Pennzoil YB Vs. Havoline DS 5-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Im helping my grandfather decide on an oil for his car. He wont extend his OCI past 5k so we both agreed a dino would be the best bang for your buck and it came down to Pennzoil YB and havoline DS, Now P YB is 13.50 for 5qts and Havoline DS is close to $11 for 5 qts (wally world prices) Which would you choose and why besides the cost factor?

For 5K miles, I would use the least expensive oil I could find. I would buy the Havoline.

Have you looked for Havoline jugs at Big Lots ?

I would use Havoline simply based on price, and I have used it with great results. Pennzoil is a top quality oil as well but I have not had any experience with their conventional and it seems to be more expensive. I agree with chevrofreak, Mobil Clean 5000 is a great choice as well.

Wel since the price went up on Pennzoil I will endorse the havoline or Quaker state. He can also use the Supertech, the cheapest on the shelf at Walmart.

Yea, If it was me of course id go for the mobil 5000, but were talkin about an 83yr old grump who thinks mobil is garbage (for what reason beats me) I tried to sway him on that and got shot down 1/2 way into a sentence lol. So Havoline or the YB, I think ill try to get him on the DS. I like it, used it for years in my 3.8 camaro and it loved it( it was the old formula though) But i dont see anything that makes the YB shine over the havoline.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
He can also use the Supertech, the cheapest on the shelf at Walmart.

Barely, for now. SuperTech quarts went up from $1.88 to $2.24 here, and the 5 quart jugs are sure to follow. The Mobil Clean 5000 is still something like $9.74

I would go YB only because in my old truck nothing ran smoother than YB.

Ouch on the 2.24 a quart supertech. I can tell you when it is time to go buy oil again for my next oil change it will be between Motorcraft, havoline, Pennzoil(if they rolback the price), quaker state, or mobil.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Dang that is expensive for supertech! Thats not the synthetic?
Nope thats the regular dino flavor, I wouldnt even consider ST now with other reputable brands so close in price.

Originally Posted By: SRBowen87
mcrn said:
Nope thats the regular dino flavor, I wouldnt even consider ST now with other reputable brands so close in price. [/quote

Yeah no kidding! I just bought some for an Auto Rx clean phase but thats the last one for me! It seems like Mobil 5000 has become the best deal in oil now!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
mcrn said:
Nope thats the regular dino flavor, I wouldnt even consider ST now with other reputable brands so close in price. [/quote

Yeah no kidding! I just bought some for an Auto Rx clean phase but thats the last one for me! It seems like Mobil 5000 has become the best deal in oil now!
Agreed 100%

So, Im helping my grandfather decide on an oil for his car. He wont extend his OCI past 5k so we both agreed a dino would be the best bang for your buck and it came down to Pennzoil YB and havoline DS, Now P YB is 13.50 for 5qts and Havoline DS is close to $11 for 5 qts (wally world prices) Which would you choose and why besides the cost factor?

As much as I like Pennzoil conventional and had excellent results with it, I'd go with either the Halvoline DS or Mobil 5000 for a 5k OCI if the prices were more for the Pennzoil.

Excellent oils and in 200k, 300k you'd not notice any difference.
01.gif

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back