Using 0W30 instead of 5W30 in 2008 Prius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing my fathers oil change Thursday and need to pick up some oil. The book and cap both say 5W30.

Wasn't the old prius allowed to use 0W30 via the book? Or did I just read something wrong? Only because I was curious if so why it went from 0W back up to 5W? I know you can easily use 0W in 5W applications but like I said, I *thought* they bumped up the weight so was wondering if there was a reason.

If that isn't true then just ignore it... Should I go 0W30 or 5W30 for this change?

What OCI?

Since you have a 5 year or 60k warranty and NEED to do a OCI of MAX 6months or 5k miles whichever comes first, I'd run ANY 5w-30 (since the 0w-30 is going to cost double or more) and change the oil.

Back to your question, you can run 0w-30 with no problems.

Take care, bill

Running 5,000 miles.

My dad would like to use a synthetic oil this time around, so I was planning on using M1 0W30.

I just like the idea of a 0W30 oil for all the "cold" starting it does randomly. I think it will be better overall for the engine especially with winter coming up here in the next few months as well.

So cost is not an issue here at all. I just need to confirm that 0W30 will be "safe" to use in the 08' Prius if possible.

All is good?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xBa380
Running 5,000 miles.

My dad would like to use a synthetic oil this time around, so I was planning on using M1 0W30.

I just like the idea of a 0W30 oil for all the "cold" starting it does randomly. I think it will be better overall for the engine especially with winter coming up here in the next few months as well.

So cost is not an issue here at all. I just need to confirm that 0W30 will be "safe" to use in the 08' Prius if possible.

All is good?

I'd run it for the exact same reasons you've mentioned.

Frank D

Quote:
So cost is not an issue here at all.

Why drive a Prius?

Whatever..
smirk2.gif

Yea, he is fine to go with a 0w-30. A 5w-30 conventional will work in any cold we get (I've had 10w-30 well below zero for many many years with no issues. One of the cars has 331k miles on it with no problems on yesterdays oils.) But if he wants syn it is his money.

0w is not going to do any more than 5w in the cold you see BTW.

Take care, bill

So, the new 0W20 or 5W20 oils are not good for prius? Why? You would think that the part time ICE would squeeze more MPG with 0W20?

Ekpolk, since GC is almost 0W40, did you see MPG drop vs M1 0W30?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
So, the new 0W20 or 5W20 oils are not good for prius? Why? You would think that the part time ICE would squeeze more MPG with 0W20?

go here http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/52437-5w-20-how-many-here-use.html , then you'll see #3 reply , then below the ATTACHED FILES ( in red ) click on EG050-04 . We owned a '07 PRIUS and used PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 with good results , such as I.C.E (1.5 ltr. gas engine ) was much quieter , especially on the interstate at high speeds and while climbing hills . EKPOLK and others at PRIUSCHAT are well informed on the PRIUS .

Originally Posted By: smokey1

go here http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/52437-5w-20-how-many-here-use.html , then you'll see #3 reply , then below the ATTACHED FILES ( in red ) click on EG050-04 . We owned a '07 PRIUS and used PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 with good results , such as I.C.E (1.5 ltr. gas engine ) was much quieter , especially on the interstate at high speeds and while climbing hills . EKPOLK and others at PRIUSCHAT are well informed on the PRIUS .

OK, I saw the TSB. It doesn't answer my question. The question is why Prius is not compatiblesince with xW20 oils that toyota approved for most cars.

I think I will go for the 0W30 then, thanks guys. I didn't think the 0w vs. 5w would really cause any issues, but I just wonder why Toyota doesn't give the option of 0W30 or 5W30 like the other new toyotas? My scion says 0W20 or 5W20, preferring the 0W. I wonder why not with the prius?

Last edited:

OK, I saw the TSB. It doesn't answer my question. The question is why Prius is not compatiblesince with xW20 oils that toyota approved for most cars.
how am I suppose to know ? Don't give me an attitude , take it to TOYOTA ;- ) . Talk about ungrateful . Geeeeeeeeeeeesh .

Last edited:
My car calls for 5w-20 but the funny thing is the year previous to my 2006 year was 5w-30 in 2005. So does that kinda lead me to believe I can use 0w-30 once I am out of warranty? I wouldn't even try 0w-20 because my 5w-20 is phenomenal on gas but you never know how good it could be until you try. oil is like a box of chocolates..

Last edited:

OK, I saw the TSB. It doesn't answer my question. The question is why Prius is not compatible with xW20 oils that toyota approved for most cars.
how am I suppose to know ? Don't give me an attitude , take it to TOYOTA ;- ) . Talk about ungrateful . Geeeeeeeeeeeesh .

I see that you are super sensitive today. A friendly advise: metamucil is gentle and may work for you.

M1-0w30 or PP 5w30 will do fine. Both will cold start just fine in the temps up here in NE ohio. Go for the best price IMO.

Originally Posted By: PT1
M1-0w30 or PP 5w30 will do fine. Both will cold start just fine in the temps up here in NE ohio. Go for the best price IMO.

What is pp oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back