I think I finally found the gun lubricants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have finally found good cleaning stuff and good lubricants for my guns. It has been a long time since I used Kleen Bore but I have decided to go back to using their products. And also I am going to use Blue Wonder just in the barrel.

The Kleen Bore Formula 3 seems to clean a gun just fine. And it can be used as a lubricant as well. But the TW25B lubricant is great. It is a grease like stuff but it seems to work great on the slides and reduce carbon build up in the barrel. And I like the clean bore cleaning tools.

Blue Wonder is great stuff. It is expensive so I am going to use it only to clean gun barrels. I ordered it online and then discovered a gun shop locally where a guy sells it. But he is going out of business this month. So I am going to make the Blue Wonder last as long as possible just cleaning the barrel every few cleanings. The Formula 3 works good enough for just a standard cleaning.

I am very impressed with the TW25B. A guy did some testing and put his results on the internet. The testing he did was just to find out about protection abilities. The TW25B which is a pretty safe product was among the best. Other products ahead of it often contained stuff like clorinated lubricants that I want to stay away from. They can cause cancer. And one product that a lot of guys brag about was a farce.

I don't know if the TW25B would be okay for the soldiers in Iraq, however. It might attract dust in a dusty environment. But for me it is great. The Blue Wonder would work really good on those M-16s.

Mystic, over the last 2 months I have gone to countless gun forums and have done tons of reading and reasearch on gun oil and solvents. I also found most folks "in the know" are using TW25B and FP-10. TW25B is made in a grease and oil forms and is made by Mil-Comm and Kleen Bore is a distributor for it. It performs extreemly good in desert and artic conditions and is probibly the single best gun oil on the market of anti wear and preservation. FP-10 which is also sold under the Shooters Choice name is also right up there with the best.

As far as cleaning don't use TW25B or other oil. Use a dedicated solvent for that and you will get much better results. I moved away form Hoppes, Outers types and to a product called M-PRO7(www.mpro7.com). I used to think my bores were clean till I found out about this stuff!! Holey cow this work wonders! It cleaned out powder and metal folwing like nothing I have ever seen!

Go to www.sigforums.com and do a search under Tw25B, Tetra, FP10, Grease, and get ready to learn a TON of good info! Also go to www.AR15.com and do the same search and there you will find all the info you could ever dream about on this stuff!

After I read up on all this stuff over the last month or so I settled on TW25B, FP-10, (Breakfree as field lube) and Mpro7 for a barrel cleaner and an aerosal cleaner for the action ect.

Chris B., I have tried MPro7 products. The cleaner really does work well and is supposed to be very safe to use. Blue Wonder works about the same but has an ammonia like smell-it has a very small amount of ammonia in it. Blue Wonder is like a paste. You can get MPro7 cleaner either as a jell or as a spray. I agree with you-it is a very good cleaner. I also like the MPro7 gun oil but I really think TW25B is better.

I know of only one place that I can buy MPro7 and it is located in Colorado Springs. I would have to be going there for some other reason and make a stop at that place as well. Otherwise I would have to order it online.

MPro7 cleaner, TW25B, and Blue Wonder would be excellent for our soldiers I believe. I think the Blue Wonder would potentially be more economical because I think a tube of the stuff would last longer.

I have read a little on Blue wonder but not in depth yet! This darn internet has to much info on it! I spend way to much time on this stuff. I will get to Blue wonder soon! Thanks for the tip!

Really if you think about it when you get into this level of quality products they all protect and work extreemly well and one or the other won't make the life of the gun that much longer if any, just like a good motor oil for your car!!!
grin.gif

Chris B., thanks for all the information! You have helped me confirm what direction I should go when it comes to gun care.

Now that I know where to get the stuff, I can find TW25B and Formula 3 easily and locally. But the strange thing is I can't seem to find these products in gunsmith shops. Instead, I found the stuff at a Big R Store, which is a store that sells to lots of farm and ranch people. Is it not strange that TW25B, perhaps the best gun lubricant available, cannot be found at gun shops and instead a person has to go to a store that supplies the needs of farmers and ranchers?

