J-D 0W-40 Semi-Syn. (24 HP Yanmar Diesel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I had Blackstone do a VOA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1062417#Post1062417 on this oil, and, now I've had a chance to get some hours (about 75) on the J-D "Supreme Plus 50" OW-40 semi-synthetic I've begun using in my X595 http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalo...=SKU20474&tM=HO mower. According to the MSDS sheets, the OW-40 is made by XOM in Canada.

The unit is a 24 HP Yanmar 3 cyl diesel; has 250 hrs on it; a Wix/NAPA 1365 filter was on there for this run. I changed the oil at 75 Hrs, a month or so shy of 1 year's use, even though I could have run it a bit longer, because I'd never used the J-D 0W-40 stuff before, and wanted to be sure. Prior to this, it had been RTS 5-40, which worked well, per usual.

The silicon content is high, which bothers me, because I recently installed new primary and secondary air filters. Maybe I didn't get them in there properly, so I have to check that out. You have to scrunch your hand down in there to get the filter in and can't get your head in to see for sure if it's seated properly. Unless you take the hood off, that is.
frown.gif

Anyway, on to the UOA:
RON: Engine wear appears normal at 250 hours. Universal averages show normal wear from the Yanmar 3-cylinder after about 85 hours (weird - it says 75 on their form) use on the oil. All of the wear metals read around averages for this type diesel indicating normal wearing parts and careful operation of this vehicle. Silicon at 22 ppm may be an anti-foaming additive in this brand/type of oil. It can also come from silicone lube used on the oil filter gasket or it's from dirt escaping past the air filter. The TBN was 7.4, showing loads of active additive left. 1.0 is too low a reading. Nice wearing Yanmar!
UOA #1

MI/HR ON OIL:75 Hrs
MI/HR ON UNIT: 250
DATE:7-30-08

ALUMINUM: 2
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 10
COPPER: 3
LEAD: 2
TIN: 0
MOLY: 96
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 1
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 2
BORON: 122
SILICON: 22
SODIUM: 2
CALCIUM: 2836
MAGNESIUM: 274
PHOSPHOROUS: 1350
ZINC: 1760
BARIUM: 0

SUS VISC. @210F: 71.7
Cst Visc. @100C: 13.4
Flashpoint:410
Fuel %: —–
Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.5
TBN: 7.4
TAN:
ISO Code:

Love those Zinc/Phosphorous numbers!! I'm a high-ZDDP'er.
smirk2.gif

It sheared down a little bit, but I think this oil held its own in your mower. FWIW I would resolve the silicon issue and push this oil out to 100 hours/1 year. I too like the add pack in this oil. What were Blackstones universal averages for

Iron
Aluminum
Lead
Copper

in this Yanmar?

Can you say fortified...I knew you could! That's a few hundred more ppm than Amsoil AME's VOA...as I said before I like the looks of the add pack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pickled
FYI- I bumped up both of the VOA's so we wouldn't have to dig. I wonder what the base oil "blend" is in this product??

I know in Canada it is an Esso base...most likely XD3 platform. The JD bottles from Canada have the Three Star trademark, and that is Esso in Canada. I'm not sure what it is in the US.

pickled - See below
Quote:
What were Blackstones universal averages for

Iron 14
Aluminum 3
Lead 1
Copper 2

in this Yanmar?

Quote:
I'd say you'll get many more years out of your Yanmar.

Once I figure out that high Silicon issue!!
frown.gif

That's really a strange one - the thing has two air filters, and, with all the rain we've had this year, there's almost no dust. If I can ever get a few minutes, I've gotta' get in that air filter compartment and dig around.

Take your shop vac with you and clean around that bad boy before you crack it open. Sounds like you might have a leak somewhere else...check around the typical air intake points with an ether based leak detector (LOL) can of starting fluid.

Quote:
Take your shop vac with you and clean around that bad boy before you crack it open. Sounds like you might have a leak somewhere else...check around the typical air intake points with an ether based leak detector (LOL) can of starting fluid.

I dug around in there on Saturday, and I think the primary filter may not have been seated properly. Everything else checked out fine.
27.gif
That thing is a bugger to get at unless you remove the hood.
frown.gif

I was sorely temped when I saw this oil at my local JD dealer. It's pricey, though! This is the first time I've seen a UOA on it. Thanks for posting!

Well I hope that you did find the root cause to this silicon invasion. Being an oil analysis sleuth can be a frustrating business at times. How much is this oil selling for these days?? I have a JD equipment dealer about 20 miles down the road from me, but haven't stopped in in a long time.

Hi pickled -
If memory serves, 15 Gal. cost $267.00, or $4.45/qt(!!), during that dealer's (Wineland Equipment - Martinsburg, PA) annual lube/filter sale last January.

Just checked with a local J-D guy - not the one I bought the 15 gal from; it's about $5.45/qt at his place, in quart quantities. He doesn't stock the 5 gal containers. He also doesn't have an annual sale.
frown.gif

For those prices, it certainly SHOULD be a top-quality oil!!

I think I found the cause - the primary filter wasn't seated completely. I'll do a sample in 20 hrs or so and see if the silicon problem is still there.

Good deal...sample should tell you everything you need to know. Wow it's going to be tough to find a good syn based oil for under $20/gallon for the diesel crowd. Inflation sucks, but hey you hedged and got a "stash" going...good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back