6.0 Recomendation (one more time!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted Shell asking them if either of their cj-4/sm reotellas meet the ford spec. here was their response:

Jason, the following link is the Ford Quick Reference Guide for 2008 Super Duty Trucks--see page 3: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/s...ickRefGuide.pdf "Use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent oil conforming toFord specification WSS-M2C171-E or API servicecategories CJ-4 or CJ-4/SM. It is important to use theseoils because they are compatible with the emissioncontrol equipment of your vehicle to meet the morestringent emission standards." It says to use CJ-4, so Rotella T with Triple Protection and our new Rotella T Synthetic (CJ-4) are suitable. I also have a copy of Ford WSS-M2C171-E and it says "Shall meet all the requirements of and be licensed to display API service categories CJ-4 and SM"--thus, both Rotella T with Triple Protection and our new Rotella T Synthetic (CJ-4) meet this Ford specification. Thank you for your interest in Shell products. Richard MooreStaff EngineerShell Global Solutions (US) Inc.Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United States of America800-231-6950

So it got me thinking and reading... Ford says the oil either has to meet the ford spec OR, OR the API cj-4/sm. Deffinately don't see the need for a syn oil down here in South FL, and being I want to keep OEM drain intervals of 5-7,5k. I know I want to stick with a CJ-4/SM 15w-40. I looked up the Motorcraft (conoco fleet) and the TBN is very low.. 8.4. Kinda makes me wonder when everyone else is 9.6-10.6. The Delvac, Rotella & Delo have my attention.. and on paper Delvac and Rotella seem nice. Opinions/results in 6.0's? I looked into buying the syn blend 15-40 from Conoco and it's hard as heck to get in SW FL, not worth driving around town for oil when diesel is $4.35/gal.

Last edited:
One thing that caught my attention was on the Delvac site, they mention Navistar as an approved OEM. Rotella does not. ??Not sure it's worth even noting. I've been on BITOG for years and still haven't actually seen any proof one way or the other... other than some UOA's. Have we actually found a bad oil? lol. Like I said, my motorcraft only has a TBN of 8.4, which worries me. But then theres the foaming etc [censored] issues that keep coming up. You almost have to wonder if the reason theres aeriatin is b/c the Dipsticks on these 6.0's vary +/- 1.5qt!! I don't think we can say for sure... I like the motorcraft b/c it's cheap and comes in 5qt jugs. 15qt change:)

Last edited:
Toy4x4runner - If you're not going to get all wadded up on the finite intracasies of UOA's, then you're certainly on the right track with picking one of the big three (Delo, Delvac, Rotella) and just being content that you'll not have any problems whatsoever. Find one that's on sale at the time of OCI and be done with it.

Of all the UOAs and threads we see, you're right to call into question just how many lube related failures are posted; to be specific, I can't recall any. Typically a mechanical or system failure might in turn cause the lube to go bad, and then we see some degredation. But overall, today's lubes rock, all around.

I also agree that you'll have no reason for a synthetic in Florida, because you state that 5-7.5k mile OCIs are your intent.

Pick up one of the big three each time you OCI, and don't worry about it. The problems associated with the 6.0L PSD are not going to be solved by choosing any particular engine oil. Only engine romp with cold weather/thick oil would be an issue for some, and you're not in that catagory in FL. My neighbor is running Rotella 10w-30 year round in his '05 PSD. His last UOA came back fine, including the often feared "shear" factor, after 7.5k miles.

Now you have me wondering about the option of running 10-30, but here in FL it's HOT in the summer, I mean hot so that's probly not a good idea for me down here in FL. However I do not tow, only haul light items.

What do you think about running the 15-40 Motorcraft compared to the big 3 (delo, delvac & rotella)?

If it meets the API spec in your application, run it. Pick the oil based on the color jug you like the best. 10W-30 or 5W-40 in the proper API spec in hot weather is fine.

I've seen a lot of talk about mom & pop daily driver 6.0 owner's running 10w-30, but I never gave it much thought until now. Is it true the factory fill for the 6.0 is 10w-30?

I'll probly just stick to 15-40 Motorcraft being it's the cheapest option and meets all specs and it's sold everywhere around me.

...Still not sure What the heck is up with the oil levels being off on the 6.0. 13.5-15.0 qts to refill. weird.