And I found the MPro7 products not at gun shops but at a fishing and tackle store! Pretty strange, huh?

I will definitely clean the barrel inside and out with either MPro7 cleaner or else Blue Wonder. Blue Wonder works but I don't really like the ammonia smell. I think the rest of the gun could be cleaned with Formula 3. And TW25B is going to be my gun lubricant. It is the best stuff I have found so far. But MPro7 gun oil is pretty good.

Glad to help! I also hear Tetra Gun is a top product. I use their grease with good results but I don't know if it is as good, worse or better then TW25B's grease. I will keeping using both till I decide which is best. Tetra can be had a Wal-Mart which is nice! On paper Tetra has the best numbers. Do a search on it at those forums I posted up top and let me know what you think of Tetra. Another good oil I found is Butch's Gun oil. It is a HEAVY oil but not quiet a grease and stays put.

Chris B., if I could easily obtain the MPro7 cleaner I think I would use it. The spray stuff does not last long-I kind of prefer the thicker stuff you can get that is kind of like thick soapy water. MPro7 is supposed to be very safe to use. But it, along with Blue Wonder, will remove all oil and grease, carbon, etc., and the gun has to be lubed immediately afterward.

If I use the Blue Wonder just on the barrel I think I can make the Blue Wonder last a long time. Blue Wonder is kind of a paste, sort of like toothpaste.

I have not been able to find TW25B as a liquid but as a grease it stays put and my slide seems to work really well.

I found Blue Wonder at the local Sportsmens Warehouse and as soon as my Mpro7 is gone I'll give it a try.

Chris B., be aware that Blue Wonder does have a small amount of ammonia and it does smell somewhat like ammonia. Best to clean outside. Blue Wonder was written about in at least one gun magazine or outdoor magazine. I can't remember who wrote the article or what magazine it was in. But the guy who wrote the article said that Blue Wonder was great.

I think it is kind of a tossup between Blue Wonder and MPro7 cleaner. Both work well. Blue Wonder may be more effective removing copper. MPro7 is supposed to be very safe to use. You can use it indoors.

Let me know what you think of the Blue Wonder.

I know it is not good but I have always used harsh solvents inside. I wish there was a way around it in cold weather.

I use and sell Blue Wonder in my shop. Very good stuff. Only problem is that dand tube they put it in. Let's to much product out at a time. The tube also degrades pretty fast and the seal at the end will begin leaking so I suggest you put it into another container. I have found it more effective than MP-7.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Mystic, over the last 2 months I have gone to countless gun forums and have done tons of reading and reasearch on gun oil and solvents. I also found most folks "in the know" are using TW25B and FP-10. TW25B is made in a grease and oil forms and is made by Mil-Comm and Kleen Bore is a distributor for it. It performs extreemly good in desert and artic conditions and is probibly the single best gun oil on the market of anti wear and preservation. FP-10 which is also sold under the Shooters Choice name is also right up there with the best.

As far as cleaning don't use TW25B or other oil. Use a dedicated solvent for that and you will get much better results. I moved away form Hoppes, Outers types and to a product called M-PRO7(www.mpro7.com). I used to think my bores were clean till I found out about this stuff!! Holey cow this work wonders! It cleaned out powder and metal folwing like nothing I have ever seen!

Go to www.sigforums.com and do a search under Tw25B, Tetra, FP10, Grease, and get ready to learn a TON of good info! Also go to www.AR15.com and do the same search and there you will find all the info you could ever dream about on this stuff!

After I read up on all this stuff over the last month or so I settled on TW25B, FP-10, (Breakfree as field lube) and Mpro7 for a barrel cleaner and an aerosal cleaner for the action ect.

I bumped/quoted this old post to let you know where I am gun-lube-wise at this time and the reason I'm on this site. I use FP-10 to C,L&P my firearms. I only use TW25B on the bolt and carrier of my AR-15 as it sometimes gets hot enough to turn the gas tube purple. TW25B seems to hold up longer under the heat load.
I have two questions that may have been answered many times in the intervening years. If so I apologize.

