Went south

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: c3po
Let me try to give some insight to this, you took the car to a Nissan Dealership if I am correct, this is a Ford product, you could have some Nissan fluid in there, did they change your transmission filter, this sounds like your transmission filter is clogged, I bet you have the felt type transmission filter. I once had a felt type trans filter on my El Camino and it did kind of the same thing, the rpm's went up and it was a delayed shift, I went back to the screen type trans filter. It also sounds like they did not drop the pan, when I did Auto-Rx in my trans I dropped the pan and the bottom of the pan had a layer of metallic sludge. If it were me I would go and get a case or more of Mercon V, drop the pan and if you do not already have 1 get a drain plug put in, I would do this T-Tech thing yourself. A T-Tech is not worth anything without dropping the pan and changing the trans filter. I did the Tranny Calculator thing. I did go through 40 quarts of fluid but I still came out ahead. 40X $2.50 equals $100.00, my opinion is a T-Tech pushes fluid through the pan and out the cooler lines, you are mixing old fluid with new fluid and not really getting all of the old fluid out. If you still want to do a T-Tech you may need to go too a Ford Dealer.

Some very good advise here, if you can't find a T-Tech machine, drop the pan, clean it and install a new filter. Then run the car thru all the gears, either suck out fluid from the filler tube, disconnect a tranny cooler line, or install a drain plug, and flush the fluid manually until its as clean as new. (There is a good procedure for doing it somewhere on this board and can be found with a search). As mentioned this can take several quarts of fluid. Any kind of flush machine is still using the old filter and could possibly be just pushing more junk through the system as it flushes it. I believe the T-Tech machines are good for a transmission that has been properly maintained and is in good working order that has a good filter to begin with. In your case the filter could be clogged. If you do decide to go the T-Tech method get the pan cleaned and a new filter installed!

JMo,
Frank D

I'm not familiar with the trans in the 1998 Lincoln. I'm sure that it's electronically controlled and doesn't have as many traditional hydraulic, pressure dependent, sequencing valves as older models ..probably electric/electronic solenoids.

I would think that there are still pressure points that can measure the pump pressure at various drive selections (D, R, etc.)

Does the thing back up? That's usually the first indicator of true hydraulic/pressure issues since it requires higher pressure.

Tough call on doing another flush.

I'd say that if it drives normally up to a certain speed (however low that may be) then 'runs away' ...you've (possibly) got a clogged screen or some pump relief valve stuck. Either would limit usable fluid flow.

Again, these are swag's.
21.gif

my brother and dad have not complained about reverse. the only complaint is that it will not shift into second, basically stuck in first, and once it reaches 30 or 40mph it starts to free rev. I am making the trip there this sunday. So i'll drop the pan and put a new filter on. I don't feel like going through the trouble of drilling through the pan and threading it. I'll probably just crack the cooler lines and let the fluid drain out from there. I hope it wont be to hard to differetiate between "old" and new fluid being the fluid that's in there is new.

Thank's for all the help everyone.

It looks like the trans shop won't touch it because of liability issue that you will sue them if they don't fix it.

So, looks like it is a DIY.

Logically, any flush that does not changed the filter does not make any sense. It is stated in Auto-RX procedure that filter has to be changed.

Also, I heard that Ford transmission is not the best out there. You may want to check some of the Ford's forum to see what they say.

It states to change the filter if you DIY. If you perform a flush it's not needed.

I just got more info on the flush used at nissan. Seems like a normal flush setup. Sucks the old fluid out while forcing new fluid and takes fluid out the tq convertor. The reason my brother thought he filled it from the tube was cuase he walked in on the mechanic when he was topping it off. According the mechanic no additives were used. Can anyone fully explain to me what the difference between a T Tec machine and for example a machine made by Wynne? I'm not doubting the neccessity for a T Tec, just curious about the difference.

If you perform a flush doing the T-Tech thing you have to change the transmission filter, the problems you are having is exactly what I read on the Amsoil website, basically it said customer gets T-Tech done and then a week later it is shifting terrible, because they did not change the trans filter. It is stated in the instructions for using Auto-Rx in your trans to change the filter. All of the junk Auto-Rx loosened is in your trans filter and on the bottom of your trans pan. I have the screen type trans filter on my Turbo 350 and it did not clog it up, but I think you have the felt type.

This is from there web site (www.t-tec transmission flushing.com)

The Benefits of ATF Exchange are clear with T-Tech
FAST

T-Tech features quick connect hoses and an easy hook-up to the transmission cooling line for a quick start. From hood-up to hood-down, most vehicles can be serviced in 15 minutes or less.
ASSURED

Because the exclusive T-Tech process is powered by the vehicles own pump, the dangers of over or under-pressuring the system are eliminated. Plus, the T-Tech exchange is 100% proportional - for every quart removed, a new quart automatically takes its place - to ensure an accurate fill every time.
SMART AND CONVENIENT

An auto-alignment feature means there is no need to verify fluid flow prior to starting and no possibility of a reverse connection. An auto-bypass safety switch frees the operator for other tasks by sending the unit into bypass mode upon completion of the service. A drain pan feature provides convenient draining of the transmission pan prior to removal or other applications.
COMPLETE

The exclusive T-Tech process exchanges virtually 100% of the vehicle's ATF in a proportional, even exchange. Old transmission fluid is pulled from the most stubborn and difficult-to-reach areas of the transmission system, including the torque converter and cooler.

Firehawk409, I guess I made a mistake, I read the instructions again and it called for a filter change if you did the fluid change yourself. But I would advise you to go to the Amsoil home page website and read what they have to say about transmission flushing machines, I think it is in the transmission fluid section.

okay so I get to my parents this weekend to check everything out. My brother tells me that he actually bought a filter and told the mechanic to change it while doing the flush.

So I pop the hood and pull the dipstick out. It's covered with gray material....i'm sure thats the clutch material. I start it and let it warm up and take it for a spin. It's got plenty of power in 1st gear and holds strong. As soon as it needs to shift into 2nd it's like it pops out of gear and goes to neutral. Park it and check the fluid. Looks like normal tranny fluid.

So it seems that the flush was not done properly due to seeing the [censored] still in there. I did not drop the pan and I doubt I'll be doing anything to the car. My brother has someone who is looking to buy it as is. So not worth messing with it.

Again thanks for all the help everyone. I really wish I could have tried to figure this one out but it isnt my car and I have enough of my own money dumping to do on my fbody.lol

Last edited:
I had the grey colored material too when I did Auto-Rx, but it was on the bottom of the pan attached to my Filtermag. I think maybe when they did the T-Tech they may have disconnected something or you have a bad sensor. Either try the Ford Dealer or AAMCO.

I thought the same exact thing but a buddy of mine already had the computer scanned. showed nothing.

I have to admit it's eating me to not be able to remedy this, but again it's not my car so I'm not investing my money into it. My brother already bought him a brand new frontier so doesnt really care about it either. Maybe if the guy happens back out of buying it I'll ask if my brother wants to split the cost of a new filter and fluid and try flushing it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back