Is Anyone Using Elf Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It (Elf) is kind of hard to come by here in the states (even MORE effort involved than Motul!).

That being said, there is one local 'tuner' place that actually stocks some of the Elf line on the shelf, but not the highest performance/racing variants.

I used Elf 5w40 NX or NLX, in my 01 Saab 9-3 SE, check for the UOA section for my analysis. It did pretty good in this engine. I was happy with the oil, its a little on the pricey side, not as bad a Motul though. If my next UOA of motul does not do much better than the elf, I might switch back. I have my eye on some Redline for next summer as I can get it for much cheaper than elf or motul.

Last edited:
Why Elf? Just because it's hard to get? The old F1 name? It's not particularly popular here and it's availiable.

Popular here too, but only a few car part stores carry it.
Fina (also a Total brand) First is now the cheapest synthetic oil available here at USD 9.3 / liter.

I have been using Elf/Total oils in my two Saabs for about a year now. Total Quartz Energy 5W/40 in my 2000 9-5 with 230,000 miles (370,000Km) and the Quartz Energy 0W/30 in the 2006 9-3SC.

Remarkably, I can buy this oil at import auto part stores in the Detroit area for less than the cost of Mobil-1 at the Discount stores! I pay less than $6USD/litre for the 5W40 and approx $6USD/litre for the 0W/30.

I had Blackstone Labs do an analysis for me on the oil drained from my 9-5 earlier this summer. It held up great for the 5700 miles of use. I would post the results but I can't figure out how to do so, even after reading the detailed instructions.

Elf is now being advertised (a fairly good deal lately) as TOTAL in North America.
It seems like it's good stuff, we started using it at work (we service BMW cars and are known for our BMW parts, race engines and prep services)

No analysis yet, but plenty smooth quiet, running BMWs and track cars.

Originally Posted By: Sbailey294
Elf is now being advertised (a fairly good deal lately) as TOTAL in North America.
It seems like it's good stuff, we started using it at work (we service BMW cars and are known for our BMW parts, race engines and prep services)

No analysis yet, but plenty smooth quiet, running BMWs and track cars.

The marketing director of Total/Elf told me they are slowly swapping the Elf name over to the Total brand name in the USA for cars. Elf will likley remain in the motorcycle and racing circles.

Feff

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
I prefer the Elf name, wish they stuck with it, I know its just a name... oh well.

I think the Elf name will stay with the motorcycle products and their HTX line of products. Total will be the brand for their everyday auto products including their synthetic products like the Quartz 9000.

Feff

Last edited:
There is really only one Elf oil, but that is another story...
wink.gif

I once nonchalantly bought the Evolution SXR 5w 30. Car felt so fluent overall that I ended up downloading its specs. It is thin but my v6 Chevrolet likes the thin oils. I'm now on the 0w 30 Castrol. It feels better the first 20kms but my car thinks it is overcorrective for high temps. Problem is, it'll shear down a little...

Next will be 0w 30 Mobil or Elf for a re-try. My first 0w, the Castrol convinced on the 0w thing even if the weather is very temperate.

One problem with Castrol is, there are many versions so it is hard to know what are you actually getting. My SLX was blended by BP petroleum under licence from Castrol Limited UK. When I wanted the same the closest was Castrol Edge with different colors. Elves known to have capricious nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back