1. The maker of FP-10 (I think George Fennel) has since sold it to Shooters Choice and now makes Weapons Shield. Is it any better and if so in whay way?

2. Is FP-10/Weapons Sheild just as good a cleaner as MPro-7? FP-10 also seems to make future cleaning easier every time its used.

Please don't tell me to use motor oil (synthetic or dino) as I've read those opinions and decided to "waste my $$". I find the value of being able to clean my firearms at the kitchen table PRICELESS from the standpoint of keeping the Mrs. happy.

I you like FP10 you will love Weapon Shield. It is the next step up in performance. FP10 is still owned by MPC but they license the product to Shooter's choice. Same stuff from either vendor. George left MPC some time ago and is making WS under his own venture. MPC no longer has a lube engineer on staff so it makes me wonder about the quality of their products.

The WS seems to hang around much better than FP10 and seems to clean better as well. Corrosion resistance is also supposed to be improved but there is no real way to measure that.
WS is just about all I use now on my guns as a true CLP.

No CLP will clean like a degreaser because it is composed of oil. WS gets my guns plenty clean for me though, with no harsh solvents.

M-Pro7 cleaner is very safe (it is water based) and it does do a good job of cleaning. You can clean a gun inside which is often necessary where I live because it never seems to stop being windy here and I don't want to get dust in my gun when I clean. When I clean outside I like RemOil bore cleaner which is supposed to be safer for the environment and it does not have the smell of Hoppes No. 9. I do like M-Pro7 gun grease but I have been using a food grease that is very light weight and is made by Lubriplate. I am coming to the conclusion that a semi-auto requires some kind of light weight grease rather than a gun oil, although ordinary automatic transmission fluid (Dextron III) seems to work really well as an oil. Other good gun greases include Tetra gun grease (although Tempest said in a post that it had some unsafe components), Wilson Combat grease, Jardine's gun grease, TW25B, and perhaps wheel bearing grease.

I am currently using ATF as a gun oil on my Glock and a small amount of food grease on some critical areas. Even when I shoot a lot of rounds there seems to be little or no wear. And for some reason the gun seems to be easier to clean. I don't know why-maybe the typical gun oil burns up some and leaves a lot of carbon.

I have pretty much lost any confidence in the typical gun oil. I doubt if many of them even have AW/EP additives to protect a gun. Weapon Shield probably does have AW/EP additives and is an exception although if it has any unsafe additives I would not really want to use it.

I have two gun videos from Wilson Combat. One video is for the SIG and the other for the Glock. Wilson says to use grease except in very cold weather. He sells his own grease and gun oil. I kind of like using a combination of gun oil (ATF or you could use Weapon Shield) and a light grease like food grease, Jardine's, TW25B, etc.

You are supposed to clean a gun well with an alcohol solvent before using the TW25B grease which is not compatible with various ordinary gun oils. I am thinking about giving TW25B another try and carefully clean my gun and then use just a small amount of TW25B grease. I was told by a local gun dealer that the local police SWAT use TW25B on their guns. If I went with the TW25B and the M-Pro7 gun cleaner I could clean my guns inside all the time and not worry what the weather, temperature, and wind conditions were outside of my house. It is possible to get TW-25B gun oil also and I could use a combination of the gun oil and the gun grease.

I will say that I have been very impressed with ATF as a gun oil. But it probably would not really be compatible with the TW25B grease. ATF is probably the best gun oil I have ever tried.

I am not sure what grease is the best to use. The food grease is impressive. Tetra gun grease worked well but Tempest says there is one or more unsafe components in Tetra gun grease.

Perhaps give the food grease and ATF a try and see what you think. I have been impressed but in the coming weeks I am going to give the TW25B grease another try because like I said I could clean inside my house all the time.

I would not recommend any motor oil or gear oil for use in a gun. I think I did try Mobil 1 a long time ago and it was pretty much useless.

