Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

Originally Posted By: jmsbntz
Originally Posted By: harry j
BTW, I have decided, based on 6 UOAs, to change the EAO every oil change. The ISO oil cleanliness code jumped 2 or 3 numbers when I left the used filter in place, for example 17/17/14 vs 15/15/12 with a clean one.

Have all 6 UOAs been done at about 3k and are you going to share the results? It would be interesting to see the trending even though your engine has had some fuel/coolant issues.

Yes, all UOA's have been done at close to the 3,000 mile mark. I will get the information together and post them as soon as I get a chance.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Did you ever get the antifreeze leak fixed? If the leak was so minor that you never notice the level go down then the coolant tabs or a big bottle of liquid barsleak should have taken care of it. I have seen that stuff eliminate some serious leaks before.

So far, I have resisted adding anything to the antifreeze. The coolant level has not changed at all, so I am thinking that it could be a residual left over from a recent head gasket failure. I am going to moniter the situation and see if perhaps the potassium level starts to dimish with subsequent OC's.

Here is the averages for 17,000 miles

Aluminum------2
Chromium------1
Iron----------7
Copper--------2
Lead----------0
Tin-----------1
Molybdenum----2
Nickel--------0
Manganese-----0
Silver--------0
Titanium------0
Potassium-----43
Boron---------8
Silicon-------8
Sodium--------8
Calcium-------3782
Magnesium-----13
Phosphorus----679
Zinc----------785
Barium--------0

Last edited:
Here's all 5 Uoas;

Miles 235,025-- 238,127-- 241,134 -- 245,629 -- 249,006
Aluminum----2-------3---------3----------2---------2
Chromium----1-------1---------1----------1---------3
Iron--------6-------7---------7----------6---------8
Copper------1-------1---------1----------2---------3
Lead--------0-------0---------0----------1---------1
Tin---------1-------0---------0----------1---------1
Molybdenum--2-------3---------3----------2---------2
Nickel------0-------0---------0----------0---------0
Manganese---0-------0---------0----------0---------0
Silver------0-------0---------0----------0---------0
Titanium----0-------0---------0----------0---------0
Potassium---45------53--------48---------27--------44
Boron-------8-------10--------8----------8---------7
Silicon-----13------5---------3----------14--------6
Sodium------8-------10--------8----------6---------8
Calcium-----3468----3889------3893-------3794------3867
Magnesium---12------15--------12---------14--------14
Phosphorus--644-----702-------705--------651-------695
Zinc--------721-----846-------746--------781-------830
Barium------0-------0---------0----------1---------1

SUS Viscosity-55.1---56.8-----56.5-------57.2------57.7
cSt Viscosity-8.81---9.31-----9.21-------9.41------9.56
Flashpoint----355----425------345--------385-------370
Fuel%--------.5------ Antifreeze----?--------?-------?----------?---------?
Water%--------0--------0-------0----------0----------0
Insolubles%--.2-------.4------.2---------.3---------.4
TBN----------7.5-------6.5----6.5--------9.7--------8.9
ISO Code--16/15/12--18/17/15--17/17/14--15/15/12--17/16/14

Last edited:
Quote:
cSt Viscosity-8.81---9.31-----9.21-------9.41------9.56
Flashpoint----355----425------345--------385-------370

Fuel dilution is impacting the viscosity. Do you plain on running it longer? Tbn is strong. For 3k mile drains, I think any cheap 5w20 could handle it.

buster, yes, I plan to run it a bit longer. The last run was almost 3,400 miles. I want to try 4,000 to see how things look and then go from there. I am very please with the SSO's performance and will probably stick with it. What do you think about the new Amsoil racing oils? It would be interesting to see a UOA using one of them.

Quote:
What do you think about the new Amsoil racing oils?

I'm sure they are very good.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I'm not an expert on ISO codes, but all of those results appear to be very clean, filter reuse or not.

Yeah Tempest, it's the EAO filter, totally awesome! If you can get past the cost of this superb filter, it beats any filter now available by a wide margin. Unless something comes along that's better, I will not even consider putting any other filter in my Civic.

