Oil for 2004 Jetta (2.0L Engine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to Amsoil's website and looked up the car under the "Product Application Guide," and was shocked to find out that the recommended oil was 5W-40!

I guess that VW may have changed their oil recommendations since the Passat sludge problem I guess, but I've always believed that this engine used 5W-30. I'm trying to steer a friend in the right direction, as far as using the correct grade of synthetic oil. I was thinking M1 5W-30, but perhaps not?

I need to know immediately, otherwise he'll bring his car into VW on Monday.

Please help.

Michael

Just checked.

Mobil 1's website says use 0W-40. Strangely, Castrol's selector suggests using Castrol 5W-30 dino, but also suggests using Syntec 5W-40. I'll go check Pennzoil, Valvoline, and Quaker State's websites.

Delvac-1 5W-40 or M1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 sounds very appropriate. The 2.0 likes a SAE 40 viscosity generally, and synthetic is mandatory for the potential sludging and consumption issues.

Your friend must use a VW 502.00 approved oil to maintain his/her warranty.

I can send you the 502.00 approval list tomorrow if you need it.

wavinwayne- that'd be great. Thanks

This is what I can’t figure out. The dealer does oil/filter changes with conventional motor oil (Castrol) for $30. They must be using 5W-30. In addition, I have another friend who has a 2003 Jetta with the same engine, manual calls for 5W-30.

So could VW have possibly changed the oil recommendations (same way Ford started recommending 5W-20 for all vehicles) for all cars after the Passat sludge problem? Or is dino 5W-30 acceptable, but synthetic 5W-40 recommended?

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Your friend must use a VW 502.00 approved oil to maintain his/her warranty

are you sure about this?
I thought any SL rated oil in the right temp range would meet warranty requirements?

I used to have a 96 Golf with the 2.0L and I remember it saying 5W30.

These are fairly stout motors that will go many miles with just plaine jane 5W30's(which nowadays are excellent).

The MKIV manuals recommend 5w-40, but say that 5w-30 can be used if 5w-40 is not available.

The list of approved oils that wavinwayne mentioned only applies to Passats and A4s (with the longitudinal 1.8T). None of the MKIVs, including the Jetta/Golf/Beetle/TT (with the transverse 1.8T) are required to use a VW 502.00 approved oil to maintain the warranty. These engine, because of the slightly larger sump than with the longitudinal version are supposedly not as prone to sludging as the longitudinal 1.8T. This doesn't mean that it would become a requirement in the future, but as of now, it's not. You can use any SL-rated 5w-40 or 5w-30 without any fears of voiding the warranty.

Gary

It all depends on the wording in the owners manual. At some point in or around 2004, I have been informed that VW removed the SL option from SOME owners manuals & now calls for a 502.00 approved oil ONLY. I don't know if this ONLY applies to Passats & A4's.

I have another question for everyone:

What is the longest allowed service interval under warranty? I've heard some rumors that it is every 5,000 miles max, whereas sometimes, I've heard that it is every 10,000 miles maximum.

Thanks

Michael

WavinWayne- Thanks.

However, the manufacturer's recommended OCI for the 2.0L engine is actually the following:

5,000- first service
10,000- second service
20,000- third service

So actually wavinwayne, its every 5K for the first two services, but thereafter, it is every 10K. It is only every 5K for the VW 1.8T engine.

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
WavinWayne- Thanks.

However, the manufacturer's recommended OCI for the 2.0L engine is actually the following:

5,000- first service
10,000- second service
20,000- third service

So actually wavinwayne, its every 5K for the first two services, but thereafter, it is every 10K. It is only every 5K for the VW 1.8T engine.

Michael

Michael,
You are soooooo right! I just re-read the maintenance schedules & the 2.0L does spec. a 10k OCI.
shocked.gif

I guess this is no big deal, though, as long as a VW 502.00 approved synthetic oil is used & the engine doesn't have any coolant or fuel getting into the oil.

i have two vw bettles. one is a 2003 2.0 gas eng vw says to use 5w40 as 1st choice / 5w30 as sec choice.i use mobil 1 0w40 in it. it meets spec 502/505.the other is a 2000 tdi diesel & again vw say to use 5w40 1st /5w30 sec & oil spec 505. i use mobil devac 1 5w40 in it. i do 5000 mile oil change on both cars.we all drive under server service. the oil is the cheapest thing that i can buy for my cars. parts cost a lot more so i will keep useing the best oil & filters that i can buy. i do use all vw filters. well this is just my 2 cents worth. i hope that it helps some one.
patriot.gif

The 10,000 mile thing is a service interval with oil change and other services. If you read the oil section in the manual, it says if: drive mostly stop and go, cold weather and stuff, then the oil should be changed more often. The oil section can get a bit confusing, you have to read it carefully. I think in 04 they say use synthetic only for all engines. My 02 Jetta manual says use a synthetic or petroleum 5W-40 oil, 5w-30 may be used if 5W-40 is not available. Also mentions that these designations should appear on the oil container singly or in combination with other designations: API SJ, VW 500/501/502, ACEA A2 or A3. If you can't find 5W-40 or 5W-30 use any oil suitable for your climate meeting the above specs. I guess you can go 10,000 miles on a oil change but good idea to do oil analysis.

As for oil choice I would not choose Mobil 1 5W-30, I used that before and it consumes more oil than others. Since you want to choose a synthetic, I would choose Mobil 1 0W-40, Mobil 1 5W-40, Castrol Syntec 0W-30, Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 and maybe Shell Rotella 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back