2001 Camry - Misfire code = new ecu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would hate to see a friend get ripped offed or fooled into this so I am asking here in case any Toyota techs or enthusiasts can share some insight.
Friend's 2001 Camry 4-cyl started hesitating while driving and then just stalled and won't start. CEL is ON and DTC P0300 (random misfire) is set. Car was towed to dealer. Dealer says will need to replace ECU, all 4 injectors and plugs. Bill = $3500.

Does that make any sense to you ? Is this possible ? Maybe it is an issue on those models, but I just want to check/confirm.
Thanks!

When in doubt, replace all spark plugs first and see if it solves the problem. Make sure that it's being serviced with NGKs and nothing else.

I would not casually throw in the towel (and have dealer replace ECU and fuel injectors) before I eliminate all possible problems by process of elimination.

Also: you may consider asking for vehicle servicing history: e.g. when was the last time the vehicle has been serviced, if so, what has been done? replaced? etc.

Q.

pretty average - 84k.
car's been serviced at (another) dealer regularly. this dealer was closest to where it stalled so it was towed to there.

Does this have a distributor? If so, I'd look into plugs, cap, rotor, wires first.

Then perhaps the ignitor since those are known to go.

The ECU and injectors would be the last thing I'd go for.

Seems like a lot of expensive guessing.

Does he have spark?

Do you have a NOID light where you can test for injector pulses?

I've heard on some models that the ecu grounds the injectors for starting, but never damaging injectors.

I did seem to get an impression that the dealer was suggesting that the ECU ruined the injectors, but wouldn't that mean there would have been a dramatic change in gas mileage first for a while ? Either a big loss (running rich all the time) or gain (running lean all the time) ? I asked that and was told that was not the case. However, if that is true, it could also mean that the A/F or O2 sensor could be shot.

But what perplexes me is that if there are such severe problems (ECU, injectors, etc..) it would throw some other code as well. But only P0300...that is what doesn't quite convince me its all those things, all together.

Oh the dealer also suggested replacing the EGR valve.

P0300 can often be caused by a vacuum leak. A severe enough vacuum leak would stall the engine out.

I'd expect that the ECU would be complaining about the injector circuit if the injectors or drivers were bad (open circuit).

If the ECU "fried" the injectors, they'd be open circuit and there is this nice test device called a multimeter that can check them. I hear they cost $3.99 at Harbor Freight, just in case the dealer doesn't have one...

He is getting HOSED. It is HIGHLY unlikely the injectors are damaged. And the price for that replacement is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Yea, reconditioned (cleaned/flow tested) injectors are about $30 each. Dunno how much new ones cost, typically around $60 or so.

No way in [censored] should an ECU cost that much, the one for my Saab 93 is about $650 and that's an expensive one.

You'd be surprised, some Honda ECU's can be extraordinarily expensive. The ones in my car are well over $1,000 if I remember right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
You'd be surprised, some Honda ECU's can be extraordinarily expensive. The ones in my car are well over $1,000 if I remember right.

I can grab one at the wreckers for $100
grin2.gif

oops..didn't realize I had not switched to the other forum.
If a mod wants to move it then please do.

$3500 seems high to me. How many miles on this car? Looks like ECU for that car can be from $1000 to $1400 internet price depending on engine, tranny, and if its a 50 state emission car. Thats a chunk of change. If it was me I would be looking around the junk yards and see what they are going for. I find it hard to believe all the injectors and the ECU are bad at the same time.

Welcome to the world of import parts prices. I would go to an independent shop. The dealer seems like they're trying to throw parts at it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Come to think of it, that is the company that charges $250 for an oxygen sensor so that sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back