If you always want to clean a gun inside you will have a hard time beating the TW25B grease (and perhaps the TW25B oil as well) and the M-Pro7 cleaner. But again you need to clean the gun really well. I don't like the idea of using Weapon Shield and the TW25B grease at the same time because it is possible they may not be compatible.

For people who do want to use a regular gun oil and a grease I would recommend Hoppes as the gun oil (or Weapon Shield) and Tetra gun grease. You could probably use the food grease also and Hoppes or Weapon Shield. But personally myself I am very ready to move away from almost every gun oil and use ATF, perhaps TW25B gun oil (with the TW25B grease), or Weapon Shield.

Judgemax I forgot to mention there is a cleaner sold by the people who make TW25B called MC25 that works really well and you can use indoors to clean guns. It is cheaper than M-Pro7. I have to order it because I can't find it locally although I can find TW25B grease and oil locally. If you can ever find the jell-like M-Pro7 it lasts longer than the spray.

I can get M-Pro7 cleaner spray locally but it does not last long. It really does a good job of cleaning however. So good you really need to lubricate the gun all over after cleaning. It removes all grease, oil, and carbon. And it is safe. So is the MC-25.

For cleaning indoors I don't think you can beat the Mil-Comm products and the Hoppes Elite products. No smell and very effective. The Hoppes Elite gun oil does seem to make a slide work well but for some reason my Glock did not seem to like it. If I ever used the Hoppes Elite gun oil again I would also put some grease like food grease in some critical places.The Mil-Comm cleaner is probably best used with the Mil-Comm lubricates and the Hoppes Elite cleaner with the Hoppes gun oil.

Anybody who has not tried the Hoppes Elite cleaner and the Mil-Comm MC-25 cleaner does not know what they are missing. They are really good cleaners. Once a year or so I use Blue Wonder outside (it has an ammonia smell) to be sure I get copper out of the gun barrel. Hoppes Elite really will remove all traces of grease, oil, and carbon with no smell and safe to use indoors. The only problems are the price and the stuff in spray form does not last very long. Use it only for the inside of the gun barrel. It greatly reduces how much time it takes to remove stuff from inside the gun barrel.

Tempest would be able to answer your questions on Weapon Shield better than me. He has a lot of experience using Weapon Shield. It is supposed to be non-toxic and can be used to clean and lubricate. I think I would still use the food grease on some critical areas.

Thanks guys.

I called George and he's sending me a sample needle oiler of WS. I puchased a GALLON of FP-10 from him at the Orlando Shot Show in 2000 (I think) before Shooters Choice started selling it and I have well over a half gallon left. I clean my firearms compulsively and exclusively with the stuff and for many other kinds of CLP purposes.

He suggested that if I switched to WS, I could use 12 oz of FP-10 at a time in my car so it doesn't go to waste. He told me it was actually better than Engine Shield for that purpose. Any thoughts about using FP-10 in a newer model car.

I asked George if FP would be of any benifit in a car engine (11-1 comp ratio) b/c I was looking for an excuse to try something "better" for my guns. He said adding 12oz in the crank case would improve milage and reduce wear -- but that's what I've heard from every oil ad.

Given the money I have sitting in the garage in the FP-10 jug, I doubt I'll be switching to anything else for my guns or car any time soon.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Judgemax
Please don't tell me to use motor oil (synthetic or dino) as I've read those opinions and decided to "waste my $$". I find the value of being able to clean my firearms at the kitchen table PRICELESS from the standpoint of keeping the Mrs. happy.

I'm not understanding what "Keeping the Mrs. happy" has to do with using motor oil on your guns, and or cleaning them at the kitchen table??? Bill T.

I use TW-25B and a product called Weapon shield and this is the ultimate combo I have found, although quite expensive.

For cleaning copper and carbon I use KG-1 and KG-12, respectively. There is a nice test done of the major cleaning products and KG-1, KG-12 and Ed's Red from Brownells were the 3 recommended products. The only thing that cleaned copper better was very high concentrated ammonia.

For the final touch on the outside of the weapons I use stuff called Eezox. It came in at the top for rust prevention in testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back