MOBIL1 0W-40 vs. CASTROL EDGE 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning

I would love to make a UOA, but here in Bulgaria it is very expensive since we have just private laboratories of some transportation companies and no such services as the ones offered by "Blackstone"....
Anyone interested in such business in Bulgaria? I do not know if people will be too much interested in doing UOA/VOA, but it is an idea..

In europe you can have free UOA's if you buy ELF-TOTAL oils from the official distributors.
Search in google for "ANAC program elf" .
I've done it once, but now i use agip .

Today I bought EDGE FORMULA RS 0W-40, which is probably the older version ot EDGE SPORT. But it was at a very good price, so I got it
happy2.gif

I think it is quite diffrent from MAGNATEC, and is PAO based... I think...

Doug, as I said above.

Magnatec has been around since 1999 in Australia. Originally, it was a "Dealer Only" lubricant until Castrol decided to release it to the retail market.

I used it in my 1999 Lexus IS200 and again in the 2003 RX330. It's a good product but not a synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Hi,
LexusAussie - You said this:
"It's a good product but not a synthetic oil."

This is incorrect!

The forerunner of "Magnatec" was in fact GTX Magnetic and here in OZ it was sold as a 15W-50 lubricant. It WAS a semi-synthetic lubricant and sold during the mid 1990s! It used Castrol's Unique Modular Attraction (UOA) chemistry - and was "synthetically enhanced" in Castrol's words!

It was superceded by GTX Magnatec (with UMA) 10W-40 around 1998-9 and was also advertised as a "synthetically enhanced" lubricant. In their terminolgy it was stated to have a semi-synthetic base fluid

And they both did!

I assisted in the development of Castrol Enduro LD a semi-synthetic 15W-50 HDEO over some years during the early/mid 1990s. Over 10m kms were covered over four years in formulating this lubricant for public consumption. It was merchandised by Castrol as a "part synthetic"

Some Dealer only PCMOs merchandised in OZ by Castrol were "TXT 5W-30" and "Softec Plus 5W-30". There were others too and one Porsche V8 of mine was on such a lubricant for its first 100K due to dealer contracted servicing arrangements

However, this thread is not about Magnatec it's about Edge and M1 0W-40 both of which are advanced lubricants in their own right

Last edited:
Doug Hillary,
What is the difference between "semi-synthetic", "synthetic technology" (I believe these are oils with group 3 basic oil, I am not sure), "part-synthetic"?

Here are the specs of Castrol Edge Formula RS.
http://129.35.64.91/bpglis/lubtds.nsf/technicaldata/053E5D8190BBA48C80256C450039DC81?OpenDocument

Here are the specs of Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40:
http://129.35.64.91/bpglis/lubtds.nsf/technicaldata/69D7F6DDE3F277AC8025734C003B2B70?OpenDocument

So the Pour Point is different... and some other specs...

Formula RS is in the German Site of Castrol. There is not EDGE SPORT 0W-40 in the German site.. but in UK site there is no FORMULA RS...
What is Castrol doing? Maybe EDGE SPORT is a little bit better than the EDGE FORMULA RS... What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi,
SpeedyMan - This subject has wasted lots of Legal dollars and much time on this Forum too over several years. ExxonMobil and Castrol certainly know a lot about the "issue" having paid for some definitions in Court

For us as users there is probably a much simpler explantion - Group 3 lubricants are the "semi" or "part" synthetics. Group 4, 5 and 6 are the "synthetics"

Castrol is in the process of "Globalising" their products I believe - so is ExxonMobil. Too many variations of the one it appears. It is/was also a matter of supply/demand and the relevant "Continental" specifications/applications requirements

For me many Group 3 lubricants now rival or exceed the performance of some older formulation Group 4/5 products and at a much better price too!

Could be that they rival the group 4/5 lubricants!
MOBIL1 is no longer 5W-40 but 0W-40, and there is MOBIL SYNT which is 5W-40. Same with Castrol Edge and other Castrol brands.

So there is a big jump in these technologies.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
LexusAussie - You said this:
"It's a good product but not a synthetic oil."

This is incorrect!

It was superceded by GTX Magnatec (with UMA) 10W-40 around 1998-9 and was also advertised as a "synthetically enhanced" lubricant. In their terminolgy it was stated to have a semi-synthetic base fluid

Doug,

First of all, apologies to the Forum for highjacking this thread.

GTX Magnatec did indeed come onto the market in 1988/99 as a 10W-40. I've used it in my vehicles from 1999 until 2007. It is a Semi-Synthetic (ie a Mineral Based oil blended with Synthetic Oils). It is NOT a full Synthetic Oil.

It's base specs are outlined in the TDS:

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/5052_Castrol_Magnatec_10W40_119369_2006_10.pdf

They are not those of a Synthetic Oil and there is no claim from Castrol that Magnatec is a synthetic oil.

Wikipedia defines a Semi-Synthetic oil as "Semi-synthetic oils (also called 'synthetic blends') are blends of mineral oil with no more than 30% synthetic oil. ". Castrol Magnatec is a Semi-Synthetc Oil

The Castrol Magnatec Professional is a "Fully Synthetic" according to Castrol's Marketing Speak yet I have confirmed with Castrol's Tech Division that it is Group III oil.

