FORD WSS-M2C931-B Spec motor oil, plz explain

Status
Not open for further replies.
For markets a particular motor oil for use in the Shelby GT500 and Ford GT models....it is a 5w-50 Full Synthetic

It now carries the "WSS-M2C931-B" specification....

The old spec for this oil was "WSS-M2C931-A" and was also an API "SL" rated oil...

The newer "B" Spec oil is an API "SM" rated oil....

Here is the rub...the new "B" Spec oil is required to maintain your new car warranty for the Shelby GT500....guess what the only brand on the planet you can get spec oil from is?

Motorcraft....! Average retail per qt. is around $10.00 + tax here in Seattle...

All other brands of oil that even offer a 5w-50 only meet the "A" Ford Spec, but are "SM" API rated....

I want to use PP, as that is what my shop stocks & sells....having to get this from a Dealer frankly chaps my hide.....

What I am really trying to figure out, is what is this "WSS-M2C931-B" Spec oil, and why is no other Company besides Motorcraft offering it?

I gotz' a funny feeling that the only difference may be the SL to SM API rating change.....

Help!

Sorry I can't answer your question but.....

Does the Magnuson-Moss Act apply in this situation? If you have to use a specific product (oil) to keep your warranty valid do they (Ford) not have to give it to you for free?

Originally Posted By: F23A4
Sorry I can't answer your question but.....

Does the Magnuson-Moss Act apply in this situation? If you have to use a specific product (oil) to keep your warranty valid do they (Ford) not have to give it to you for free?

\
No, because anybody can manufacture and sell oil made to that spec.

If Ford said you had to buy oil from them, then it would be an MM issue.

Originally Posted By: Big Jim
Amazing what you can find with a Google search. Trop-Artic has such an oil.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t4669.html

No, Phillips discontinued this oil in early 2007....I have spoken directly with a product engineer this past week....I have an engineer within Pennzoil owrking on this as I type....hopefully he will be able to find a reason for the "B" Spec product.

One thing, on the Current packaging for this oil, it does say that this oil is "designed exclusively for the Ford GT & Shelby GT500 models with the 5.4l Supercharged motors".

Could be the reason that no one else has bothered to meet the "B" Spec.....

i dont see a major oil manufacturer making such an oil due to the low volumes of these vehicles sold. i know castrol has a 5w50 oil, maybe they will change the spec to meet ford's certification. all i know is that i stock about 2 cases of the motorcraft 5w50 and a couple fl-2024 filters for the GT just in case. the GT500 takes a normal FL-820S.

we've had a few people come into our parts dept and complain to us about the pricing. we just tell them that they should have done their research before buying the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

we've had a few people come into our parts dept and complain to us about the pricing. we just tell them that they should have done their research before buying the vehicle.

Wow....nice customer service!

PP is also available as well as Mobil 1 in 5-50 "A" Spec....Hopefully one of these will come through and meet the "B" Spec so we are not forced to deal with I don't really give a [censored] dealers, snotty dealers...!

People don't expect to have the bottle of oil jammed up their rears sideways....

Hpow many people out there would even have the foresight to research a one of a kind oil spec for their car....? I do this for a living, and it never even crossed my mind! I knew the car used 5-50Syn, but until you go through the owners manual SUPPLEMENT, you would have no idea that a one of a kind oil was MANDATED.

How old is the B spec? In due time availability may increase. If your not pushing the motor to its limits continually you should have any problems using an A spec oil.

My best guess is the B spec is to protect Fords warranty cost from people who take these things to the track and drive them like dedicated race cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back