves -- they don't match the jacket or the bike or the shoes.

Someone else told me that picture just proves I'm not ready to have a BMW ... the premise being, I guess, that BMW riders have a keener sense of fashion coordination.

I have read many times that those goldwings really handle. In the hands of a good rider, they can really surprise people. They're fast too. I think it's safe to say that they're the best in class.

It's a bit too much tonnage for me, but for super long distance, especially on the interstate, they would be just the thing! I won't rule it out 20 years from now.

Y'all are making me feel old! I'm only 49!

I think I'll dump the Wing and get a Kawabusa GZX9000 and really light up the streets of Tucson!

crazy2.gif

Nah ... I'm a boring old codger and the Wing suits me just right.
LOL.gif

I've ridden the 1800 Goldwing as well as the ST1300 and the FJR1300. I would easily put money on the Goldwing outperforming both the sport tourers when put to the test, that thing is unbelievable! It handles waaay better than the previous generation GW and has esentially unlimited power on demand. I was seriously amazed by its ability. The bonus is the level of comfort it offers beyond any sport tourer.

Here's how I ride my Wing.

Hint.... I bought it when I was 31 (thirty one).

My footpegs are missing some of their length, and have for a couple of years now. My mufflers, lower fairing covers, and highway pegs are all scraped up as well. The picture answers how that all happened.

Yes, this is at Deal's Gap.

img_2582-1.jpg

Isn't it a shame to take a $15,000 bike, and then start grinding it into nothing but sparks in the corners?

Here's another shot taken at Deal's Gap.

B1400414.jpg

It's not just an old mans bike anymore. Nearly 60,000 (s)miles and counting.

Reading in the October 2008 Issue of Cycle World on page 34, the Honda Gold Wing is a "giant sportbike"

Handles well, etc...

still at this point in my life I think I am good with the FJR1300. When I do get in my late 40's and 50's maybe a wing....

Reading in the October 2008 Issue of Cycle World on page 34, the Honda Gold Wing is a "giant sportbike"

The story is that when the GL1800 was refreshed in (I think) 2001, the project was headed up by the chief design engineer for the Honda sport bike line. He took what he knew about sport bikes and folded it into the redesign of the Wing. And the new Wing (at that time ... 2001) was a complete re-design ... a whole new frame and suspension setup. Whether all that is entirely true I can't say with certainty. But give the way the bike handles, and Honda's obvious pride in their sport bike heritage, it would not surprise me.

still at this point in my life I think I am good with the FJR1300. When I do get in my late 40's and 50's maybe a wing....

cool.gif

Yeah, I hear ya. I know several people who have an FJR1300, and to a person they say it is an awesome machine. You can't go wrong. Yamaha in general makes some spectacular bikes, and the FJR fits the sport-touring space as well (some say) as the BMWs. The consensus seems to be that the ST1300, good though it may be, pales next to the FJR. I'm not going to get into that debate here, but that's what I've heard.

Scraping hard parts is not a sign of good riding technique. You should be hanging off/shifting weight to the inside to keep the bike more upright. One good mid-corner bump while scraping hard parts is a great way to meet the Armco.

As well as the Wing handles for a luxo-tourer, weight and lack of cornering clearance are not your friend in the twisties.

Drew

Drew-

It's a Goldwing, and I'm not the knee dragger type.

That said, I have scheduled some track time this fall with a local guy who does ride competitively. He has seen the same pictures and has planned what needs to be improved upon.

It should be a lot of fun.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Drew-

That said, I have scheduled some track time this fall with a local guy who does ride competitively. He has seen the same pictures and has planned what needs to be improved upon.

Track days are excellent. They give you the opportunity all at once to have the most fun while simultaneously being the most scared you can be. No better way to improve your skills in the safest environment possible for this type of activity.

I'm not the knee dragger type either. My wife calls me a knuckle-dragger fairly often though. That has more to do with my opinions I suspect.

Drew-

Excellent! Track riding is a blast and a great way to test the limits safely with a huge learning potential. (You're not riding the Wing on the track, are you?)
wink.gif

Some of the track riding classes like Califonia Superbike School and others are worth the $$ even for strictly street riders.

FWIW, you don't have get crazy dragging knees. Just dropping your head and shoulder into the corner a bit goes a long way helping to keep the bike more upright even if your butt never moves on the seat. Ride safe!

Drew

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
FWIW, you don't have get crazy dragging knees. Just dropping your head and shoulder into the corner a bit goes a long way helping to keep the bike more upright even if your butt never moves on the seat. Ride safe!

Drew

I agree. I find that when things get twisty, I shift around a little to get my chin closer to the outside of the mirror that is inside the curve. It makes a big difference because not only do you shift weight to inside the turn, you shift some weight forward, which alters the steering geometry (brings the forks more upright) a little to make the bike turn more quickly.

There's some excellent books out there on sport riding technique that can benefit any rider. They can prepare you for your track days and your daily rides, plus they're fun to read when it's -20 outside and you can't be on the bike.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Excellent! Track riding is a blast and a great way to test the limits safely with a huge learning potential. (You're not riding the Wing on the track, are you?)
wink.gif

Drew

Yes, I *am* riding the Wing on the track. My instructor has no problem with me out there on the Wing.

Why would I do track time on some other bike, that I've probably not ridden before, and wouldn't be comfortable with?

You make a good point mrsilv. The plus of bringing your daily driver is that you will really get to know the bike and its limitations. The minus is that it is hard to really find your limits on such an expensive bike. It's OK with an expensive car because sliding off the road and into the weeds usually just means a car-wash. On a $20+k bike, you can't really test those limits.

On the other hand, not many people have the money or interest to have a track-only beater bike for pushing the envelope. Nothing wrong with running what's in your garage!

When I was 16 I could ride real good
crazy2.gif
I watched an AFM road race and thought I could go that fast! I loaded up my Yamaha 125 twin and brought it to the track and quickly learned that those guys sure could ride.

Why would I do track time on some other bike, that I've probably not ridden before, and wouldn't be comfortable with?

As was said...
...rashing up a 600cc track beater is a lot less stressful than a nice street bike. A smaller, lighter bike like a 600cc is perfect to practice with and the comfort-learning curve isn't very steep. The fear of $$ damage is reduced and you can concentrate more on technique and skill building rather than worring about paint.

Anyway, have fun!

Drew

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
There's some excellent books out there on sport riding technique that can benefit any rider.
I've read tons of them and recommend Nick Ienatch's "Sport Riding Techniques" to everyone. He goes into excellent detail on line selection, body position, braking, shifting and street strategy. Best of all, it's the best written, best edited book on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back