What oil for a motorhome with 8.1L Vortec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, I have a 2005 Class A motorhome with a Chevy 8.1L Vortec in a Workhorse chassis. This vehicle will see mostly trips in the 100 to 300 mile range, but will be sitting most of the time between camping trips. I have no plans to drive it in winter weather. I will probably winterize it and pull the batteries and put them on a Battery Minder in the shop for the winter. So, driving conditions will be the deserts and mountains of Utah and the adjoining states, from about April through October. Temperature ranges will be about 40 degrees to just over 100 degrees F.

What oil would be best for this sort of use? Annual mileage will probably only be a few thousand miles, but there won't be any really short trips either.

Thanks!

Mark N

5w-30 changed every 6 months will do you great.

Temps will be more than just over 100 if you go anywhere in NV during the summer. (I've been too close to 120 degrees many times on my way down 15 or across 80)

Mobil 5000 5w-30 is less than $10 (for now) for 5 qts. Excellent oil for excellent everyday price.

Check with Checkers for oil specials (they have been have less and less over the last few years. With the new owners, they will be gone soon)

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: mnoeltne
As the title says, I have a 2005 Class A motorhome with a Chevy 8.1L Vortec in a Workhorse chassis. This vehicle will see mostly trips in the 100 to 300 mile range, but will be sitting most of the time between camping trips. I have no plans to drive it in winter weather. I will probably winterize it and pull the batteries and put them on a Battery Minder in the shop for the winter. So, driving conditions will be the deserts and mountains of Utah and the adjoining states, from about April through October. Temperature ranges will be about 40 degrees to just over 100 degrees F.

What oil would be best for this sort of use? Annual mileage will probably only be a few thousand miles, but there won't be any really short trips either.

Thanks!

Mark N

As you posted in the HDEO forum...are you interested in gsoline or diesel engine oil?

Last edited:
I'd recommend the Mobil1, 10w-30 HM, which is formulated thick enough to meet the more demanding European, ACEA A3/B4 specs. Their oil filter is decent as well and a step up from an AC Delco.

sounds like lots of hot slow mountain pass pulls.

not the place for a mineral oil

full PAO or ester based synthetics for long engine life. cheap when compared to early engine replacement

either Amsoil or Redline
ATM1G-EA SAE 10W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil

Redline 10w30

another option is Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5w30

less oil boil off volatility with 10w30 syns
less ring coking also from hard pulls

OK, thanks for all the suggestions! It will get driven in the mountains, so yes, I do have to think about that. And while it likely gets well over 100 degrees in parts of Nevada, I hope I won't be there when it does!

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
As you posted in the HDEO forum...are you interested in gsoline or diesel engine oil?

The 8.1L Chevy Vortec is a gasoline engine that is used in many Chevy and GMC 2500 and 3500 series trucks, plus lots of other places like motorhomes, so whatever oil is appropriate for that.

Mark N

Last edited:
No emissions, right?

Id look to go with a 0w-30, 10w-30, 5w-40 HDEO.

Change it once a year and youll be fine.

Id also consider schaeffer's 10w-30 and amsoil ACD 10w-30/30.

JMH

does it have a Oil life monitor? If so when it gets to 20% change out with a name brand conventional at the recommended weight and you will be fine. BTW I drove a 2003 6L Silverado 2500HD towing a 7000 lb trailer for 3 years and never had the first problem.

Originally Posted By: Steelhead
sounds like lots of hot slow mountain pass pulls.

not the place for a mineral oil

Just think of all the semi trucks going down the road with mineral oil... Good thing they rebuild every couple of miles.

Also, I've got a 78 F250 4x4 with a 351 in it that has seen mostly 10-30 QS for 200k now and it runs like new.

We take it off road, tow with it hay, wood and such over very steep grades and it is fine.

Mineral oil works. Esp todays oils.

Bill

Originally Posted By: mnoeltne
OK, thanks for all the suggestions! It will get driven in the mountains, so yes, I do have to think about that. And while it likely gets well over 100 degrees in parts of Nevada, I hope I won't be there when it does!

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

The 8.1L Chevy Vortec is a gasoline engine that is used in many Chevy and GMC 2500 and 3500 series trucks, plus lots of other places like motorhomes, so whatever oil is appropriate for that.

Mark N

If it were mine, I would use a 10W30 HDEO...most brands would be great . Second choice would be a 5W40 HDEO.
0W30 HDEO would be another choice as well....tough to find though.

5w30 does everything a 10w30 does and it even flows better in the colder climate colder i mean under 60 degrees.. gm recommends 5w30 in most of their gas engines dino will be fine i use pennzoil 5w30 in our chevy work vans and they all go over 200,000 miles before we trade them.. we have 2 chevys and 3 ford vans the fords we use motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic w/a motorcraft filter and one 2002 just turned 244,000 on the original motor and the chevys 5w30 pennzoil.. with todays oils and bearing clearances thin is in.. years ago it was 10w40 and 20w50 those days are gone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back