Again, Wikepedia states "Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil ONLY in the United States. Group III based lubricants are not allowed to be marketed as "synthetic" in any market outside of the USA."

I have the following response from Castrol's Technical Line in an email to me dated 16/1/2008 regarding Magnatec Professional:

" Hi David.
Thank you for your e-mail enquiry regarding Magnatec Professional 5W/40.

The base oil is Grp 111 (hydrocraked, high Viscosity Index).
Most oils whether mineral, semi or full synthetic would be compatible to mix.

If you have any further enquiries please contact the Technical Helpline on 1300 557 998, Mon - Fri, 8.30am - 5.00pm."

Regards,

Product Applications & Projects
Castrol Lubricants
ph: 1300 557 998
fax: 03 9268 4394"

Based on all the above:

1. Castrol Magnatec is NOT a Synthetic Oil exactly as I stated. It is a Semi-Synthetic at best;
2. Castrol Magnatec Professional is NOT a Synthetic Oil. It is a Group III Dino Oil

I am not in the habit of using products that I have not thoroughly researched

BTW. My name is Dave if you read my signature

Regards

For us as users there is probably a much simpler explantion - Group 3 lubricants are the "semi" or "part" synthetics. Group 4, 5 and 6 are the "synthetics"

Group III are highly refined Dino Oils. The US legal definition only applies in the USA. Semi-Synthetics would have to be a Group II oil mixed with no more than 30% Group 4,5 or 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil#Synthetic_Base_Stocks

I have no issue with your comment that Group III lubricants now rival or exceed the performance of some older formulation Group 4/5 products and at a much better price too.

Hi,
Dave - you said this;
"BTW. My name is Dave if you read my signature"

A touch of rudeness perhaps?

As for your comments well MUST we assume that YOU are correct and that Castrol's advertising data produced in 1997-8 and onwards is WRONG then?

I will stay with Castrol's comments thanks - I have worked closely with their Chemists and Lube Engineers since 1980 but I suppose that matters little too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m6pwr
FWIW, TOTAL/ELF has come out with a new oil, TOTAL Quartz Energy 9000 0w-30 that meets most all of the euro car mfrs standards and which is, according to their MSDS, a Group IV PAO base stock (and priced accordingly - - its expensive). As soon as I can get hold of a bottle I will do a VOA and post the results here on BITOG.

I have been using ELF/TOTAL branded oil in my two Saabs for about a year now. Previoulsy I used only Mobil-1. I switched to ELF/TOTAL because their grade of oil with the necessary GM-LL-025-A specification compliance for the newer car is actually less expensive than the appropriate Mobil-1 grade in my local area! Although only slightly. Check specialty shops in your area for this oil as you may be surprised by the price too

Hi,
Dave - you said this;
"BTW. My name is Dave if you read my signature"

A touch of rudeness perhaps?

As for your comments well MUST we assume that YOU are correct and that Castrol's advertising data produced in 1997-8 and onwards is WRONG then?

I will stay with Castrol's comments thanks - I have worked closely with their Chemists and Lube Engineers since 1980 but I suppose that matters little too!

Doug,

it is not my intention to be rude. Just pointing out my name. Sigantures are there for a reason, that's all. If you take offence, I can't help that.

Your knowledge and experience are invaluable to this Forum and I respect your opinion.

Having said that, you do tend to nitpick though (I do as well) and bristle when someone challenges your views (as you have done here and as I do as well at times). I was merely pointing out that what you had stated was not in accordance with what Castrol is publishing and what is the generally accepted definition of Semi-Synthetic and Synthetic oils as outlined in the links in my post.

Castrol's own marketing material and comments re Magnatec do NOT align with your opinions based on the link to the TDS for Castrol Magnatec and the email from Castrol's own Technical line.

If you can provide links or other physical evidence to back your claims, I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Fairs, fair Doug. I have read other posts from you asking other Forum members to provide proof to back their claims. It works both ways.

Always happy to agree to disagree and I enjoy a robust debate. You have strong opinions and so do I.

Again, apologies to the Forum for highjacking this thread. Perhaps we should set up a different thread?

Hello D.Hillary & Dave,

No problem for me, I enjoy your debate.
Anyway, I have posted another topic in this forum: CASTROL MAGNATEC vs. MOBIL SUPER S. It is better if the administrator or moderator of this forum moves your debate there.
But not a real problem about this.

So CASTROL EDGE, MOBIL1 & MOBIL SUPER S have a similar smell, quite different than the CASTROL MAGNATEC. I really believe magnatec is not that good, it is more like a dino oil.
I am not an expert in oil or chemistry, but with this simple test I suppose that Magnatec is made from quite different base oils than the others mentioned above.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi,
Dave - You said;

"Magnatec is a conventional dino oil (semi-synth at best)"

I reacted to that as it was wrong!

I only want the facts out on Topics and that is why I will not contribute unless I can back up my statements!

I will provide scanned data to you if you PM me your e-mail address. It will be from the 1998-9 and 2001-2 Castrol Lube Guides

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back