Purolator PureOne air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read through most of the posts in the air filter section trying to find more info on this filter. I found that a few users have switched to it after having high silicone using regular paper filters.

What I'm concerned about is the oil on the media getting through covering sensors. Has anyone using these filters noticed any oil film buildup on the intake past the filter?
I put one in the car last night and will check the intake after a couple days.

I doubt there's enough oil on these to foul your MAF. The last I looked at one -- there's very little oil compared to an actual oil-gauze filter (and I haven't had one of those mess up my MAF).

I used a K&N filter (which also has oil) for about 3K-5K and never had a problem with that. I stopped using it because my Si levels in my UOA were high.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
I've read through most of the posts in the air filter section trying to find more info on this filter. I found that a few users have switched to it after having high silicone using regular paper filters.

You have that switched. You see higher silicone numbers when you get away from the paper filter, not with it.

Don't know why I thought high Si levels meant dirt and stuff getting by the filter.

The thing I don't get is with around 10 less pleats but thicker ones than the fram I had in there, how do they claim increasing airflow:

"With twice the trapping capacity of conventional air filters, PureONE air filters feature exclusive Micronic filtration, allowing 70% less harmful contaminants into your engine and increasing airflow. Greater airflow improves horsepower and your overall vehicle performance."

If it really does trap 70% more contaminants, after say 5 to 10k miles wouldn't it actually be more restrictive than a regular paper filter?

Thought there'd be more interest in this filter. Anyway I checked it today after changing the oil and there's no sign of any oil getting on anything.

I'm not sure it seals very well though. The tip of one corner was bent inward when I took it out of the box and it seems like it could use thicker rubber around the outside edge to give it a snugger fit.

I will probably try a Carquest filter next time since Wix makes their filters.

I just bought this filter yesterday for the explorer. I thought it looked pretty good, much deeper pleats than the K&N I was using. It claims to have a much higher dirt capacity than standard filters. And to add oil onto a paper filter seemed like it would really block most dust particles. The overall surface area of filter is huge compared to the other filters in the store. The seal on mine seemed to fit really nice and snug, the K&N was loosely fit. The seal is thick soft material (on the Pureone) so that it molds into position when I put the airbox together.

Originally Posted By: gto78
I just bought this filter yesterday for the explorer. I thought it looked pretty good, much deeper pleats than the K&N I was using. It claims to have a much higher dirt capacity than standard filters. And to add oil onto a paper filter seemed like it would really block most dust particles. The overall surface area of filter is huge compared to the other filters in the store. The seal on mine seemed to fit really nice and snug, the K&N was loosely fit. The seal is thick soft material (on the Pureone) so that it molds into position when I put the airbox together.

i just bought a pureone today. and i am cosigning what gto78 said. i switched my k&n out because of the high Si posts. looks to be a great filter. we'll see on the coming uoa's.

I just changed the oil today and decided to take a look at the filter..

There are specs of dirt/sand all around the edges of the filter and a small amount of it got past.

Since it all got sucked past the oily media, I guess that made some of it stick to the inside of the intake box part and to the part of the filters rubber seal that's on the inside of the airbox..

I really don't like the design of the airbox, that might be a big part of the problem.

Anyone with the Buick Lacrosse 3.6 notice how it doesn't clamp very tight towards the middle?
Ours actually bows out a bit in the middle because the only thing holding it tight is a latch on both corners of the top. There are four slats on the bottom that push down into the other half of the airbox.

I've been reading through more posts and it looks like the standard fram might be one of the better choices.
I had one of those in there before this one anyway..

After I get one and install it I'll post back if it looks like it seals any better for anyone who's interested.

The PureOne only has 5k miles on it
frown.gif

Well I ended up stopping by carquest and picking up one of their filters. Wouldn't have made it to walmart to pick up a fram till later on and wanted to get the purolator out of the car.

The gasket on it was hardly any thicker, but it was a little wider and taller so it fit much more snug in the airbox.

I remember reading all these good reviews on wix filters, but lately I've seen more good things said about the standard fram air filter. In one post I read a user had lower si levels using a fram compared to the wix..

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Is the Filter from the dealer better?

The filter that was in the car when new looked just like the Fram I replaced it with except it was a different color. It was a much better fit than the pureone. As for the filter media.. I for one wont be going back to oiled.

I used that filter but took it out because it just made the throttle feel lazy and restricted. I inspected it when I took it out and boy did it ever filter dirt well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back