In Florida, the 15w-40 would be a fine choice.

I just think that people overlook the 10w-30 because they consider it somehow not as worthy, but I find that far from the truth. There is a distinct possibility that the lower grade (30) will pump a bit easier, aiding fuel economy. The fears that a 10w-30 will not protect as well as a 40 grade are, in my review of UOA's, unfounded. Grade prejudice runs strong in the HDEO crowds. But for FL, the 15w-40 would likely be easier to find, and a great choice.

You won't see any significant performance differences between any of the four brands mentioned; they are all that good.

At $4.30/gal... MPG gain would be welcomed!! any idea what kind of MPG gains doing the 10-30 vs the 15-40 on a 6.0 setup? What about your neighbor?

Been using either Rotella 15W40 dino or Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 summer here in the 6.0, used 5W40 Premium Blue Extreme last winter to avoid the cold weather "romping" on cold (sub 30 degree F.) starts, the dealer took it upon himself to change it out early & put in 10W30 Motorcraft dino-that didn't work as well as the syn did. Been running 5K OCIs, I'm not paying for the oil (company truck), usually really close to 14 quarts w/filter-the HEUI injection pump can retain excess oil if the motor is not FULLY warmed up-which IMHO is CRITICAL on a diesel oil change anyhow. The factory OCI is 7.5K, I'm just trying to keep the junker out of the shop (company has had vans eat multiple variable vane turbos due to skipped oil changes).

I'm looking into this 10w-30 thing.. I really wonder how the MPG's would be effected. But I did notice according to the PDS's the Rotella 10-30 is not CES20081 or VDS-4 approved but the 15-40 is. Delvac, delo & conoco's 10w-30's are approved for those 2 specs. Makes ya wonder what the heck, why isn't the rotella approved like all the others.

the big deal is the HTHS would be going from 4.3 down to 3.6. and being I'm doing 5k OCI... probly be ok.

Last edited:
It's hard to say what mileage increase can be expected; too many variables.

The reality is that there is some savings to be had. Thinner oils pump easier, which means less power consumed, which means less fuel consumed for every mile driven. My neighbor can't really be a fair comparison, because he's run the 10w-30 year round since he got the truck brand new in 2005. Other than the factory fill, it's not fed any 15w-40. The thinner fluid really quells that HEUI romp on start up. And the UOA's have been quite good, despite the "thinner" fluid.

How much economy would you see? That's debateable. My guess would be a couple percent at best, perhaps?

Whatever it is, it's engouh to convince nearly every major engine/vehicle manufacturer in the last several years to start using thinner fluids. How many 10w-40 statements do you see in the gas powered owner's manuals now days? 5w-20 is becoming quite the norm. I think diesels are just behind the times. The HDEO capability is ahead of the mentality for most diesel owners.

I might give the 10-30 a try this winter. I drive like Hank Hill and haven't towed anything with it ever. Only hauling junk in the bed which aint no big deal. Hopefully someday I'll be buying a 19' boat though... but not right now. I'll start seeiing what 10-30's are around me.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4runner
I might give the 10-30 a try this winter. I drive like Hank Hill and haven't towed anything with it ever. Only hauling junk in the bed which aint no big deal. Hopefully someday I'll be buying a 19' boat though... but not right now. I'll start seeiing what 10-30's are around me.

As long as you don't drive like Boomhauer, then the 10W-30 will be fine.

Awemanwhatztheworl'cumin2whenBoomergetzpickedon?

If you're not hauling anything heavy, or only doing it occasionally, the 10w-30 will be fine.

Last edited:
10-4.... Gonna say all the Tractor trailers & equipment on our construction site are running HD30 Dino napa brand. When the 10-30 warms up... guess what... it's 30wt just the same. and with short OCI's I should be ok.

Originally Posted By: Arkapigdiesel
If it meets the API spec in your application, run it. Pick the oil based on the color jug you like the best. 10W-30 or 5W-40 in the proper API spec in hot weather is fine.

I was traveling in Wyoming when I was due for an oil change. Stopped at Ford in Cheyenne and they put in 10w-30. I was upset because the book says 15w-40 when temps are over 50 and or towing. I was towing a fifth wheel 12,500 lbs. and it was 92 deg.out. I had them change it back to 15w-40, but the dealer said that 10w-30 is all they used in Cheyenne. Doesn't sound right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back