Whoops! What Happens if...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I can probably even manage to get back on here, eat crow, and digitally grovel at Mola and Johnny's feet.

No need to grovel on my account.

Given the age of the tractor, as you said, it may be well left alone.

I was basing my recommendations on a full 3 quarts of Gear Lube out of 24, which would have been 3/24 or 1/8, which would = 12.5% of the total mix.

And gear lubes do have more S-P which would add to the already THF dose of about abougt 0.12%.

Good luck Jim and I hope it holds up well.

Quote:
MolaKule: I was basing my recommendations on a full 3 quarts of Gear Lube out of 24, which would have been 3/24 or 1/8, which would = 12.5% of the total mix. And gear lubes do have more S-P which would add to the already THF dose of about abougt 0.12%.

Good luck Jim and I hope it holds up well.

AHA! Now I see where you are coming from, Mola!

You are calculating using the incorrect unit of measure... it's a 24 GALLON capacity system, not 24 QUART. It's a BIG tractor! 24 gallons is 96 quarts, so at 3 quarts, the gear oil is only 3.125 percent of the total. I would have to add 11.5 quarts of gear oil to get up to 12 percent. The S-P in three quarts is probably just a invigorating refreshment of the existing additive package and probably just counters the dilution from the 4-5 quarts of clean ATF that went in there too.

OK, makes sense now. When you said that it cost upwards of $250 for a complete refill I was going
crazy2.gif
since even the higher tier UTF's here are around $35/5 gal.

Yes I did misread your original post as it does say 24 GALLONS not quarts, my bad.
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
Well, with 9389 posts, practicing your BITOG version of "Weshecatweloo keweshelawaypa," this isn't very much bad!

I agree with the consensus here... I wouldn't think twice about running the tractor as/is.

I know of several application in construction equipment that can run either gear oil or hydraulic oil. I've seen them mixed and/or swapped plenty of times... never seen it cause a problem.

There are also lots of applications that use motor oil in hydraulic systems. Seems to work just fine.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
jim, what kind of tractor is it? i saw mention of hy-tran, so i'm thinking you got an old I-H?

You got it! It's a Farmall 826D.

sorry for bringing this old topic back up, but what did you end up doing jim? i'm 99% certain you didn't have anything to worry about, but a dairy farmer friend of mine is looking at a $5,000 transmission overhaul on an allis chalmers 6080 for a mistake similar to yours.

Tell us what happened with the A-C 6080. Graphic detail please? I'd be happy to discover another mistake to avoid without having to actually make it myself!

As for me, the fluid's still in there! No problems at all. I'm scheduled to change it out this year but I may not because I've had so much leakage. I dumped in six gallons (about 27 percent new fluid) last season due to a hydraulic leak (not including the gallon of the suspect mix), so I've freshened it up quite a bit. I'll finally be fixing the hydraulic leak as soon as it warms up, which will be me another partial change and if I replace the filter too, that's another 40 percent change, so basically, I'll have a nearly 70 percent change. As I write this, I've made up my mind. I may as well just call that good because I was changing more by time than hours anyway.

i suspect the wrong grade/type of fluid was used on a total fluid change out. it took some time and hours, but the damage was done. i don't think that model of A/C had the strongest transmission in it to start with. a good haying tractor but not so good for heavy tillage work. hasn't been repaired yet, money's pretty tight right now.

I welded for a friend the arms [what ever they are called]for the loader on an old Ford tractor. The tractor is old and he is [which I would do] milking the tractor for all the life he can get out of it as tractors are expensive to replace.

I welded for a friend the arms [what ever they are called]for the loader on an old Ford tractor. The tractor is old and he is [which I would do] milking the tractor for all the life he can get out of it as tractors are expensive to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back