Cenpeco 15w40, 275 hrs in JD 8760 (619 c.i.d.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA on our John Deere 8760.

78605497.jpg

The oil is Cenpeco 15w40 that was ran for 275 hours with JD filters. The engine has 6433 hours on it. During this oil change the fuel was also treated with Cenpeco super Diesel Klenz.

Iron: 8
Chromium: 0
Lead: 0
Copper: 0
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 3
Nickel: 0
Silver: 0
Silicon: 7
Boron: 9
Sodium: 0
Magnesium: 532
Calcium: 4015
Barium: 140
Phosphorus: 1450
Zinc: 1777
Moly: 6
Titanium: 0
Vanadium: 0
Potassium: 0
Fuel: Visc @ 100C: 13.89
Water: 0
Soot: 0.7
Coolant: None

TAN: 3.32
Oxid: 10.0

Now that's a big tractor.

Nice results, BTW. LOTS of Zinc and Calcium in that oil. Probably could have gone a lot longer on it.

Yes indeed, that is a serious tractor. Cenpeco makes a good diesel oil. It use to be really popular in this part of the country, but most of the old sales reps have either retired or died off.

We recently had to call the main office to find a new rep. since our old one retired. My dad has used Cenpeco products for many years with great results.

I wonder what the ash level is in a oil as additive strong as that oil is. Your wear numbers are well, very low to say the least. That is about 11000 miles on my car. That would be a 1 ppm total wear metals for every 1000 miles. I think thats a first for me, I cant remember seeing anything perform that well. Were was that motor made.

these engines are easy on oil, our 8970's(450hp) UOA's always come back looking good, we do 200 hr OCI.

Hello,

whether it's cars or tractors, I love these year models!

What lab did you use?

Are the soot, fuel and glycol readings from an FT-IR test?

Have you added any make-up oil within the OCI?

The lab was Citco Performance Monitoring in Cleveland, Ohio. To my knowledge no more than a quart or two was added during the course of this oil change.

daman, The 8970's used an N14 Cummins rather than a Deere engine.

.... So it's using a little oil?

hopefully, it does not smoke like that one: Youtube video: JD 8850

I have seen several JDs doing that, are they burning oil then?

Single digit iron is not uncommon and fine for a 250 - 300 hrs OCI in a HD diesel. The apparent absence of bearing wear is amazing.

You chose TAN over TBN?

I did not choose either one, TAN was included with the report automatically. As for oil consumption, I don't think it is out of line for a 10L engine that is run wide open/high load most of the time. It does not produce any visible smoke other than a brown haze when under high load. Cenpeco claims that their paraffin-base oils leave a film that protects the bearings on startup. This UOA is encouraging but unfortunetely I don't have any others with different oil for comparison.

The JD 8850 is quite a unique machine, we owned one prior to this 8760. They have a 955 c.i.d. (~15.5L) V8, I think it was rated at 370hp or so. Unfortunetly the engines were known for problems and many had issues with valve seats. Ours blew a headgasket and when the head was removed we found the biggest ring ridge that I have ever seen on a liner. We repaired the headgasket and used the tractor for several more years then ended up selling it. Last I heard it was plowing snow with a 14 foot blade at an airport in Montreal.

I cannot really compare my first UOA to anything either. 28 PPM iron after 790 hrs. looks fair to good, it doesn't see much high load though. Bearing wear was much worse than with yours. We are uncertain whether the indicated coolant was present, these IR readings can be skewed.

Anyhow, I like your 4WD. Is there a Caterpillar powershift transmission in some of these JDs?

I have been reading that V8 engines have been somewhat troublesome in ag tractors, including IH, Perkins and Cat 3208.

Originally Posted By: battyice

daman, The 8970's used an N14 Cummins rather than a Deere engine.

Right i know,,wasn't sure what the 87 used...had cummins in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back