cd-2 oil treatment mixed with mobil one oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone in here tried cd-2 in the gray bottle oil treatment and mixed it with mobil one oil? I hear about mixing mobil one with stp just interested in finding out if cd-2 would be better than stp as a tackifier or just for better lubrication.

I thought bob is the oil guy forum is about asking questions. Not being critized for the questions one asks. Sorry if it bothers you this is sure a big let down. Again sorry you can write and critize me all you want but all i want is just honest questions answered that is all is that asking too much?

I don't think asking a question is too much. If I could I would just use a gun oil on my guns, but I have searched a long time and I have never found a really good gun oil. I kind of think a grease and oil combination or some kind of good grease is the best way to go at least with semi-autos. I have had some good luck with grease and oil combinations.

Maybe gun oils would be better if they actually put some AW/EP additive in them. I am trying Birchwood Casey oil right now and it actually kind of impresses me. It is a synthetic gun oil with PTFE added. The nice thing about oil is it is easy to apply, is easier to clean, and if I could find a truly good gun oil I think I would prefer it to grease. Grease is messy.

If I were you I would try something like Birchwood Casey gun oil or Weapon Shield. I really don't think a motor oil and motor oil additive combined together is a good idea for guns. Somebody put an article by a Grant Cunningham in a post here. Cunningham builds custom revolvers. According to Cunningham motor oil and motor oil/motor oil additive combinations are a bad idea.

I think gun oils would be good if the people who make gun oils would use a good AW/EP additive. If you use an oil you need to be sure to oil the gun before shooting because oil can flow off during extended storage. Birchwood Casey gun oil has stayed on my gun fairly well even after a week.

There are various greases available. Shooter's Choice has a grease. And there are others like wheel bearing grease, Jardine's Custom weapon grease, Wilson Combat, and others.

I am going to give Birchwood Casey gun oil a trial.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have searched a long time and I have never found a really good gun oil.

This is the part I'm having trouble with. Just how "good" does a gun oil have to be? Most guns don't receive enough lubrication, not the wrong kind, or one not "good enough". What is it you are in fact trying to achieve, that you cannot with today's lubricants? A well built firearm is one of the most durable pieces of hardware you can purchase today. Most any oil or grease will keep them operating well beyond your lifetime of owning it, or your grand children for that matter. Everything else is quite meaningless. Bill T.

Bill T, I agree with what you are saying to a large degree. Any decent quality gun oil or gun grease will have adequate lubrication as long as a person actually lubricates the gun. What I have been trying to achieve is the lowest possible level of wear even shooting a lot of rounds.

My old SIG P226 9 mm is several years old and I have fired an unknown number of thousands of rounds in it. It still shoots accurately but if you take the gun apart and look at it there is obvious wear. I could get a new barrel and send the gun to be recoated and maybe it would look almost new.

A Glock has minimal lubrication needs but it DOES need to be lubricated. It has been my experience that there are a lot of people who neglect the lubrication needs of their handguns. I know a woman who probably lubricates her slide rails at best before going out shooting. Her gun is lucky to get that much lubrication. A gun will eventually malfunction with no lubrication.

And there is a lot of misinformation. There are websites that tell people to use exactly five drops of oil to lubricate a Glock. Look at the owner's manual and there are six places listed. In fact the older Glock manuals listed seven places. A Glock armorer on YouTube says to use six drops of oil-maybe a little bit more. Best advise is to follow what it says in the owner's manual.

Now I would prefer to use oil and not grease. There are weapons that require grease in at least one or more places. I happened to find Birchwood Casey oil at a local gun store and decided to give it a try. It stays where it belongs better than some gun oils I could mention. They have Kroil at the same place. Some people have said Kroil is really good for cleaning so I will get some and use it to clean the gun barrel.

A lot of gun oils are just overpriced conventional oil with no real additives. A true gun oil probably should be synthetic so it will operate in cold weather and protect at high temperatures and there is need for some kind of AW/EP additive.

A lot of gun oils I have tried have completely drained off the gun after a week in the holster. The Birchwood Casey oil seems to do reasonably well staying where it was applied.

The main thing is if somebody is using oil they need to be sure to lubricate the gun immediately before shooting. And if you are going to shoot more than fifty rounds you really should try to lubricate at least a few of the areas that need to be lubricated. Being careful and not shooting yourself of course.

