Motorcycle carb cleaner for bike that sat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

My brother just bought a 2000 V-star 650 with 1010 miles. That's not a misprint. All the miles were put on the first year and then it sat. I drained the gas at the guy's house and put in new gas and it ran much better, but still it's a bit rough. Short of having the carbs prefessionally cleaned, what should I use to clean them out and in what quantity? Thanks--

SeaFoam or MMO.
Use an appropriate amount.
2-3 oz with a good brand of gasoline.
I wouldn't go stronger than that.
Better to do two or three 'treatments' over time than trying to clean it all in one tank full.

SeaFoam and MMO should never be allowed to touch a high tech expensive bike. you want carb and engine problems, use them

get some Chev. Techron Concentrate only or Gumout Regane. polyether amine, best carb cleaner there is.
lay in a store of FP3000 for long term use.
turn the fuel off when bike is going to be parked longer than a week and run carbs dry.

Originally Posted By: Steelhead
SeaFoam and MMO should never be allowed to touch a high tech expensive bike. you want carb and engine problems, use them

get some Chev. Techron Concentrate only or Gumout Regane. polyether amine, best carb cleaner there is.
lay in a store of FP3000 for long term use.
turn the fuel off when bike is going to be parked longer than a week and run carbs dry.

Thanks for the tip. I have used both regane and Techron in my cars, but I have never had an issue with my bikes b/c I always run carbs dry and turn off fuel when storing my own bikes, so I did not know what to use. Also, what is FP300?

I would use the Gumout REGANE at the rate of 3 oz per tank of gas. I would do that every tank until the bottle is empty. After that, I would add 3 oz to the tank every 5K.

I have actual experience with that model of bike, each spring just a bit of crud causing a rough spot from 2800-3300 RPM (I installed a tach on the bike).

Sea Foam was a waste of time. What did the trick was Wynn's Xtend88 Plus. You can't buy this product off the shelf, but I never had any problem buying it through the local GM parts counter. Cost about $18.00/can, but it worked! Poured half a can into a full tank, drove the bike up and down through the RPM range and the problem was gone within an hour.

Many, myself included, have used MMO in our cycles for years.
Minor stumbling, rough idle or, in my case, to clean out any storage crud at the beginning of the riding season.
It works, no ill effects.

That's a nice bike. I've used Powerfoam before and some PI in the tank of a few Harley's that were neglected. Definitely agree with everyone else that you have to run them dry.

Well, I put Techron concentrate, about 3 oz in the tank and changed out the oil and took out the bike for the old 'italian tuneup' and it really started running a ton better. The only hesitation left is at takeoff with light throttle. I will run a few more tanks thru it and see if it get any better. Thanks to everyone for the tips. It is appreciated.

Good to hear. Usually if a bike will idle on all cylinders then any good cleaner will get those jets cleaned out over time. If it drops a cylinder at idle, then at least one of the idle circuits is plugged and you probably won't have any fuel flow through it to begin the cleaning process. In a case like that the carbs have to come off, or at least the bowls.

Another common problem is a sticking float or float needle, which can impersonate a gummed-up carb quite effectively. Tapping the side of the bowl with a screwdriver handle, with the engine running, will often loosen it up. Again, a bit of cleaner in the fuel will usually fix it right up. If you have overflowing fuel this is most likely the problem.

A little MMO IMO is very handy in a bike that won't be ridden that much. It'll coat everything from the inside of the fuel tank to the intake valves with the carbs' moving parts in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back