I'm thinking that the EAO specs can be improved on if they use more nano fiber material. I would love to see, say, a 12,000 mile filter that allows good oil flow and cleans even better than the present EAO.

I think buster went 27K miles on one over several OCI. All the UOAs came back good. I've got around 15K on mine with 3 OCI...forgot the actual number...
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I think buster went 27K miles on one over several OCI. All the UOAs came back good. I've got around 15K on mine with 3 OCI...forgot the actual number...
blush.gif

Tempest, went 3 OCI's on one EAO filter. While the wear metals were very low, the ISO code showed an increase of contaminents for the second OCI and slightly less for the third one. I wish now that I had gone a fourth to see if the contaminent level continued to drop. I have decided, based on the UOA reports, to change the filter with every oil change.

I don't know, the M1 filters seem to be doing as good or better than the Amsoil Eao filters.

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't know, the M1 filters seem to be doing as good or better than the Amsoil Eao filters.

Interesting buster, I just might try one to see how the UOA compares.

Harry look at the uoa numbers ,look at the TBN you are draining good oil. You are defeating what Amsoil is pushing with their oil . Longer oil drains. try 10,000 miles. You are not gaining a thing by using Syn oil.

Originally Posted By: harry j

Interesting buster, I just might try one to see how the UOA compares.
You will not notice any difference unless "maybe" you increase the oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Harry look at the uoa numbers ,look at the TBN you are draining good oil. You are defeating what Amsoil is pushing with their oil . Longer oil drains. try 10,000 miles. You are not gaining a thing by using Syn oil.

Steve,
Now with over 251,000 miles on my Civic, I am very pleased with the SSO's performance. Before going to the Amsoil lubricants, I used to use Castrol 5W-30 GTX. My understanding at that time was that this was one of the best oils available. I averaged around 34 MPG and usually saw 38 MPG on the HWY. I thought that this was pretty good. The engine consumed a quart every 3,000 miles also considered very good. I was constantly cleaning a rather large black soot mark from my rear bumper.

Now after using the 0W-30 Amsoil, my HWY mileage went up to over 45 MPG, dark bumper smudge is gone and the engine runs noticibly better. It may be advisable to change an oil on a newer engine at 10,000 miles or more, but given that I would like to keep my Civic for long time and during that time perserve the performance that I am accustomed to, I will change my oil, using the best oil I can find, at more than the going intervals.TBN can be considered a limiting factor for those that go a long time on an oil, but for me, it is just an interesting statistic. I am concerned with low wear metals and engine longevity. As long as there is something I can do to limit the liquid sandpaper running around my engine, I am there. The SSO with the EAO20 is the ticket!

I'm afraid Steve S is right, you are just wasting your money. It's not doing anything for you any other oil wouldn't. SSO is a super "LONG DRAIN" oil.

The only thing that "may" have caused an increase in mpg is the synthetic chemistry of the SSO slowly cleaned out existing deposits and sludge that may or may not have been built up in your engine. Any good synthetic will do the same.

I'm afraid Steve S is right, you are just wasting your money. It's not doing anything for you any other oil wouldn't. SSO is a super "LONG DRAIN" oil.

The only thing that "may" have caused an increase in mpg is the synthetic chemistry of the SSO slowly cleaned out existing deposits and sludge that may or may not have been built up in your engine. Any good synthetic will do the same.

I think you're right about the sludge. It accumulated despite using a quality dino oil and 3,000 mile oil and filter changes. I don't want to go back to that.
I suppose I could stretch out the OCI a bit, but I enjoy getting under the car to among other things, applying rubber perservative to all the rubber under the car, polishing the suspension pieces and other showroom activities. So for now, I will continue to go on "wasting" the SSO and ATF.

Harry:

Not to be rude, but SEVEN MPG gain with nothing more than an oil change? I'm not buying it.

The black on your bumper is from the vehicle running rich. If it's gone, this means you are no longer running rich. THIS would likely be the cause of your 7MPG discrepancy.

I have no doubt that the 7MPG variance occurred. Rather my doubt, and quite franky, complete disbelief stems from the fact that you are attributing this to the oil, which is impossible.

Maybe you had a poor connection at the O2 sensor(s) which has since rectified itself perhaps? This sounds far more likely.......

Back