The Birchwood Casey oil is the first gun oil I have tried that seems to stay where you apply it fairly well. But I have not actually tried shooting yet with this oil lubricating my gun. It has rained every day here for several days and the range is probably a mud hole.

Originally Posted By: francisco
Has anyone in here tried cd-2 in the gray bottle oil treatment and mixed it with mobil one oil? I hear about mixing mobil one with stp just interested in finding out if cd-2 would be better than stp as a tackifier or just for better lubrication.

francisco,

In Glock world many people have opted to start using Mobil 1 oil for use as a gun lubricant. I believe the heavier weight is what their using but I can't be sure.

This is because one quart of synthetic oil will last forever compared to using a gun lubricant in a much smaller bottle.

This is no big deal as my father used motor oil to clean and lube his carbine during WWII. During those days bore cleaner n' oil was pretty scarce.

Durango

Yes, Breakfree CLP failed me-twice. The two times I used a small amount of Breakfree to lubricate my SIG the gun jammed both times. It caused me some serious problems in a couple of important shoots. The only time I EVER had jamming problems with a gun was when using Breakfree. This is my personal experience and personal observations.

I also have heard a lot of stories about soldiers in the military having problems when Breakfree (whatever they called it in the military) seemed to cause jams. Visit websites like the website for Militec-1 where you can find stories about soldiers having their families send them Militec-1.

An old ex-Marine range instructor told me he did not believe in CLPs. He said you can't have a solvent and a lubricating oil in the same product. Perhaps his point of view is outdated because of modern technology but even some supporters of Breakfree say that cleaning is its weakest area.

All I know from personal experience is that my old SIG would function regardless what I used,grease or oil, except the two times I used Breakfree. Maybe it was just a strange coincidence but everything else worked-Hoppes, TW25B, Formula 3, Tetra gun grease, you name it. The only two times I had problems with jamming were the two times I used Breakfree. Is that just a strange chance occurance or what?

Sorry Mystic but that dog don't hunt.

Sigs need to be very wet and I have thousands upon thousands of rounds downrange on sigs with breakfree and never a problem. Then again sigs require more oil to run compared to other brands and I know how to make them run.

I am a certified sig armorer and I can assure you if your gun doesn't run on Breakfree it is the gun NOT the lube.

I would put very little faith in "ex-marine instructors" or "soldiers having problems". I can point you to the most elite units in the world and the vast majority of the LE tactical comunity in the USA use Breakfree without problems.

That is a good point also. I have heard a lot of former army and marine guys bad mouth the M-16. Fact is the AK-47 just seems to work. It seems to me a military rifle or handgun has to be designed with the knowledge that it might be exposed to mud, rain, snow, jungle humidity, desert dust, etc.

But I was not shooting an M-16/AR-15. I was shooting a SIG. Once is one thing. Twice makes me think about another lubricating oil.

I will grant you milwaukee that I have heard, but don't know this for a fact, that Glock armorers apparently prefer Breakfree.

Now the Glock is a different critter than the SIG and Glocks don't require much lubrication.

And after my bad experiences using Breakfree with my SIG I have to say I have never tried Breakfree with my Glock.

So this is what I will do. I will try both Birchwood Casey oil for one shooting and Breakfree for another. Before shooting with just the Breakfree I will clean the gun using Breakfree.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Sigs need to be very wet and I have thousands upon thousands of rounds downrange on sigs with breakfree and never a problem. Then again sigs require more oil to run compared to other brands and I know how to make them run.

After years of problems with the M-16/M-4/AR-15 platform, they are now saying much the same about them. Run 'em DRIPPING. Bill T.

The problem is you can't run them dripping in Iraq. The soldiers have huge problems with the talcum powder-like dust. In the really terrible conditions the AK-47 and the Glock that requires little lubrication come out looking better.

You put a lot of oil on a weapon in Iraq and the dust will make things really bad. It all turns into an abrasive mix that wears on the weapons and causes malfuntions.

Overall I've never had any issues using any type of CLP as it's always lubricated my AR's well through out the years. However my rifles have never been subjected to dust or any type of battlefield conditions. No mater what you deicde to shoot our main battle rifle is classified as an assualt rifle which dictates high maintenance.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back