Who makes a 10 micron oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know frams orange can filter, is rated at 10 microns, pureolators blue pureone is suppsoed ot be around 7 microns.. wix ive read 15, same as amsoil. Mobile i belive is rated aroun 10, but i think its more like 12.
IDe imagine frams extend guard fitlers are rated for 10 microns as well.

Originally Posted By: easytim
Who makes a 10 micron oil filter? One that won't break the bank

At what beta number? There are plenty ..but few in automotive applications. A Duramax Chevy filter has (iirc) 8um @ 50% (beta=2) ..and is relatively cheap ..but generally speaking ..there's no 10um automotive filters. Hydraulic filters are in this range, but don't typically have bypass valves (they're in the mounts) and aren't available in the threads that you need.

I don't understand the obsession over trapping the tiniest particles of wear metals like that, a 20-25 micron oil filter is still going to give you a long engine life anyhow. I'd be more worried about a 10 micron filter not flowing enough oil on a cold winter morning, or plugging up quicker and not being able to handle much beyond 5k intervals.

There is data somewhere in SAE publications that suggest that getting below the 10um level reduces wear ..but you're correct, as Dave asserts ..that you're approaching infinity with engine life as it currently sits. If you could buy chassi (chassisees?) to throw your engine in ..at a decent discount, it may be worth it. You could still have your 3-5 year habit and not break the bank as much. But we don't drive 757's or even DC3's where you refit before you ever replace ..so ..
21.gif

You point about plugging it is valid. Without a synthetic media, normal cellulose can't go the distance. That's why you can't use a common hydraulic filter for a combustion environment. They don't have the holding capacity to go the distance at that efficiency rating.

If you want very good filtration with a long OCI, consider the Amsoil EaO filter line, and oils. I talked my neighbor into this plan, and he's very happy with the results on his Oddessey.

If you're not going to extend the O/FCI, then just run some decent brand name dino or group III, and a quality filter such as Wix or Purolator. The design and manufacture of vehicles over the last decade has proven that even the average car can go 250k miles before it wears out the drivetrain, with normal maintemance.

You're more likely to tire of the vehicle before you retire the vehicle.

Yes ..the EaO is the finest filter for full flow use with the holding capacity to endure extended drains. I'll also wager that it's the cheapest full flow filter available at that level of filtration over its longevity. It does fall short of the 10um level. For that, you need bypass filtration.

Sure there are speciality filters that are at or below 10um with ultra high efficiency.

But you shouldn't run them on your vehicle. Most have no bypass function, and the life cycle would be way too short. That's what Gary is trying to asert, in a nutshell, and I agree with him.

K&N makes has a great filter, Champion Labs as I recall. But I think what the guys are saying is that you need an efficiency rating or some beta ratios to really know what you are buying. "Removing contaminants as small as 10 microns" could be at 50% in the first pass or 90% in the first pass. I wish beta ratio data was manditory in filter specs. And while I'm dreaming I would like to see something other than just 2 and 20 micron. Why not throw a 10 micron beta ratio in there for good measure (so to speak)?

Originally Posted By: tropic
Umm... just what percentage of 10 micron contaminants do you think that K&N will trap?

I guess I should call them and ask that question

North America - South America - Asia - Australia/Oceania
Send all product related inquiries to: [email protected] If your question is vehicle specific, please provide the vehicle's year, make, model, and engine size in your email.

Phone: (800) 858-3333 or (951) 826-4000

Last edited:
I really don't think you have to worry too much about plugging. I do agree current pleat packs of cellulose media probably wouldn't have enough capacity if they used a tighter media. However, any oil filter that I've seen could actually get twice as much or more EFA by increasing the pleat height and density of the pack. There's plenty of room in the can for this. They could even get more if they were to spiral the pleat pack. If this were done I think the cellulose would be fine. Otherwise a blend or glass micro fiber would be best.

I've been using a 1um glass micro fiber media in a trasko filter rather than the trasko tissue paper for the last 22k miles. This 1um media goes more than twice the distance before I see dirt rings on paper. The trasko TP would usually start to show dirt rings after 6-7k miles. The glass media that I'm using has 12k miles on this filter and still isn't showing any dirt rings. The oil has 22k on it now. When I took the last glass media filter out of the trasko at 10k miles the top 1/3 of the media was like black grease. I was amazed that it was still filtering.

For me the reason for filtration to the 10um or less level is less oil changes, using less oil, and knowing that I'm not tearing my engine up in the process.

I read somewhere that EAO's were 98.7@15U (microns) and 50%@7U. Compared to some others Ford FL-1 33%@20U, 10%@12U. AC PF2 67%@20U, 10%@4.5U. Puralator PER-1 42$@20U, 10%@14U. Fram PH8A 78%@20U, 10%@12U. These figures were conducted by Milwauke School of Engineering Fluid Power Institure. SAE Test Method J806.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
I read somewhere that EAO's were 98.7@15U (microns) and 50%@7U. Compared to some others Ford FL-1 33%@20U, 10%@12U. AC PF2 67%@20U, 10%@4.5U. Puralator PER-1 42$@20U, 10%@14U. Fram PH8A 78%@20U, 10%@12U. These figures were conducted by Milwauke School of Engineering Fluid Power Institure. SAE Test Method J806.

I'm very much a new guy here, please tell me what this means.

I read somewhere that EAO's were 98.7@15U (microns) and 50%@7U

That it removed 98.7% of 15 micron contaminants and 50% of 7 micron contaminants.

What are EAO's

Last edited:
Does trasko really claim a 1/10 of a micron? Wow, it must be at like 1% because you can see a big improvement of using a glass media that has a nominal pore size of 1um compared to their TP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back