NAPA Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by my NAPA dealer that there NAPA conventional motor oil is actually Valvoline. If this is true that seems to be the cheapest way buy Valvoline. Hopefully it is the very same oil that goes into the Valvoline bottles.

No offense Lazaro, but what does this have to do with the OP's question? Cuda
welcome2.gif
to BITOG and yes Ashland does supply Napa oil. It is an affordable conventional oil for sure, but if you read around this site you will see there are many alternatives to the 3,000 mile cheap fill. Good luck!

Last edited:
With the advent of SM/GF-4, the "cheap fill" is capable of a minimum 5,000 miles or 6 months, and likely longer under good operating conditions.

I was speaking of the "mentality" Drew...sorry for the lack of clarification. People who change oil at 3,000 intervals in many situations are losing cash not protection of the engine.

Originally Posted By: Cuda
I was told by my NAPA dealer that there NAPA conventional motor oil is actually Valvoline. If this is true that seems to be the cheapest way buy Valvoline. Hopefully it is the very same oil that goes into the Valvoline bottles.

welcome2.gif

I'd bet it's close enough to not make hardly a difference. Most people say the house brands have ever so slightly less of an additive package, but there was a recent UOA posted here of Carquest oil - same thing made by Ashland, and it was just fine - looked like the exact same Valvoline Premium Conventional additive package, the viscosity held up fine, and the TBN was good for at least 5,000 miles.

You can get the stuff at NAPA for $.99/quart regularly, so I'd stock up. I'm planning to!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: lazaro
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/13/master-mechanics-vote-for-3-000-mile-oil-change-interval/
Huh?

So then, I have been running NAPA brand oil in my 07 Grand Cherokee 3.7 and girlfriends 03 Grand Am 2.2 (with a proselect filter)....with 3,500 to 4,000 OCI's.

Are there any opinions on whether this oil is decent/adequate for those applications. If its not adequate, am I any better using actual Valvoline...or is the NAPA brand basically exactly the same..

According to Drew99GT and what the NAPA dealer told me it is exactly the same. It is what I have been using in my 04 grand Cherokee overland 4.7 H.O. since it was new. Like I say its a cheap way to buy Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: jediwebmstr
So then, I have been running NAPA brand oil in my 07 Grand Cherokee 3.7 and girlfriends 03 Grand Am 2.2 (with a proselect filter)....with 3,500 to 4,000 OCI's.

Are there any opinions on whether this oil is decent/adequate for those applications. If its not adequate, am I any better using actual Valvoline...or is the NAPA brand basically exactly the same..

It's totally fine. You're not going to gain anything but maybe piece of mind using a brand name oil IMO. I get piece of mind by saving a few bucks while getting equal engine protection.

There's a mechanic on another board I frequent with a mid 90s Chevy truck with the 5.0L V-8 that has 300,000+ miles on it and he claims to have used nothing but Napa oil in bulk drums (same stuff he uses for customers), and when he tore the engine down to replace gaskets and such, it was spotless with hardly any visible engine wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back