Where are the grease fittings on a '96 Lumina FWD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to lube the grease fittings on a 1996 Chevy Lumina. How many grease fittings an where are they located? I took a quick look under the front suspension and didn't see any.

So now, 12 or so years after the car was built, you want to lube the front end?
What you see is what you got, none.
GM lubed everything for "life", (no grease fittings} that is till they fail, then you can replace them with parts from NAPA that have zerk fittings.....

This is not my car. I am borrowing it while I work on my primary car- a RWD Impala SS which has the traditional GM 11 grease points. I prefer the RWD configuration over the FWD. I just replaced the alternator in the Lumina and it was a painful experience. With my Impala I could have the alt out in no time. RE: the lubed for life. components....I remember when some domestic car manuf. started that practive and placed dummy bolts which could be replaced with a real grease fitting! Now I understand they do not have a dummy plug and you do what you suggested- replace with an aftermarket part with a part with a grease fitting.

THe b-body grease points are nice and easy to find. Mine has 17 all togeher
wink.gif
(2 for the sway bar, and two for each rear LCA) :)

Some Japanese cars did the same thing. My dad told me that he owned 2 Toyota Corollas during the 1970s. They had "Lubed for life" suspension components, but they were making all kinds of noises, and dad didn't have the $$ to get them replaced. A friend of his showed him how a bolt could be removed, and a zerk could be screwed in. It worked well enough for him to sell the car.

Yes, RWD has many advantages over FWD, but FWD has one very big one. It is cheaper to build.

You will only have 2 or 4...

one on each outer tie rod and maybe two on each lower ball
joint,,that's it..

Many modern vehicles don't have a single grease fitting on them. Whenever I replace a tie rod end, u-joint, ball joint or the like I try to get a grease fitting equipped replacement, but sometimes they aren't even available.

With a very few notable exceptions,(Tarus tie rod ends, F150 pitman arms) modern non-greasable components I see on hundreds of vehicles last longer than the old style ones with zerks. When you buy replacement parts with zerks, make sure they have a lifetime warranty,,,,your gonna need it. Only exception here would be MOOG brand "problem solver" parts that are built much heavier than OE.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back